Congo by Michael Crichton

Congo (1980)

by Michael Crichton

English (59)  German (1)  Hebrew (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (62)
Not a very good book. Not nearly as good as Jurrasic Park. Frankly, the only reason I kept reading was because I wanted to know what was going to happen to Amy the Gorilla. The ending was just plain weird. It's like Crichton just got tired of writing so he stopped. ( )
  AliceAnna | Oct 19, 2014 |
This is my second favorite Michael Crichton book, the first being Jurassic Park. ( )
  storeyonastory | Oct 12, 2014 |
A page turning novel that seems to be written so as to easily translate to the screen. This is not a fault. ( )
  DeanClark | May 6, 2014 |
Thrilling, as Crichton always is. ( )
  wareagle78 | Feb 16, 2014 |
It's a nice book. A bit scary, but it's really nice to read. It is a very interesting story.
The movie is almost worthless though, really, don't judge the story on that! ( )
  Farore | Feb 7, 2014 |
The more experience and insight I obtain into human nature, the more convinced do I become that the greater portion of a man is purely animal. --Henry Morton Stanley, 1887
The large male [gorilla] held my attention. . . . He gave an impression of dignity and restrained power, of absolute certainty in his majestic appearance. I felt a desire to communicate with him. . . . Never before had I had this feeling on meeting an animal. As we watched each other across the valley, I wondered if he recognized the kinship that bound us. --George B. Schaller, 1964
For Bob Gottlieb
Dawn came to the Congo rain forest. The pale sun burned away the morning chill and the clinging damp mist, revealing a gigantic silent world.

A twentieth-century adventure that will plunge you into the heart of Africa with three intrepid adventurers, in a desperate bid to find the fabulous diamonds of the Lost City of Zinj. In it you will encounter the Kigani cannibals, flaming volcanoes, ferocious gorillas, and Amy. Cuddly, fluent in sign language, and fun to be with: in a tight situation she's the smartest gorilla you're ever likely to meet.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060541830, Mass Market Paperback)

If you saw the 1995 film adaptation of this Crichton thriller, somebody owes you an apology. While you're waiting for that to happen, try reading the vastly more intelligent novel on which the movie was based. The broad lines of the plot remain the same: A research team deep in the jungle disappears after a mysterious and grisly gorilla attack. A subsequent team, including a sign-language-speaking simian named Amy, follows the original team's tracks only to be subjected to more mysterious and grisly gorilla attacks. If you can look past the breathless treatment of '80s technology, like voice-recognition software and 256K RAM modules (the book was written in 1980), you'll find the same smart use of science and edge-of-your-seat suspense shared by Crichton's other work. --Paul Hughes

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:19:44 -0400)

On an expedition to return Amy, his talking gorilla, to her home in the Congo, Professor Peter Elliot is joined by others who hope to find a legendary diamond mine guarded by mutant gorillas.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,925,097 books! | Top bar: Always visible