In Search Of Schrodinger's Cat: Quantum…

In Search Of Schrodinger's Cat: Quantum Physics and Reality (1984)

by John Gribbin

Recently added byBooksCatsEtc, SamMcCallum, private library, garryjr, LCK82, Sabrina3699, prichardson, m0mms, Floyd3345
    Physics For the Rest of Us by Roger S. Jones (GuyDeWhitney)
    GuyDeWhitney: The best intro to modern physics I have ever read! Gribbon is the one that first made quantum theory have meaning for me.
    Quarantine by Greg Egan (hungeri)
    hungeri: A good scientific book and a sci-fi based on the same subject. The scientific base of the sci-if is strong, but as it is a fiction, you can relax and enjoy it without a worry about "but is it true", "can it be true?".
    Science: A History 1543-2001 by John Gribbin (hungeri)
    hungeri: Mindkét tudományos ismeretterjesző mű történeti megközelítésű ugyanazon szerző tollából. Egyedül a téma különbözik. :-)

English (16)  Danish (1)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  All languages (19)
In the search for Schrodinger's Cat Gribben shows us the fantastic whimsical world of the Quantum. Walking Dead Cats notwithstanding, it is a fascinating journey into that world that even a layman like me can understand. And it opens the door to link the known and seen physical world to the unseen world and our interactions with the unseen by just looking at it!
For anybody with a Theological background (like me) it gives entrance to a wormhole tunnel between the two seemingly incompatible genres of knowledge.

Having a Folio Society version adds icing to the cake with its beautifully crafted design. It is a pleasure to hold in the hand, feel the cover and pages, and peruse the beauty of the content. Well worth having a copy! ( )
  AmishTechie | Jul 2, 2017 |
In Search of Schrodinger's Cat Quantum Physics and Reality John Gribbin
★★★

Published by Black Swan 1991

275 Pages

This is the story of quantum physics told step by step in easy to access language, however I would say you need to know a little about physics and the theories of the universe to get the most out of this book.

Despite knowing a little about physics and chemistry I still found some parts of this book hard to follow, you really need to have an interest in the subject matter to compel you to read to the end otherwise you could get bogged down in science and put the book aside for a later date.

I enjoyed this book however as it was originally written in 1983 science has moved on especially with the research into the Higgs Boson at CERN so it would need updating and to appeal to a wider audience the science could be written more basically.

The bibliography has recommended some Science Fiction books which I intend to read.
  BookWormM | Jan 15, 2016 |
For those of you that are into Quantum Physics... this is an excellent intro to concepts. The very act of measuring something can change it's reality. You get it all in one package- history, discoveries, speculations and realities. Is the cat in the box alive, dead or perhaps something else? Read the book to find out! John Gribbin took difficult concepts and put the explanations into easy to understand terms. ( )
  LarryGerovac | Jan 21, 2015 |
The first part of the book covers what many other popular science books do: the development of quantum mechanics. But what it makes this book interesting is the explanation of the actual experiments that has been done to confirm the theoretical expectations. Very recommended to those interested in physics. ( )
  amarcobio | Jun 22, 2014 |
The author holds a PhD in astrophysics from Cambridge. In this exposition of Quantum Mechanics and Physics, and Quantum theory, he is not content with merely shocking us with the fact that Einstein never accepted it, but he explains why. He links the Quantum to our ability to use nuclear power, the cathode ray tube TV, computers, DNA and genetic engineering.
  keylawk | Jan 1, 2013 |
I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.
—Erwin Schrödinger
Nothing is real.
—John Lennon
Anyone who is not shocked by quantum theory has not understood it.
—Niels Bohr, Part One: The Quantum
All science is either physics or stamp collecting.
—Ernest Rutherford, Part Two: Quantum Mechanics
It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it.
—Joseph Joubert, Part Three: ...And Beyond
Prologue
The cat of our title is a mythical beast, but Schrodinger was a real person.
Isaac Newton invented physics, and all of science depends on physics.

À la question : " Qu'est-ce que la réalité ? ", la mécanique quantique apporte des réponses problématiques. Erwin Schrodinger, l'un des grands créateurs de la théorie, auteur de l'équation qui porte son nom, en était si intimement persuadé et choqué qu'il inventa un animal mythique, un chat, dont on ne pourrait dire si, placé dans certaines conditions, il serait mort ou vivant. De fait, jusqu'aux fameuses expériences d'Alain Aspect, menées à Paris en 1982, la question de la réalité n'a cessé d'embarrasser les physiciens. Et pourtant, le succès de la théorie ne s'est jamais démenti, sa fécondité est remarquable, la mécanique quantique est véritablement l'épine dorsale de la science moderne.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553342533, Paperback)

Part history book and part remedial physics text for those who lost interest when the equations started getting unintuitive, In Search of Schrödinger's Cat explains quantum physics in a way that's not only clear, but also enjoyable.

Gribbin opens with the subjects that most physics professors have just started to examine at the end of the semester: The mysterious character of light, the valence concept in Nils Bohr's atomic model, radioactive decay, and the physics of life-defining DNA all get clear, comprehensive, and witty coverage. This book reveals the beauty and mystery that underlies everything in the universe.

Does this book claim to explain quantum physics without math? No. Math is too central to physics to be bypassed. But if you can do basic algebra, you can understand the equations in In Search of Schrödinger's Cat. Gribbin is the physics teacher everyone should have in high school or college: kind without being a pushover, knowledgeable without being condescending, and clearly expressive without being boring. Gribbin's book belongs on the shelf of every pre-calculus student. It also deserves a place in the library of everyone who was scared away from advanced physics prematurely.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:20 -0400)

An astrophysicist offers an introduction to the theoretical principles, practical applications, and far-reaching implications of quantum physics and quantum mechanics.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,299,040 books! | Top bar: Always visible