Congo by Michael Crichton

Congo (1980)

by Michael Crichton

5,283None832 (3.21)66
20th century (14) action (19) adventure (114) Africa (121) animals (21) apes (31) archaeology (19) Congo (48) Crichton (33) ebook (20) fiction (579) gorillas (96) horror (33) jungle (27) made into movie (15) Michael Crichton (35) mystery (40) novel (55) own (20) paperback (32) read (82) science (22) science fiction (350) sf (27) sff (15) suspense (74) technothriller (22) thriller (259) to-read (28) unread (23)

English (57)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (59)
Thrilling, as Crichton always is. ( )
  wareagle78 | Feb 16, 2014 |
It's a nice book. A bit scary, but it's really nice to read. It is a very interesting story.
The movie is almost worthless though, really, don't judge the story on that! ( )
  Farore | Feb 7, 2014 |
when a team was found dead in the Jungles of the Congo, Karren Ross is sent to investigate their deaths and complete their mission. Find the diamonds. Along with her comes Peter Elliot and Amy the gorilla, who have come to solve the cause of Amy's nightmares. Numerous enemies try to kill the team, but the biggest threat is an unknown species of gorilla whom were worshipped by the people of the lost city of Zinj.

I liked this book but i didn't love it. The biggest problem I had with this book was the ending, it seemed like it was rushed and I feel like some of the characters actions should have been switched with each other. Another con is the part about the diamonds being used for lasers and handing the responsibilities of war to computers. It also sounded like he was going to put some romance in it but either forgot about it or gave up. Other than that, I thought this book was great and might try reading some of Michael Crichton's other books. ( )
  br14dysm | Dec 4, 2013 |
May in fact have already read this
  Chris.Graham | Jul 30, 2013 |
Pretty decent. Lost civilizations are always fun. ( )
  Snukes | Jun 14, 2013 |
The more experience and insight I obtain into human nature, the more convinced do I become that the greater portion of a man is purely animal. --Henry Morton Stanley, 1887
The large male [gorilla] held my attention. . . . He gave an impression of dignity and restrained power, of absolute certainty in his majestic appearance. I felt a desire to communicate with him. . . . Never before had I had this feeling on meeting an animal. As we watched each other across the valley, I wondered if he recognized the kinship that bound us. --George B. Schaller, 1964
For Bob Gottlieb
Dawn came to the Congo rain forest. The pale sun burned away the morning chill and the clinging damp mist, revealing a gigantic silent world.

A twentieth-century adventure that will plunge you into the heart of Africa with three intrepid adventurers, in a desperate bid to find the fabulous diamonds of the Lost City of Zinj. In it you will encounter the Kigani cannibals, flaming volcanoes, ferocious gorillas, and Amy. Cuddly, fluent in sign language, and fun to be with: in a tight situation she's the smartest gorilla you're ever likely to meet.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060541830, Mass Market Paperback)

If you saw the 1995 film adaptation of this Crichton thriller, somebody owes you an apology. While you're waiting for that to happen, try reading the vastly more intelligent novel on which the movie was based. The broad lines of the plot remain the same: A research team deep in the jungle disappears after a mysterious and grisly gorilla attack. A subsequent team, including a sign-language-speaking simian named Amy, follows the original team's tracks only to be subjected to more mysterious and grisly gorilla attacks. If you can look past the breathless treatment of '80s technology, like voice-recognition software and 256K RAM modules (the book was written in 1980), you'll find the same smart use of science and edge-of-your-seat suspense shared by Crichton's other work. --Paul Hughes

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:19:44 -0400)

Armed with the latest gifts of advanced technology, a California scientist, a ruthless corporation agent, and a mercenary hunter face the dangers of the Congo jungle in search of the diamonds of the lost city of Zinj.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,412,157 books! | Top bar: Always visible