The day of the jackal by Frederick Forsyth

The day of the jackal (original 1971; edition 1989)

by Frederick Forsyth

Member:clfisha
Title:The day of the jackal
Authors:Frederick Forsyth
Info:1989.
Rating:***1/2
Tags:crime, thriller, assassination, France, terrorism, Algiers, Charles de Gaulle, 1960s, 2012

The Day of the Jackal by Frederick Forsyth (1971)

English (48)  German (2)  Dutch (2)  Spanish (2)  Danish (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (56)
Genre-defining book with tight, suspenseful settings all the way to the climax. One of the best books I've read. ( )
  nvenkataraman1 | Aug 31, 2015 |
“It is cold at six-forty in the morning on a March day in Paris, and seems even colder when a man is about to be executed by firing squad.”

As no doubt pretty well everyone knows, the plot of this book centres around a fictional plot by a secretive French organization bitter at the withdrawal of French forces and the granting of independence to Algeria to hire a professional assassin to kill the French President Charles de Gaulle and the French authorities attempts to thwart him.

The book is split into four parts really. Firstly; the reasoning behind the commissioning of the assassin attempt. Secondly; the assassins preparations and planning. Thirdly; the French authorities trying to track down this mystery assassin and finally the climax in the fourth and final part.

The tail is told in the third person omniscient and at first can feel a little dry rather like a history lecture but Forsyth obviously did his research because the plot line is always believable. However, the action is unremitting getting ever tighter and tighter as it winds you in and wraps you up like a fly caught in a spider's web. Despite knowing that the plot fails ultimately, because we are told fairly early on that de Gaulle dies in his bed, you find yourself impressed by the assassin's ingenuity and steadfastness against increasingly unlikely odds and almost hoping that he will actually succeed. Whilst on the other hand you are wishing Lebel, the lead French investigator, every success in his own mission.

I was tempted to give this book full marks, I think rightly it is seen as a classic of the genre,I ultimately felt that it was just a little dry. The persona of the killer is ice cool and calculating but I would like to have a little more insight into his motivation. A excellent piece of escapism. ( )
  PilgrimJess | May 18, 2015 |
Yes, but Kindle. I'm fully intrigued, but the huge info dump at the beginning is annoying. Not lightly do I intend to read later.
  Xleptodactylous | Apr 7, 2015 |
So outstanding it established the standard in this genre. All subsequent works would be measured against it. ( )
  VGAHarris | Jan 19, 2015 |
Although better written than the other 'assassin' novels I have been reading, Forsyth's classic still dragged for me. Don't get me wrong, the structure, characterisation and factual detail of the story are deftly written, and I appreciate the way in which the narrative is divided between the Jackal and the French detective out to find and stop him, but I have come to the overall conclusion that this is just not my type of book. Far too masculine. The only woman who isn't a victim disappears when her cover is blown - what happened to Jacqueline? A good read, but not a keeper - might try the film for comparison. ( )
  AdonisGuilfoyle | Dec 23, 2014 |

Frederick Forsythprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hernández, RamónTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Niessen-Hossele, J.F.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Prebble, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tropea, MarcoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It is cold at 6:40 in the morning of a March day in Paris, and it seems even colder when a man is about to be executed by firing squad.
ISBN 0854565655 is the Reader's Digest condensed (abridged) version of the book.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553266306, Mass Market Paperback)

The Jackal. A tall, blond Englishman with  opaque, gray eyes. A killer at the top of his  profession. A man unknown to any secret service in the  world. An assassin with a contract to kill the  world's most heavily guarded man.

One  man with a rifle who can change the course of  history. One man whose mission is so secretive not  even his employers know his name. And as the  minutes count down to the final act of execution, it  seems that there is no power on earth that can stop  the Jackal.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:21 -0400)

A professional assassin is hired to kill De Gaulle. The plot is traced against a modern background of French politics as the killer evades his would be captor.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,090,550 books! | Top bar: Always visible