The Twins by Tessa de Loo

The Twins

by Tessa de Loo

919279,547 (3.76)28

Dutch (14)  English (11)  Swedish (1)  Spanish (1)  All (27)
Not a bad book at all but far too long. Gave up half way through. ( )
  Carolinejyoung | Aug 6, 2016 |
I enjoyed this book very much. It was very interesting reading about the different lifestyles of two twin sisters during WWII who were separated at age six. They went to live with relatives - one sister in Germany and the other sister in Holland. I found this book to be a gripping emotional read and I would recommend it for those who are interested in historical fiction. ( )
  EadieB | Jan 19, 2016 |
Wow, what a book! This story got me hooked from the first page. At first it was one story, but very soon it became two, shedding light on both sides of the warriors in WWII.
One sister of the twins stays in Germany, the other half is brought to The Netherlands and raised there.

What I liked so much, is that life of the ordinary German / the ordinary Dutchman is narrated, giving the reader the opportunity to compare, learn and at times even almost feel those times.

The only thing that kept me from giving this book the highest score, is that the voices (Anna, Lotte and the narrator) are not alsways very clear, which made the book confusing to me from time to time. ( )
  BoekenTrol71 | Oct 24, 2015 |
A rather clumsy translation that drags at the beginning, but an interesting method of showing the point of views of two German sisters separated when young: one to remain in Catholic Germany and the other taken to Holland before WWII. The Dutch twin falls in love with a Jewish musician; the German twin marries a soldier. Lotte, the Dutch twin, cannot understand how the Germans could have fallen for Hitler or followed his evil orders. Anna tries to explain, if not rationalize, their actions. They meet long after the war, in neutral territory in Belgium by chance when they go to Spa for treatments for their arthritis. ( )
  kr04bps | Feb 5, 2014 |
This book just did not speak to me. I felt it explained too much. ( )
  wester | Feb 5, 2012 |
Der Welt ist weit, die Welt ist schön,
wer weiss ob wir uns wiedersehen.
The world is wide, the world is beautiful,
who knows if we shall see each other again.
For my mother and Maria Hesse
'Goodness me, what is this, a morgue?'

Twin sisters in prewar Germany are separated when their parents die. They meet by chance 70 years later.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,075,289 books! | Top bar: Always visible