Grave Mercy: His Fair Assassin, Book I (His…

Grave Mercy: His Fair Assassin, Book I (His Fair Assassin Trilogy) (edition 2012)

by Robin LaFevers

2,2052264,307 (4.01)89
Member:njl145
Title:Grave Mercy: His Fair Assassin, Book I (His Fair Assassin Trilogy)
Authors:Robin LaFevers
Info:Houghton Mifflin Books for Children (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 560 pages
Tags:historical fiction, ya, romance, action, adventure

Grave Mercy by Robin LaFevers

English (224)  German (2)  All languages (226)
So far I like it... strong, well-laid-out characters. ( )
  decaturmamaof2 | Nov 28, 2018 |
Okay, this is amazing. I love it.
It's historical/fantasy. the main character's name is Ismae, and she lives in 14th century Brittany. Brittany is a really tiny country that was at war with France. It probably ended up losing, since it's not around today, not that I'm an expert.
So, Ismae. Apparently, she was sired by Saint Mortain, otherwise know as Brittany's god of Death. Her douche bag dad marries her off to some other douche bag, but she is saved when a preist comes and send her to the convent of Saint Mortain, where she is trained as assassin.
I love a good assassin book, don't you?
Unfortunately, the assassin thing, for some reason, goes sideways in this book. not that Ismae was not able to be an assassin, I'm not talking about the story line right now: I'm talking about content. Towards the beginning of the book, she has two kills in quick sucsesion, and then doesn't kill again for the rest of the book. I was a little disappointed.
But, I suppose the whole assassin thing stepped aside to make way for the romance.
Yes, the ROOOMANCE. I loved it.
Oh, and it's totally cool, because he DIDN'T DIE!
*This is me Happy Dancing*
Yeah, so right about around the time when she kissed him, I'm like "I know how you can cure him!" Unfortunately, she doesn't figure it out until her dad (the God of Death) basically comes up and tells her.
Anyway. I was totally sucked in while I was reading this, and I loved it.
And the cover is so PRETTTTY!!! ( )
  Monica_P | Nov 22, 2018 |
It is the year 1845 in the country of Brittany when seventeen-year-old Ismae escapes an arranged marriage to a brute of a man and is whisked away to a convent where she is to become one of the sisters who serve St. Mortain, the god of death. The sisters there are trained to be assassins who kill according to the will of Mortain, one of the gods of old. Following several years in the convent Ismae is dispatched to complete her first assassination of one who has been marked by Mortain. Soon after, she gets her most important assignment to infiltrate the court and help protect the young Anne who will soon be the ruler. Unfortunately, she begins to have feelings for her escort Duval, who is also Anne’s brother. She must discover how she can fulfill her obligations to the court as well as to her convent and St. Mortain, while sorting out her affections for Duval.

This book is the first in the trilogy called His Fair Assassin. According to the author, much research was conducted prior to the writing of this series. To make the story more interesting and appealing to young adult reader she has added fantasy and romance. The plot is well thought out and the characters develop appropriately as the story unfolds. And as I was reading I found myself becoming immersed in the setting and the time period. The target audience is the young adult reader but I believe the book should be recommended to the mature young adult due to the focus on arranged assassinations.

This review was written from a copy of the ebook offered to me courtesy of the publisher and NetGalley
  Rdglady | Nov 20, 2018 |
Strated very slowly and I had a difficult time getting past what is essentially the back story. It was worth the effort. The first part of the book is 2 stats and the ladt part a 4 so I averaged. Obviously written by a scholar or a woman with critical thinking skills -- so refrehing! ( )
  Omegawega | Apr 1, 2018 |
Gah! So good! Best love story I've read in ages and ages - the descriptions of the physical sensations of live are just brilliant. Read it, right now. Go on, I'll wait. ( )
  annhepburn | Mar 4, 2018 |

LaFevers, Robinprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Moon, ErinNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Mark, who first showed me what true love looked like.
I bear a deep red stain that runs from my left shoulder down to my right hip, a trail left by the herbwitch's poison that my mother used to try to expell me from her womb. That I survived, according to the herbwitch, is no miracle but a sign that I have been sired by the god of death himself.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 054762834X, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month, April 2012: Seventeen-year-old Ismae was fathered by Saint Mortain, the God of Death, and one dark and stormy night, she is brought to a mysterious convent where his many daughters are trained as assassins. When she is given an important assignment to protect the Duchess of Brittany and kill the traitor in her court, Ismae begins to learn that being a handmaiden of Death may not mean what the nuns taught her. But her burgeoning independence comes with consequences, and the fate of an entire country--and the only man she could ever love--hangs in the balance. Set in medieval France with historically accurate details, Grave Mercy is the first book in a gritty, fast-paced trilogy, and gives thrilling new meaning to the term "girl power." --Juliet Disparte

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:59 -0400)

In the fifteenth-century kingdom of Brittany, seventeen-year-old Ismae escapes from the brutality of an arranged marriage into the sanctuary of the convent of St. Mortain, where she learns that the god of Death has blessed her with dangerous gifts--and a violent destiny.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,699,625 books! | Top bar: Always visible