Campaign Promises by Laurel Osterkamp

Campaign Promises (edition 2011)

by Laurel Osterkamp

Member:JerseyGirlBookReview
Title:Campaign Promises
Authors:Laurel Osterkamp
Info:PMI Books (2011), Kindle Edition, 85 pages
Collections:Read, Your library

Campaign Promises by Laurel Osterkamp

I love this book! First and foremost, its a novella so it such an easy and simple read. Second, for a chic-lit story it was not very chic-y! I love Lucy and how she is strongly portrayed in this story. She's not easy (actually she is! haha) and does not run around chasing boys. I hate how some chic-lit stories focuses on damsels in distress and Lucy is not one of those. She's an independent woman. I was actually surprised who she ended up with! I'll recommend this to everybody! ( )
  krizia_lazaro | Jan 19, 2015 |
Campaign Promises is a clever novella that provides the reader with a twenty year snapshot into the life of Lucy Jones, spanning from her senior year in high school in 1988 to her twenty year high school reunion in 2008. Told in the first person narrative, Lucy shares the evolvement and growth of her views on life, love and politics over the twenty years. The novella contains five snippets that marks Lucy's progression into adulthood every four years which coincides with a political election. Lucy is a liberal thinker, who draws a philosophical political connection with a life lesson in each snippet. Filled with idealism, realism and humor, the snippets into Lucy's life and the political landscape between 1988-2008, the author weaves a story about a girl who is trying to find her way and makes the right choices in her private and public life.

As a person who graduated from college with a BA Degree in Political Science, I loved this little novella. Author Laurel Osterkamp provides the reader with an entertaining story that mixes a girl's coming of age with five trips down the political and societal memory lane between the years of 1988-2008. While the story revolves around Lucy and her two relationships with brothers Jack and Monty Brinker, it is so much more than the typical boy-girl romance story. Over the years, the reader can see the evolved connection between the political commentary and Lucy's life situation and her level of growth and maturity at each time period.

In an essence, this novella captures Lucy's life and defines it within the significant political moments of a
twenty year time period. The novella is filled with snarky and humorous political and pop-culture references that kept me snickering and smiling while I took a nostalgic walk down memory lane.

Campaign Promises whets the reader's appetite with its five fast-paced vignettes, and is a perfect companion piece and lead into the novel, November Promise.

Disclaimer: I purchased a copy of this book and will provide an honest review to accompany my participation in the companion novel, November Surprise virtual book tour event hosted by Chick Lit Plus Blog Tours.

http://jerseygirlbookreviews.blogspot.com/2012/11/campaign-promises-november-sur... ( )
  JerseyGirlBookReview | Nov 7, 2012 |
Too Short. I've now read several of Laurel Osterkamp's stories and all of them have been good and this one is just as readable. Witty, fast paced and well worth a look. A wonderful way to spend an hour or so in the sun. ( )
  Scoshie | Sep 12, 2012 |
Laurel Ostercamp's Campaign Promises is a quick and entertaining read. In my opinion it would probably appeal above all to persons who are interested in politics and the politicians due to the secondary focus on the political life, while its primary focus is on Lucy and some selected events in her life. I truly enjoyed this novella and would recommed it without a doubt. ( )
  QueenOfEschnapur | Jul 6, 2012 |
Absolutely perfect. Great pacing, i was never bored or overpowered by details and events flowed smoothly. Genius involvement of politics... not too much but enough to make a point. Brilliantly dynamic characters... Lucy was realistic and yet idealistic and drew my sympathy as well. The plot was exactly right and thoroughly enjoyable. Best short story of this genre that I have ever read. Two thumbs up and five stars for Laurel Osterkamp. ( )
  Gwnfkt12 | Jan 9, 2012 |

Laurel Osterkamp is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,523,278 books! | Top bar: Always visible