True Blue

by Deborah Ellis

The darker side of a friendship is portrayed by Jess, a 17 year old who struggles to find the moral courage to remain loyal to her best friend who has been accused of murdering an eight year old girl at summer camp. The town becomes a media circus and the pressures become too great for Jess to cope.

English (5)  Italian (2)  All languages (7)
I usually enjoy Ellis' books but this one didn't do it for me. I found Jess an irritating narrator and also a coward. In my opinion she was the polar opposite of what a true friend should be. She didn't have the courage and speak the truth and refused to show loyalty to her best friend. Carey, on the other hand, was a sweetie, but I found the plot slow and monotonous. ( )
  HeatherLINC | Jan 23, 2016 |
A suspenseful, realistic, and compelling story exploring courage and loyalty. ( )
  Sullywriter | Apr 3, 2013 |
There is nothing I love more than a character with strength and courage, so I found it hard to love this one. Jess is certainly not a role model for teens, but I guess this book teaches from another's mistakes. Still I so wanted Jess to be a true friend to Casey that I was left feeling disappointed. At the same time I was glad that Jess didn't become a last minute and undeserving hero. Maybe this is one I need to ponder and discuss to appreciate. ( )
  ydenomy | Jul 11, 2012 |
An absolutely chilling story about a teenager who betrays a friend wrongly accused of murder. So great is narrator Jessica's desire to be accepted by the popular crowd that she fails to speak up in defense of her friend and in fact makes statements which support her academically gifted but eccentric friend Casey's "guilt" in the murder of a young child at a summer camp where both girls were counselors. This is a brilliant, compelling, and extremely dark novel about the human shadow. Ellis exposes part of the human psyche many of us would prefer not to look at or admit to. Ellis's revelation of the true murderer very close to the end of the book was a little too pat, hence my less than perfect score; however, the somewhat open-ended conclusion is otherwise in keeping with the overall tenor of the book. This is an uncomfortably well-told narrative. While not graphic or sensational in any way, the subject matter may make some readers uncomfortable, and the book is probably best read by teens 13 and up. ( )
  fountainoverflows | Oct 12, 2011 |
This is a big departure from most of Ellis' previous work in that it isn't based on historical events nor does it seem like much advance research would be necessary to write it. True Blue is about two girls who are best friends; Casey, who has a scientific obsession with anything having to do with insects, and Jessica, the narrator. When the story begins, Casey is being arrested for the murder of Stephanie, one of the little girls who was a camper at Twin Willows, the camp where the two girls were summer counsellors together. What follows is Jess's reaction to events leading up to the court date, and then the court date itself told through flashbacks to the summer, and letters from Casey in prison. There was something quite unsettling about Jess as the narrator, and I liked that, as a reader, you are kept wondering about what really happened to Stephanie, until almost the very end of the story. ( )
1 vote JRlibrary | Oct 9, 2011 |

Deborah Ellisprimary authorall editionscalculated
Pace, MaraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
A coloro che hanno il coraggio di essere amici.
Benvenuti a Casa Blatta.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,761,942 books! | Top bar: Always visible