THE DOUBLE HELIX: A Personal Account of the…

THE DOUBLE HELIX: A Personal Account of the Discovery of the Structure of… (original 1968; edition 1969)

by James D. Watson (Author)

Member:JaeKamel
Title:THE DOUBLE HELIX: A Personal Account of the Discovery of the Structure of DNA
Authors:James D. Watson (Author)
Info:Mentor Books (1969), Edition: Mass Paperback Edition

The Double Helix: A Personal Account of the Discovery of the Structure of DNA by James D. Watson (1968)

I read this book in part because I remember my mother reading it in 1968 for her book club. I remember her trying to explain it's importance to me. It made a big impression. It is well written with real human interjections and humor. It is surprisingly understandable and remains an important scientific achievement during our time. ( )
  DonaldPowell | Feb 5, 2019 |
Dull, drab, un-interesting ! ( )
  artvandley | Sep 30, 2018 |
Excellent book. Reads like a novel. Highly recommended.
  nittnut | Aug 30, 2018 |
I read about a third of it. I found the story wandered and wasn't clear. His treatment of Rosalind Franklin sounded like something written in the 1950s. It was at that point that I decided the book wasn't really worth the effort I was putting in to sort through the verbiage for the story. In its favor, there were quite a few interesting photos and diagrams. ( )
  ajlewis2 | Feb 24, 2016 |
Ridiculously exciting. A peak into the life of Cambridge as it was. Inspiring! ( )
  jculkin | Feb 1, 2016 |

Hokkala, OttoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Judd, DorothyCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lakmaker, FiekeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Naomi Mitchison
Here I relate my version of how the structure of DNA was discovered.
Preface (by Gunther S. Stent) -- The fantastically rapid pace of scientific research in the past decades has had one important, as yet not fully appreciated, cultural by-product: there are now alive many scientists who can look back on their own early work, and that of their contemporaries, from a depth of historical perspective that for scientific disciplines flowering in earlier times had opened only after all the witnesses of the formative stages were long dead.
Preface to The Double Helix -- Here I relate my version of how the structure of DNA was discovered.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 074321630X, Paperback)

"Science seldom proceeds in the straightforward logical manner imagined by outsiders," writes James Watson in The Double Helix, his account of his codiscovery (along with Francis Crick) of the structure of DNA. Watson and Crick won Nobel Prizes for their work, and their names are memorized by biology students around the world. But as in all of history, the real story behind the deceptively simple outcome was messy, intense, and sometimes truly hilarious. To preserve the "real" story for the world, James Watson attempted to record his first impressions as soon after the events of 1951-1953 as possible, with all their unpleasant realities and "spirit of adventure" intact.

Watson holds nothing back when revealing the petty sniping and backbiting among his colleagues, while acknowledging that he himself was a willing participant in the melodrama. In particular, Watson reveals his mixed feelings about his famous colleague in discovery, Francis Crick, who many thought of as an arrogant man who talked too much, and whose brilliance was appreciated by few. This is the joy of The Double Helix--instead of a chronicle of stainless-steel heroes toiling away in their sparkling labs, Watson's chronicle gives readers an idea of what living science is like, warts and all. The Double Helix is a startling window into the scientific method, full of insight and wit, and packed with the kind of science anecdotes that are told and retold in the halls of universities and laboratories everywhere. It's the stuff of legends. --Therese Littleton

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:26 -0400)

By identifying the structure of DNA, Francis Crick and James Watson revolutionized biochemistry and won a Nobel Prize. All the time Watson was only twenty-four, a young zoologist hungry to make his mark. His uncompromisingly honest account of the heady days of their thrilling sprint against other world-class researchers to solve one of sciences' greatest unsolved mysteries gives a dazzlingly clear picture of a world of scientists with great gifts, very human ambitions, and bitter rivalries. With humility unspoiled by false modesty, Watson relates his and Crick's desperate efforts to beat Linus Pauling to the identification of the basic building block of life.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,557,619 books! | Top bar: Always visible