Nethergate by Norah Lofts

Nethergate (original 1973; edition 1973)

by Norah Lofts

Member:moonshineandrosefire
Title:Nethergate
Authors:Norah Lofts
Info:Doubleday (1973), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 278 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:historical fiction, 1970-1989, paperback swap, 96-100

Nethergate by Norah Lofts (1973)

To Isabella de Sevigny, an aristocratic refugee fleeing the French Reign of Terror, her cousin Rosaleen's magnificent English country estate promised sanctuary. But Nethergate soon became a prison to the high-spirited young woman. For its mistress, the cold-blooded and beautiful Lady Rosaleen, treated Isabella like a servant. When Isabella was seduced by Lady Rosaleen's son and discovered she was to have a child, Rosaleen devised a cunning and vicious plot to get rid of her. In her own way, and in her own time, Isabella eventually took her revenge.

I had actually read this book before many, many years ago - maybe about a decade ago. I had absolutely forgotten the plot of this book, even though I vaguely remembered reading it so long ago. So, it was, in a sense, it was like reading an entirely new book for me. This was perhaps not one of Norah Lofts best books in my opinion, but I still give Nethergate by Norah Lofts an A+! and found it to be very good! ( )
  moonshineandrosefire | Feb 21, 2013 |
Poor people don't set much store by birthdays and I never knew the day or the month when I was born.

To Isabella de Savigny, an aristocratic refugee from the French Reign of Terror, her cousin's magnificent English country estate promised sanctuary. But Nethergate becomes a prison to the high-spirited young woman. For its mistress, the cold-blooded and beautiful Lady Rosaleen, treats Isabella like a servant.
When Isabella is seduced by Rosaleen's son and discovers she is to have a child, Rosaleen devises a cunning and vicious plot to get rid of her.

In her own way, in her own time, Isabella takes her revenge.

Set against the background of revolutionary France and the brilliant society of Regency England.

Set around a country house in Suffolk during the turbulent years of the Napoleonic Wars, this is the story of a young refugee from Revolutionary France seduced and abandoned but redeemed by her daughter.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,696,217 books! | Top bar: Always visible