Brandwashed: Tricks Companies Use to…

by Martin Lindstrom (Author)

2011258,418 (3.68)5
Member:wyvernfriend
Title:Brandwashed: Tricks Companies Use to Manipulate Our Minds and Persuade Us to Buy
Authors:Martin Lindstrom (Author)
Info:Kogan Page (2012), Paperback, 288 pages
Collections:Library Loans, Read but unowned, Read
Tags:non-fiction, read, 2013, january, da, brands, shopping, habits, manipulation

Brandwashed: Tricks Companies Use to Manipulate Our Minds and Persuade Us to Buy by Martin Lindstrom

I really enjoyed this, and recommend it to anyone who is interested in marketing strategies. If nothing else, read chapter 9 on data mining. It's fascinating and very disturbing. ( )
  Gingermama | Jan 24, 2016 |

In my opinion this book is about 80% "bull-hooey" and the rest is sort of interesting. I do believe that many companies have their devious ways to sucker the consumer into buying their products and a lot of the time they are very successful. It is a fact that these same companies do an unbelievable amount of data-mining (scary stuff) and know way too much about us, our families and our purchases. All of that is covered in this book and it makes for some interesting reading. However ----- some of the points Lindstrom tries to make are just mind-bogglingly outlandish. He states that most people who choose to own a Toyota Prius do so as a status symbol, not because they want to help the environment. Apparently everyone will look at a Prius owner and be full of admiration and good will even though said owner only wants the recognition. Lindstrom also says that most people only buy "green" when other people are looking; otherwise they will buy the cheap light bulbs, etc. Celebrity endorsements make people think they can be just like the celebrity if they buy that particular brand. Really? I will be gorgeous like Jennifer Lopez if I wear her perfume? I am not a 12 year old who needs a celebrity to tell me what I want. Just because Oprah recommends a book does not mean I will read it. I don't need a coach purse to carry my stuff and I don't care that people know I bought my purse at Kohl's. Yes, there certainly are people in this world who are enamored of anything with an exclusive brand name, but I don't think the majority of humanity is a herd of lemmings no matter what Lindstrom writes.
  Ellen_R | Jan 15, 2016 |
If you buy things, read this book. ( )
  liso | Sep 18, 2015 |
I did not like this book. Poorly written & full of "Can you believe they're doing this?!" kind of accusations and reeks of a guilty conscious. ( )
  LJMax | Aug 21, 2015 |
ESPANTOSAS INVESTIGAÇÕES SOBRE O QUE OS MARKETEERS FAZEM PARA CONSEGUIREM QUE AS PESSOAS COMPREM E FALEM BEM DOS SEUS PRODUTOS. MEDOS, INSEGURANÇAS, INVEJA, TUDO O QUE NOS FAZ HUMANOS E NOS TORNA MAIS FRÁGEIS É MATÉRIA PARA SERMOS CONSUMISTAS NESTA SOCIEDADE QUE NOS DEVORA DIARIAMENTE. FASCINANTE E INDISPENSÁVEL LEITURA ( )
  bruc79 | Jul 31, 2015 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0385531737, Hardcover)

Foreword by Morgan Spurlock

From the bestselling author of Buyology comes a shocking insider’s look at how today’s global giants conspire to obscure the truth and manipulate our minds, all in service of  persuading us to buy.

Marketing visionary Martin Lindstrom has been on the front lines of the branding wars for over twenty years.  Here, he turns the spotlight on his own industry, drawing on all he has witnessed behind closed doors, exposing for the first time the full extent of the psychological tricks and traps that companies devise to win our hard-earned dollars.

Picking up from where Vance Packard's bestselling classic, The Hidden Persuaders, left off more than half-a-century ago, Lindstrom reveals:

• New findings that reveal how advertisers and marketers intentionally target children at an alarmingly young age – starting when they are still in the womb!
   • Shocking results of an fMRI study which uncovered what heterosexual men really think about when they see sexually provocative advertising (hint: it isn’t their girlfriends).
   • How marketers and retailers stoke the flames of public panic and capitalize on paranoia over global contagions, extreme weather events, and food contamination scares.
   • The first ever neuroscientific evidence proving how addicted we all are to our iPhones and our Blackberry’s (and the shocking reality of cell phone addiction - it can be harder to shake than addictions to drugs and alcohol).
   • How companies of all stripes are secretly mining our digital footprints to uncover some of the most intimate details of our private lives, then using that information to target us with ads and offers ‘perfectly tailored’ to our psychological profiles.
   • How certain companies, like the maker of one popular lip balm, purposely adjust their formulas in order to make their products chemically addictive.
   • What a 3-month long guerilla marketing experiment, conducted specifically for this book, tells us about the most powerful hidden persuader of them all.
   • And much, much more.
 This searing expose introduces a new class of tricks, techniques, and seductions – the Hidden Persuaders of the 21st century- and shows why they are more insidious and pervasive than ever.

Amazon Exclusive: Steven D. Levitt Reviews BrandWashed

Steven D. Levitt is the best-selling author of Freakonomics and SuperFreakonomics and a professor of economics at the University of Chicago. He is a recipient of the John Bates Clark Medal, awarded to the most influential economist under the age of forty.

Why do we always grab for the-second-newspaper-from-the-top of a stack of newspapers? When we talk on our cell phones why do most of us walk in a slowly decreasing circle? Do you know that "Competitive Altruism"--e.g. keeping up with that neighbor of ours who also owns a spiffy Prius--usually lies behind our decision to buy a bagful of organic apples and shut off the sprinkler?

The strange ways in which we consumers walk, talk, and whip out our wallets underscore BrandWashed, Martin Lindstrom's fascinating, entertaining, occasionally shocking expose of the drivers advertisers and marketers use to make us buy. I consider Martin a kindred spirit. He enjoys nothing more than uncovering the hidden incentives behind all kinds of human behavior and social phenomena, and the differences between how we say we act versus how we actually act (in econo-speak, we call this declared preferences versus revealed preferences).

Marketing and advertising are smarty-pants industries. They know a whole lot about us. A global marketing guru for such companies as Pepsico, Disney, McDonald's, and Microsoft, Martin takes us backstage to expose the ruses and tricks companies and marketers use to get us to spend mad money. Such as nostalgia, fear, peer pressure, celebrity, and the inclusion of magical ingredients and elixirs that promise to banish all human worry and make you look sixteen forever--well, at least until you die. Last but never least, there's sex. I promise you'll get a kick out of reading who the real audience for pretty-boy teen singers is, how men really respond to male-underwear ads, and the drunken research Unilever commissioned before the company rolled out its randy TV ads for Axe deodorant and body spray.

I've read the first chapter of dozens of business books over the last five years; rarely do I make it any further. Indeed, I've only read two business books from cover to cover in that time period: Buyology and BrandWashed. It is no coincidence that Martin Lindstrom is the author of both of those books. Simply put, Martin Lindstrom is the most innovative and creative marketer on the planet. BrandWashed is smart, thought-provoking, and laugh out loud funny. It's even better than Buyology, if that is possible. --Steven D. Levitt

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:22 -0400)

In this shocking, no-holds-barred expos, Lindstrom draws on more than 20 years spent in the back rooms and board rooms to reveal all the manipulative ways marketers and advertisers tap into our most deeply seated fears, vulnerabilities, impulses, dreams, and desires--all in the service of taking our dollars.… (more)

160 wanted3 pay2 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,725,376 books! | Top bar: Always visible