Brandwashed: Tricks Companies Use to…

by Martin Lindstrom

Member:Gittel
Title:Brandwashed: Tricks Companies Use to Manipulate Our Minds and Persuade Us to Buy
Authors:Martin Lindstrom
Info:Crown Business (2011), Hardcover, 304 pages

Brandwashed: Tricks Companies Use to Manipulate Our Minds and Persuade Us to Buy by Martin Lindstrom

Recently added byagering, private library, SPals, GDQ, LeadPsyche, IanScott, UBN_SW, pa5t0rd, Thom.Wilson

Lindstrom, a marketer with decades of experience at shaping the images of McDonald's, Microsoft and even an unnamed royal family (but you can guess who), explains how retailers get you to buy and how brands get you to buy their products. It even more invasive than you'd think. Lindstrom details the use of fear, peer pressure and nostalgia to sell things like iTunes downloads and soda, how the success of expensive fruits like acai and goji have been a result of marketing over science, how some grocery stores have your shopping cart wired to tell them everything you choose and how long you spend shopping, and that digital coupons and loyalty cards are sending your personal info to the stores permanent data banks.
This was published in 2011, so I don't know if all the procedures are still being used, but I would guess that the majority are. It's a very interesting subject and Lindstrom explains the marketing tactics very well. ( )
  mstrust | Mar 1, 2014 |
Thoroughly enlightening and horrifying! This book had a ton of information about how companies are vying for our patronage. ( )
  LaPhenix | Dec 12, 2013 |
Nothing too new or surprising here. Lindstrom is a little too fond of the expression "more than you can imagine." I can imagine plenty, when it comes to marketing, and my deeply cynical imaginings are rarely wrong. So, yeah- you are being marketed to every second of your life, unless you live in a cabin in the unspoiled woods. Speaking of the unspoiled woods, I thought a lot about Ma Ingalls while I was reading this- I wonder who marketed what to the pioneers, and what brands were popular, and why. I know there are brand names scattered through some of the other period fiction I've read, but offhand, I don't remember any from the Little House series.

The writing here is pedestrian and the concepts interesting but familiar. ( )
  satyridae | Apr 5, 2013 |
A real eye opener to the way Marketeers-online, and off use neuroscience to target behavioural advertising at us to make us buy. ( )
  wonderperson | Mar 31, 2013 |
I have a lot of criticisms of this, but I'll stick with my gravest. First, the way Lindstrom interprets psychological and other research doesn't always match how I'd interpret it. For example, if you were to hook me up to a plethysmograph (you can't, but that's not the point), you might find that I was physiologically aroused by a stimulus. That's a far different phenomenon than my acting on that arousal. Lindstrom consistently conflates the two. Second, his idea of consumers as essentially mindless bumpkins who are easily suckered and misled doesn't inspire my trust his motives. Third, based on this world view, Lindstrom assigns warrantless motivations to consumers. For example, he asserts that we don't choose the first item from a shelf but reach behind it for the second because we think it's cleaner. To test this hypothesis, I surveyed random family members and friends in situ at the grocery. I didn't interview those who took the first item. They are evidently outliers, even though it was true of most of them. I asked those who reached behind for the second item why they were doing so. Nobody said it was because it was cleaner. For perishables, they said it was because items with a longer time to pull date were further back. For shelved items, they said it was because the ones in the front were dented or dinged (which they were). The only person to cite cleanliness pointed out the filthy children being allowed to paw at the lower cans and boxes. I'd like a million dollars for my fab-o study, please.

There's not a lot here that's not obvious or that you didn't read in an expose 40 years ago. Producers want to sell things. Advertisers misrepresent their products. I'm as easy to influence as anybody, but my behaviors aren't those of Lindstrom's herds of moo-cow consumers who don't seem to read the labels or Consumer Reports, or consider whether products actually work. ( )
  OshoOsho | Mar 30, 2013 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0385531737, Hardcover)

Foreword by Morgan Spurlock

From the bestselling author of Buyology comes a shocking insider’s look at how today’s global giants conspire to obscure the truth and manipulate our minds, all in service of  persuading us to buy.

Marketing visionary Martin Lindstrom has been on the front lines of the branding wars for over twenty years.  Here, he turns the spotlight on his own industry, drawing on all he has witnessed behind closed doors, exposing for the first time the full extent of the psychological tricks and traps that companies devise to win our hard-earned dollars.

Picking up from where Vance Packard's bestselling classic, The Hidden Persuaders, left off more than half-a-century ago, Lindstrom reveals:

• New findings that reveal how advertisers and marketers intentionally target children at an alarmingly young age – starting when they are still in the womb!
   • Shocking results of an fMRI study which uncovered what heterosexual men really think about when they see sexually provocative advertising (hint: it isn’t their girlfriends).
   • How marketers and retailers stoke the flames of public panic and capitalize on paranoia over global contagions, extreme weather events, and food contamination scares.
   • The first ever neuroscientific evidence proving how addicted we all are to our iPhones and our Blackberry’s (and the shocking reality of cell phone addiction - it can be harder to shake than addictions to drugs and alcohol).
   • How companies of all stripes are secretly mining our digital footprints to uncover some of the most intimate details of our private lives, then using that information to target us with ads and offers ‘perfectly tailored’ to our psychological profiles.
   • How certain companies, like the maker of one popular lip balm, purposely adjust their formulas in order to make their products chemically addictive.
   • What a 3-month long guerilla marketing experiment, conducted specifically for this book, tells us about the most powerful hidden persuader of them all.
   • And much, much more.
 This searing expose introduces a new class of tricks, techniques, and seductions – the Hidden Persuaders of the 21st century- and shows why they are more insidious and pervasive than ever.

Amazon Exclusive: Steven D. Levitt Reviews BrandWashed

Steven D. Levitt is the best-selling author of Freakonomics and SuperFreakonomics and a professor of economics at the University of Chicago. He is a recipient of the John Bates Clark Medal, awarded to the most influential economist under the age of forty.

Why do we always grab for the-second-newspaper-from-the-top of a stack of newspapers? When we talk on our cell phones why do most of us walk in a slowly decreasing circle? Do you know that "Competitive Altruism"--e.g. keeping up with that neighbor of ours who also owns a spiffy Prius--usually lies behind our decision to buy a bagful of organic apples and shut off the sprinkler?

The strange ways in which we consumers walk, talk, and whip out our wallets underscore BrandWashed, Martin Lindstrom's fascinating, entertaining, occasionally shocking expose of the drivers advertisers and marketers use to make us buy. I consider Martin a kindred spirit. He enjoys nothing more than uncovering the hidden incentives behind all kinds of human behavior and social phenomena, and the differences between how we say we act versus how we actually act (in econo-speak, we call this declared preferences versus revealed preferences).

Marketing and advertising are smarty-pants industries. They know a whole lot about us. A global marketing guru for such companies as Pepsico, Disney, McDonald's, and Microsoft, Martin takes us backstage to expose the ruses and tricks companies and marketers use to get us to spend mad money. Such as nostalgia, fear, peer pressure, celebrity, and the inclusion of magical ingredients and elixirs that promise to banish all human worry and make you look sixteen forever--well, at least until you die. Last but never least, there's sex. I promise you'll get a kick out of reading who the real audience for pretty-boy teen singers is, how men really respond to male-underwear ads, and the drunken research Unilever commissioned before the company rolled out its randy TV ads for Axe deodorant and body spray.

I've read the first chapter of dozens of business books over the last five years; rarely do I make it any further. Indeed, I've only read two business books from cover to cover in that time period: Buyology and BrandWashed. It is no coincidence that Martin Lindstrom is the author of both of those books. Simply put, Martin Lindstrom is the most innovative and creative marketer on the planet. BrandWashed is smart, thought-provoking, and laugh out loud funny. It's even better than Buyology, if that is possible. --Steven D. Levitt

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:32:47 -0400)

In this shocking, no-holds-barred expos, Lindstrom draws on more than 20 years spent in the back rooms and board rooms to reveal all the manipulative ways marketers and advertisers tap into our most deeply seated fears, vulnerabilities, impulses, dreams, and desires--all in the service of taking our dollars.… (more)

166 wanted3 pay2 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,468,646 books! | Top bar: Always visible