All About Roasting: A New Approach to a…

All About Roasting: A New Approach to a Classic Art

by Molly Stevens

44None260,475 (4.83)None

I got this from the library to read the section on the science of roasting. I couldn't put it down. It is massive so I didn't read the entire book but it was fascinating to understand what I kind of knew from the feel of cooking to a scientific oh this is why this works kind of way. Delicious recipes too. ( )
  E.J | Apr 3, 2013 |
Let me just preface this review by saying I've never gone wrong with a Molly Stevens recipe. The tips on her blog for cooking the perfect turkey made my Thanksgiving dinner last year. All About Braising is one of my all-time favorite cookbooks, and I don't even own a copy. Fortunately, the library does! All About Roasting follows this tradition and doesn't disappoint.

Stevens suggests roasting some things I'd never even considered, like hamburgers. I haven't tried it yet but they certainly sound good. The slow-roasted duck breast is another recipe I intend to try, as is the whole roasted rainbow trout. I also copied a couple of shrimp recipes: Herb-Roasted Shrimp with Pancetta and Garlic-Roasted Shrimp with Tomatoes, Capers and Feta. She doesn't neglect vegetables, desserts or even condiments, however. I tried a recipe for roasted fingerling potatoes coated in a mustard sauce and liked them, and I'm intending to try Slow-Roasted Grapes and Roasted Lemon Chutney as well. Can't wait! ( )
  4fish | Jan 19, 2012 |
Stevens is the best author I know when it comes to single techniques.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 039306526X, Hardcover)

A master teacher provides delicious recipes and explains the principles behind the essential technique of roasting.

Successful restaurateurs have always known that adding "roasted" to a dish guarantees immediate appeal. Molly Stevens brings her trademark thoroughness and eye for detail to the technique of roasting. She breaks down when to use high heat, moderate heat, or low heat to produce juicy, well-seared meats, caramelized drippings, and concentrated flavors. Her 150 recipes feature the full range of dishes from beef, lamb, pork, and poultry to seafood and vegetables. Showstoppers include porchetta ingeniously made with a loin of pork, a roast goose with potato-sage stuffing, and a one-hour beef rib roast-dishes we've dreamed of making, and that Molly makes possible with her precise and encouraging instructions. Other recipes such as a Sunday supper roast chicken, herb-roasted shrimp, and blasted broccoli make this an indispensable book for home cooks and chefs. All About Roasting is like having the best teacher in America in the kitchen with you. 150 full-color illustrations

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:23:56 -0400)

Presents general techniques for successful roasting and two hundred recipes for creating roasted beef, lamb, pork, chicken, poultry, fish, shellfish, vegetable, and fruit dishes.

W.W. Norton

An edition of this book was published by W.W. Norton.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,481,931 books! | Top bar: Always visible