Prey by Michael Crichton

Prey (original 2002; edition 2002)

by Michael Crichton

Member:Bermejo
Title:Prey
Authors:Michael Crichton
Info:Amazon Remainders Account (2002), Edition: 1st ed, Hardcover

Prey by Michael Crichton (2002)

English (105)  French (2)  Swedish (1)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  Danish (1)  German (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (113)
Easy casual read, very nice style; a good book. I am more than halfway through and I am more than excited to finish reading it. There is ample suspense, plenty of description. ( )
  b_henke | Apr 29, 2015 |
Jack's wife is about to make a major breakthrough in nanotechnology. For the first time ever, microscopic robots could be created and used for a variety of purposes, such as medical diagnosis and military surveillance. Jack should be happy for his wife, but she has been acting odd lately, and her excuses aren't adding up. When he visits the facility where the nanobots are being produced, he realizes things are much worse than he could ever imagine.

Michael Crichton has become kind of a niche author for me. I don't necessarily consider his books to be particularly fantastic, but there are certain times in my reading life where he fits in perfectly, and so I find myself coming back to his books repeatedly. He provides a nice blend of science and fast-paced thriller that I love to dip into time to time. Sure, I'm not usually a fan of thrillers and the science is usually sketchy at best, but when it comes to fluffy brain-candy, Crichton is the author for me.

Prey fit that category perfectly, once again. The computer programming aspects of book seemed like a bit of a stretch, and I didn't always buy how the nanobots behaved, the characters weren't particularly memorable (except Mae, perhaps), and the plot was more an exercise in excitement instead of intellect. You know what? I don't care. It was exactly what I was looking for and it provided exactly what I expected from it.

Also, of the 6 or 7 books I've read by the author, this is the first one that actually had an ending that didn't feel rushed and incomplete, so that was a nice change. ( )
  Ape | Apr 19, 2015 |
This is by far my least favorite Michael Chrichton book. I typically enjoy his cautionary views of pushing the limits of science, but this one just fell flat for me. ( )
  storeyonastory | Oct 12, 2014 |
good ( )
  jsopcich | May 19, 2014 |
This is a very fast paced book. The concepts of evolution, nanotecnology and AI are very well laid out and mixed with a good story and good writting. ( )
1 vote elviomedeiros | Mar 6, 2014 |
Prey is a thriller, well constructed and fun to read, like Michael Crichton's other books.

Prey finds him in familiar territory, cooking up devilish situations for mankind at the hands of scientists working without restraint and manipulated by big business for their own greedy ends.
added by stephmo | editThe Age, Jeff Glorfeld (Jan 12, 2003)

As a writer, Crichton has always been a businessman, but his novels are usually competent. This one is dull, dull, dull. Science fiction can work (Alien, Blade Runner), but only where the mix of science and fiction is right.

Crichton dresses up his stories in contemporary clothes, and the nature of the threat is as much a wardrobe decision as anything else. It is, in fact, the key decision, and his alighting on nanotechnology is inspired.
added by stephmo | editThe Guardian, Nicholas Lezard (Dec 14, 2002)

But ''Prey'' blazes enough trails that no one will mind that none of them are literary.

Is contained in

Contains

It's midnight now.

Deep in the Nevada desert, the Xymos Corporation has built a state-of-the-art fabrication plant, surrounded by miles and miles of nothing but cactus and coyotes. Eight people are trapped. A self-replicating swarm of predatory molecules is rapidly evolving outside the plant. Massed together, the molecules form an intelligent organism that is anything but benign. More powerful by the hour, it has targeted the eight scientists as prey. They must stop the swarm before it is too late…

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0061015725, Mass Market Paperback)

In Prey, bestselling author Michael Crichton introduces bad guys that are too small to be seen with the naked eye but no less deadly or intriguing than the runaway dinosaurs that made 1990's Jurassic Park such a blockbuster success.

High-tech whistle-blower Jack Forman used to specialize in programming computers to solve problems by mimicking the behavior of efficient wild animals--swarming bees or hunting hyena packs, for example. Now he's unemployed and is finally starting to enjoy his new role as stay-at-home dad. All would be domestic bliss if it were not for Jack's suspicions that his wife, who's been behaving strangely and working long hours at the top-secret research labs of Xymos Technology, is having an affair. When he's called in to help with her hush-hush project, it seems like the perfect opportunity to see what his wife's been doing, but Jack quickly finds there's a lot more going on in the lab than an illicit affair. Within hours of his arrival at the remote testing center, Jack discovers his wife's firm has created self-replicating nanotechnology--a literal swarm of microscopic machines. Originally meant to serve as a military eye in the sky, the swarm has now escaped into the environment and is seemingly intent on killing the scientists trapped in the facility. The reader realizes early, however, that Jack, his wife, and fellow scientists have more to fear from the hidden dangers within the lab than from the predators without.

The monsters may be smaller in this book, but Crichton's skill for suspense has grown, making Prey a scary read that's hard to set aside, though not without its minor flaws. The science in this novel requires more explanation than did the cloning of dinosaurs, leading to lengthy and sometimes dry academic lessons. And while the coincidence of Xymos's new technology running on the same program Jack created at his previous job keeps the plot moving, it may be more than some readers can swallow. But, thanks in part to a sobering foreword in which Crichton warns of the real dangers of technology that continues to evolve more quickly than common sense, Prey succeeds in gripping readers with a tense and frightening tale of scientific suspense. --Benjamin Reese

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:22:12 -0400)

In the Nevada desert, an experiment has gone horribly wrong. A cloud of nanoparticles-micro-robots-has escaped from the laboratory. This cloud is self-sustaining and self-reproducing. It is intelligent and learns from experience. For all practical purposes, it is alive. It has been programmed as a predator. It is evolving swiftly, becoming more deadly with each passing hour. Every attempt to destroy it has failed. And we are the prey.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,167,657 books! | Top bar: Always visible