Hope: A Tragedy: A Novel by Shalom Auslander

Hope: A Tragedy: A Novel (edition 2012)

by Shalom Auslander

Member:PghDragonMan
Title:Hope: A Tragedy: A Novel
Authors:Shalom Auslander
Info:Riverhead Hardcover (2012), Hardcover, 304 pages
Collections:Your library, Early Review Copy
Tags:fiction, new york state, holocaust, family interaction, anne frank

Hope : A Tragedy by Shalom Auslander

Recently added byMaureenCean, private library, pammosk, Stahl-Ricco, Connie-D, alo1224, wenfb, andrejecka, watson11, gliese

The book follows Solomon Kugel, a neurotic Jewish man who has moved to the country with his wife and child, with his crazy mother in tow. One night after he moves in he discovers a hideous old lady in the loft - who claims to be Anne Frank.

The book continues with Kugel's growing neurosis, paranoia and rants.

I enjoyed this book for the most part, but by the end I have to admit I had lost interest. There was no real plot to speak of, and Kugel's ramblings got really tedious towards the end. I found this all a bit self-indulgent. When Kugel dies in a house fire at the end of the story, I found I didn't really care as I had no connection or empathy with his at all.

What I did find interesting was that I did 'believe' that it was Anne Frank in Kugel's attic despite finding this totally implausible to begin with. I also found the idea of the past and memories dictating the way you act today to be interesting also.

2.5 stars. ( )
  AHouseOfBooks | Jan 27, 2016 |
This book has the absolute craziest premise - Anne Frank is alive and well and living in the attic of a man's house in Stockton, New York! And she is foul mouthed to boot! Of course he can't kick her out, because he is Jewish, and if she is in fact Anne Frank, he doesn't want to be known as the Jew who betrayed her after she escaped the Nazis! Anne is working on a new book (after all, her first one was such an international success!) , and she enlists the poor guy into being her connection to the outside world, buying her supplies and such. And he is not at all happy about it, saying irreverently, "Fucking Anne Frank, man." Just crazy! He also spends a great deal of time thinking about what to say for his "last words" when he dies and treats us to many of the famous, and not so famous, final utterances of people throughout history. He even keeps a Last Words notebook! This book is often super funny, but funny in that cringing, extremely inappropriate way. Wow. I also enjoyed the style of the writing, specifically that the dialogue is not surrounded by quotation marks! Different for sure, but refreshing to read it that way! The ending was unsatisfying for me, but seems appropriate for such a strange and tragic tale. ( )
  Stahl-Ricco | Jan 23, 2016 |
Outrageously funny, so wildly original you forgive a certain amount of repetitiveness, a rude offspring of Philip Roth and Franz Kafka. The sort of book where you constantly want to put it down and call everyone you know to read them the passages you just read.

Solomon Kugel is a neurotic obsessed with death who recently moved with his family to a farmhouse in upstate New York. One night he hears noise coming from the attic, goes up to investigate, and discovers Anne Frank living up there. But not just any Anne Frank, but a cranky, old, foul-mouthed one who is trying to write a book but laboring under the weight of her previous book which, as she constantly reminds us, sold 32 million copies.

Meanwhile, downstairs Kugel's Mother is obsessed with the Holocaust, constantly invents stories about being a survivor, along with bizarre claims (like: see this lamp it's your uncle, but the sticker on it says "Made in Taiwan." Well they wouldn't put Made in Auschwitz on it would they. This then gets repeated with a bar of ivory soap).

The book explores optimism vs. pessimism, the former being personified in Kugel's brother-in-law (Pinckus, who appears to be a stand in for Stephen Pinker) and the later in Kugel and his hilarious psychiatrist Professor Jove.

I don't want to spoil any more, you should just read it. ( )
  nosajeel | Jun 21, 2014 |
hideous ( )
  jeamjik | Sep 16, 2013 |
Solomon Kugel buys his family a farm house in the quiet town of Stockton NY, where nothing has ever happened.
Not long after moving in, a string of arson fires begin to occur in the area and Solomon Kugel finds an old woman living in the attic. She claims she is Anne Frank.
The book is reminiscent of Philip Roth and Portnoy's Complaint. Solomon is preoccupied by death and dying. He is continuously trying to determine the perfect last words, even keeping notebooks filled with his possible options.
He feels guilty about even thinking of kicking Anne out of the attic. His wife accuses him of putting everything and everyone else before his own wife and son. ( )
  aimless22 | Jun 12, 2013 |
It's funny: it isn't the fire that kills you, it's the smoke.
Upstairs.
In the attic.
A ticking?
A tapping.
As if some mouse were gently crapping, crapping on his attic floor.

On retrouve toute la verve et l'imagination iconoclaste de ce jeune écrivain , bien décidé à s'en servir pour démontrer les nuisances de tout fondamentalisme

Relocating his family to an unremarkable rural town in New York in the hopes of starting over, Solomon Kugel must cope with his depressive mother, a local arsonist, and the discovery of a believed-dead historical specimen hiding in his attic.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Hope: A Tragedy by Shalom Auslander was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,163,433 books! | Top bar: Always visible