Gabriella's Song by Candace Fleming

Gabriella's Song

by Candace Fleming

Other authors: Giselle Potter (Illustrator)

72 (1) art (2) bakeries (1) bells (1) book reviews (1) bread (1) canal (2) canals (1) children (2) children's (3) children's literature (2) composers (2) culture (2) fiction (10) fish (1) Italy (14) JE (2) library (2) multicultural (4) music (20) picture book (17) preschool (1) singing (2) song (5) songs (2) storytime (1) travel (2) Venice (12) widow (2) yellow (1)

Maybe 2.5 stars. I have very mixed feelings about it. I do not understand, appreciate, or like that illustrative style. I see no grace or vibrancy in the art.

I liked the concept of the story, and I *think* I liked the style in which it was written - but I think I'd have to wait a week and have someone read it aloud to me so I can't see the pictures, to be sure. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
A young Venetian girl, keenly attuned to the sounds of daily life in her city - the crying of street vendors, the flap-flap of pigeon wings, the jing-aling-ling of lire, the ting-aling-ling of church bells - hums an impromptu tune at the baker's, and, going on her way, is unaware until much later that her song has gone out into the city, and has found its way to the ears of composer Giuseppe del Pietro. But when del Pietro puts on a concert to share his latest symphony, the citizens of Venice - and Gabriella in particular - hear something very familiar...

I enjoyed Gabriella's Song, appreciating the idea that sometimes music can be found in the everyday sounds around us, and that it can speak to different people in different ways. I also really liked the way that it highlights the connections between formal art music - what we often call "classical" music - and other modes of musical expression. (It may seem obvious to say that all music is interconnected, but I think that this is something people tend to forget, in their haste to categorize by genre). The ink and watercolor illustrations by Giselle Potter have a distinctively whimsical charm, well-suited to the story. All in all, a sweet little book - one of six chosen by the Picture-Book Club to which I belong, as part of our "music-themed" March reading program - that is well worth the young music-lover's time! ( )
1 vote AbigailAdams26 | Apr 23, 2013 |
When I first picked up Candace Fleming's Gabriella's Song from the library, I was not at all sure wether I would actually enjoy the book, as I did not find the cover image all that appealing (I liked the colours, but Gabriella's facial expression was not exactly to my liking). However, this is another truly wonderful picture book to share with children, especially children interested in music, and how music is created and/or perceived. The main point of Gabriella's Song (at least for me) is not only that music can be found anywhere and everywhere (the sounds of the city are music, just like human singing is music), but also that music is different for everyone, that it is and can be perceived and enjoyed in a multitude of different ways. Gabriella's song is perceived and remembered as happy and rollicking by the baker, while the widow perceives it as sad, as a longing for her youth, her happier days. Also important to realise is that music, even the music of the great composers, neither exists in a vacuum nor is it created in a vacuum, that it represents personal talent and ability, combined with the inspiration by and from the sounds, smells and sights around us. With that in mind, I really love the fact that the famous composer Giuseppe del Pietro publicly acknowledges the fact that his new symphony was, indeed, inspired by Gabriella's song, which was, in turn, inspired by the sounds, smells and sights of the city, by Venice itself.

I am still trying to figure out if the illustrations are really to my liking. The colour, texture, and the depiction of the sights (and sounds) of Venice are wonderful, expressive, descriptive, a real joy to visualise and behold. However, the human figures, while generally well-executed, at times have facial expressions that I find not entirely appealing; especially Gabriella's face seems a touch too "old" for a little girl. But all-in-all, I really enjoyed this little gem of a picture book and would not hesitate to highly recommend it to anyone seeking a lovely, poetic and musical story of how the sounds, the whole atmosphere of Venice (and by extension any city any locality) can and do inspire music. ( )
  gundulabaehre | Mar 31, 2013 |
The little girl Gabriella hummed a tune all the way home, stopping at the bakery first. The tune was passed to many people in the town and it triggered different emotions for each of them. Love, sadness,happiness.The symphony director played it as well and thanked the little girl who inspired him. ( )
  sbiro | Nov 20, 2011 |
This book takes place in Venice, Italy, and the reader is able to get a sense of the culture there- transportation, foods, language, and music. Gabriella hums a tune she created. People pick up on this tune a start to hum it as well. Gabriella's tune spread throughout the town, and a composer uses it for inspiration turing it into a song and playing it at his concert. ( )
  ebruno | Jun 24, 2011 |

Candace Flemingprimary authorall editionscalculated
Potter, GiselleIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

In the streets and canals of Venice, Gabriella can hear nothing but sweet music. The drying laundry goes slap-slap, the church bells go ting-aling-ling, and the lire go jing-aling-ling. Soon, Gabriella is humming her way through town -- and everyone hears her song! Some find it sad, others smile when they hear it -- but none can forget the beautiful melody. Before long, a certain struggling composer is inspired by Gabriella's song -- and a beautiful symphony is born.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:18 -0400)

A young girl finds music all around her as she walks about the city of Venice, Italy, and she shares her song with everyone she meets.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,390,126 books! | Top bar: Always visible