Lidia's Italy in America by Lidia…

Lidia's Italy in America

by Lidia Matticchio Bastianich

Recently added byprivate library, wjmcomposer, Gloria-the-Chef, sanjuanista

I'm extremely critical of cookbooks, finding little other than avarice in them. I usually feel that the author has written a quick sell, duping people into paying money for reheated leftovers of other cookbooks.

When I began this book, I went in highly skeptical, even though I actually hold Lidia Bastianich in high regard based upon her excellent show, and the celebration of both authentic Italian cookery as well as the recognition that while Italian-American cookery isn't the same thing, it's of equal stature, if not of age. This book is an excellent resource, even the pasta section by itself is worth it. Will you find bizarre, cutting edge recipes? No, that's not the point. Will you find recipes carted directly off the boat by grandma? No, it's not trying to do that, although she will make frequent references to how these recipes evolved from the originals, and explain what small changes you could make to make it the traditional Italian one.

If you've ever made an "authentic" Italian recipe, only to realize it really wasn't what you were hoping for, you probably wanted the version in this book. Highly Recommended. ( )
  wjmcomposer | Nov 5, 2014 |

wjmcomposer | Nov 5, 2014 |
Lydia Bastianich has made a career out of interpreting Italian food for Americans. This cookbook, companion to a television show, explores how Italian food was recreated and changed in the United States. Scattered among the recipes are two- or three-page sections that talk about specific Italian-American enclaves in various cities across the US, as well as focusing on specific dishes. The recipes all look delicious, although holiday cooking has prevented me from trying anything more than the chicken tetrazzini, although I made it with leftover turkey instead of chicken.

If you're a fan of Italian food, as I am, then don't miss this cookbook. ( )
  4fish | Nov 30, 2011 |

Lidia Matticchio Bastianichprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Manuali, Tanya Bastianichsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

After taking us on journeys into her own kitchen and into kitchens across Italy, Lidia Bastianich now invites us on a road trip into the heart of Italian American cooking today. Traveling around the United States, Lidia visits Italian American communities that created something new out of the recipes passed down from their ancestors.

As she explores this utterly delectable and distinctive cuisine, Lidia shows us that every kitchen is different, every Italian community distinct, and little clues are buried in each dish: the Sicilian-style semolina bread and briny olives in New Orleans Muffuletta Sandwiches, the Neapolitan crust of New York pizza, and mushrooms (abundant in the United States, but scarce in Italy) stuffed with breadcrumbs, just as peppers or tomatoes are. Lidia shows us how this cuisine is an original American creation that redefines what we know as Italian food while always paying tribute to Italy, and she gives recognition where it is long overdue to the many industrious Italians across the country who have honored the traditions of their homeland in a delicious new style.

And of course, there are Lidia’s irresistible recipes, including
·        Baltimore Crab Cakes
·        Pittsburgh’s Primanti’s Sandwiches
·        Chicago Deep-Dish Pizza
·        Eggplant Parmigiana from the Bronx
·        Gloucester Baked Halibut
·        Chicken Trombino from Philadelphia
·        authentic Italian American Meatloaf, and Spaghetti and Meatballs
·        Prickly Pear Granita from California
·        and, of course, a handful of cheesecakes and cookies that you’d recognize in any classic Italian bakery

This is a loving exploration of a fascinating cuisine—as only Lidia could give us.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:44:05 -0400)

"In this companion book to her upcoming public television series, Lidia takes us on a road trip into the heart of Italian American cooking today. As she explores the multifaceted approach to this utterly delectable and distinctive cuisine, we come to see that every kitchen and every Italian community is different. Clues are buried in each dish: the Sicilian-style semolina bread and briny olives in New Orleans muffaletta sandwiches, the Neapolitan crust of New York pizza, and the smoky provola that tops braised chicken breasts in Philadelphia. She talks with creative cooks all over the country--farmers, housewives, butchers, fishermen, and food entrepreneurs--about the ingredients they use, their kitchen secrets, and of course, their favorite recipes: from Rhode Island Clams Casino and Baltimore Crab Cakes to Bronx Eggplant Parmesan and Boston Cream Cakes. And she gives recognition where it is long overdue to the many industrious Italians across the country who have honored the traditions of their homeland in a delicious new style. A loving exploration of a fascinating cuisine--as only Lidia could give us"--"In this companion cookbook to her upcoming new PBS series, Lidia explores her Italian-American heritage and brings us 175 recipes from all parts of America where Italians have settled and prospered"--… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,370,180 books! | Top bar: Always visible