The Hungriest Boy in the World by Lensey…

The Hungriest Boy in the World

by Lensey Namioka

233459,532 (3)None

The Hungriest Boy in the World is about a boy who swallows a "hunger monster" and can not stop eating everything. The monster is always hungry and the boy eats tons of food and even things that aren't food. Eventually, his family has to tie the boy down and trick the monster into leaving the boys stomach. That part of the book is a little strange and not the most kid-friendly but it goes along with the plot. It was an interesting book and unlike any other I've seen. I would definitely recommend it. ( )
  AnnaMoody | Nov 19, 2012 |
This book is about a Japanese boy that loved to put things in his mouth. He accidentally ingests a "huger monster" that make him eat anything and everything, including things that are inedible. His parents take him to the doctor, the religious temple, and then a medium. They finally realize that the "hunger monster" was inside of him. They come up with a scheme to trick the "hunger monster" out of the boy, and the "hunger monster" was left to roam free searching for his next victim. ( )
  HopeMiller123 | Feb 27, 2012 |
Summary:
Jiro, a Japanese boy lives with his family in a fishing village near the Inland Sea. Jiro has a bad habit of putting everything in his mouth, whether it was seaweed, a seashell, or even a pebble, everything went in his mouth. One day Jiro stuck a purple blob in his mouth and before he knew it, he had swallowed the Hunger Monster. From that day on, Jiro could not eat enough food to satisfy the Hunger Monster. Finally, after swallowing everything imaginable including family fish nets, his quilt, and food galore, Jiro and his family get rid of the Hunger Monster by tricking it into leaving his body and going into a puppet.

Personal Response:
I thought this was a good book, but it wasn't my favorite. I think it's a cute book to talk to your students about their habits.

Classroom Extension Ideas:
1. I would have my students draw a picture of what they think the Hunger Monster looks like.
2. I may also have my students bring a recipe to class of their favorite meal. We will draw pictures of the meals and turn the recipe's into "The Hunger Monster's Cook Book" to give to the "moms" for Mother's Day.
  TaylorLanman | Mar 20, 2011 |

After swallowing the Hunger Monster, Jiro begins eating everything in sight, until his family finds a way to lure the monster out of Jiro's stomach.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:27 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,355,959 books! | Top bar: Always visible