Just One Look by Harlan Coben

Just One Look (original 2004; edition 2005)

by Harlan Coben

Member:bedda
Title:Just One Look
Authors:Harlan Coben
Info:Signet (2005), Mass Market Paperback, 528 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:thriller/suspense

Just One Look by Harlan Coben (2004)

Touch & Go by Lisa Gardner (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Despite their differences, these dramatic suspense stories offer menacing situations, beleaguered protagonists, realistic and intriguing characters, and fast-paced plots. Secrets abound in families that may not be as happy as the outside world believes.… (more)
    Promise Me by Harlan Coben (cometahalley)
    The Black Ice by Michael Connelly (cometahalley)

English (46)  Dutch (2)  Spanish (2)  All languages (50)
Grace Lawson's world was shaken once before, when she woke up from a coma after being in a stampede at rock concert. Upon waking up she not only didn't have any memory of the last two weeks but also a limp. However, when her world is rocked again she finds out that her life isn't what she thought for the last decade.

This was my first book by Coben and I have to say that it has actually made me want to read more by him. I thought the book was a little unpredictable in some places but in others you saw what was coming. I think that a little predictability can be expected in suspense novels.

I would overall recommend this book for anyone that likes the genre, however I feel like topics like this are common in this genre as well. ( )
  alwelker | Jan 25, 2016 |

alwelker | Jan 25, 2016 |
One minute Grace Lawson is a wife and mother and then her world begins to unravel. She finds a odd snapshot among the pictures that she has taken, and when her husband Jack sees the picture he gets a strange look on his face makes a telephone call and then leaves the house. He doesn't come home. Grace tries to shield her children from their fathers absence. This is a complex story of lies, betrayals, torture, and murder. A good read!! ( )
  love2cook | Jan 12, 2016 |
A highly readable, if perhaps second-rate thriller. Functional characters and solid prose with only a couple of clunky bits. I liked the false leads and twists. The final one is particularly good and saves what I had been tricked into thinking was a rather mundane explanation after 300-odd pages. Nicely pulled off.

The novel deals with themes of identity and one's past, and one's memory of it. Well handled, I think. The themes are integral to the plot which is no mean feat but also appear in incidental happenings. At the beginning Grace (artist and mosh-pit rocker) bemoans her descent into soccer-mom conformity, yet has nothing but contempt for the non-conformist Fuzz-Pellet. Just who does she think she is?

This would have got 3 stars but loses one for the Disney World product placement. ( )
  Lukerik | Oct 20, 2015 |
This was my first Harlan Coben book- found it at a flea market and thought I'd give it a try. He's got some occasional interesting incites into characters and their lives, but the strong point is the plot. The plot deepens and is revealed a bit at a time, until we are treated to a delicious end- not a surprise so much as a another level. The characters are really little more than caricatures, vehicles for the plot. The writing is basic 8th grade level, so no joy there. Makes for a nice quick summer read if you are not looking for anything substantial. ( )
  keithostertag | Sep 13, 2014 |

Harlan Cobenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ferrer, IsabelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Milla, CarlosTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Babe, give me your best memory,
But it don't equal pale ink."
-- Chinese proverb adapted for lyrics in song
"Pale Ink" by the Jimmy X Band
(written by James Xavier Farmington, All rights reserved)
This book is for Jack Armstrong,
because he's one of the good guys
Scott Duncan sat across from the killer.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451213203, Mass Market Paperback)

An ordinary snapshot causes a mother’s world to unravel in an instant. After picking up her two young children from school, Grace Lawson looks through a newly developed set of photographs. She finds an odd one in the pack: a mysterious picture from perhaps twenty years ago, showing four strangers she can’t identify. But there is one face she recognizes—that of her husband, from before she knew him.

When her husband sees the photo that night, he leaves their home and drives off without explanation. She doesn’t know where he’s going, or why he’s leaving. Or if he’s ever coming back. Nor does she realize how dangerous the search for him will be. Because there are others interested in both her husband’s past and that photo, including Eric Wu: a fierce, silent killer who will not be stopped from finding his quarry, no matter who or what stands in his way.

Her world turned upside down, filled with doubts about her herself and marriage, Grace must confront the dark corners of her own tragic past she struggles to learn the truth, find her husband, and save her family.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:00:50 -0400)

A seemingly innocuous twenty-year-old photograph turns Grace Lawson's peaceful life upside down when her husband, Jack, mysteriously vanishes with the photograph and unanswered questions threaten her marriage and everything she knows.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,204,998 books! | Top bar: Always visible