Death on Demand by Carolyn G. Hart

Death on Demand (1987)

by Carolyn G. Hart

This was a cute and quick read, I like mysteries, though I figured it out pretty early in the book and waited for Max and Annie to figure it out. ( )
  StarKnits | Feb 6, 2019 |
This first book in the series was basically, to me, an introduction to the characters, the island and the premise. I enjoyed the story, but would like to see more in the future books. I had heard a lot about how good this series was, so hope I am not disappointed in the next one. The nice thing about the book is the name dropping of great Mystery books and Authors that I will be able to investigate as well.

Annie has inherited her Uncle's Bookstore, Death on Demand. She has renovated it, started new promotions and is building on the Mystery appeal. The island is home to several Mystery Writers who get together at the store every Sunday night. At one of the meetings, one of them is murdered. Annie is suspected of the crime and the Police Chief also thinks she may have killed her uncle. Along comes an old boyfriend, Max, who wants to marry her. Together they solve the mystery and Max decides to stay on the island and open a detective agency. More to come in that relationship I am sure. ( )
  Carlathelibrarian | Feb 5, 2019 |
A little break from the intensity of [The Sea, the Sea] was needed, and I had picked up this recommendation, so I tried it. It's very light, somewhat unrealistic even for the genre, I think. An amateur detective makes all the wrong moves, accompanied b her rich lawyer non-boyfriend who has followed her to a tiny island community in the south.

When I went to catalog this, I found the original date was 1987, which makes perfect sense to me. It does feel a little dated. ( )
  ffortsa | May 31, 2018 |
A fantastic beginning to a delightful series. How can you not like a mystery set within a bookstore? The characters Annie and Max are wonderfully written, the mystery was well thought out and although there were no real big surprises within the book it kept you wanting to continue to read to see what Annie and Max would come across next. I definitely will read more in this series ( )
  ChristinaT. | Dec 3, 2016 |
Audio book performed by Kate Reading.

Annie Laurence inherited her uncle’s estate on Broward’s Rock Island, South Carolina, including the mystery bookshop Death on Demand. She’s made a success of it, partly because the quiet island is home to several successful authors, who regularly meet at her store on Sunday evenings for coffee and an informal presentation about writing mysteries. But tonight one of them – Elliot Morgan – is planning to reveal the other authors’ secrets, and Annie would just as soon not have a scene in the store. When the presentation is interrupted by a power failure she is momentarily relieved, only to find that while the lights were off Elliot was murdered. Before long she is the target of the police chief’s suspicions regarding not only Elliot’s murder, but her uncle’s untimely death, and the deaths of several other island residents. Her dear friend Max Darling lends a hand to help clear her name and find the true culprit.

This is a fun cozy made more enjoyable by the many references to mystery writers, books and famous literary sleuths (Mrs Pollifax, Hercule Poirot, etc). If the murderer is a tad too prolific (and successful at killing) in such a short time frame, well that can be forgiven. Hart keeps the plot moving and the interest level high. The romantic tension is mostly in the background but adds a nice touch of spice to the mix. Kate Reading does a fine job on the audio, with a good pace and enough changes in inflection to differentiate the characters.
  BookConcierge | Jan 13, 2016 |
To Kate Miciak, an imaginative, creative, exciting editor.
Alone, each item was insignificant.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 055326351X, Mass Market Paperback)

The prime suspect in the murder of author Elliot Morgan, Annie Laurance Darling, owner of the Death on Demand mystery bookstore, embarks on an investigation in an attempt to clear her name. Originally in paperback.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:44 -0400)

As Annie Laurance's Death On Demand bookstore on Broward's Rock Island, South Carolina, murder most foul suddenly isn't confined to the well stocked shelves. Author Elliot Morgan's abrupt demise during a weekly gathering of famous mystery writers called the Sunday Night Regulars is proof positive that a bloody sword is sometimes mightier than a brilliant pen.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,545,743 books! | Top bar: Always visible