Grave Mercy: His Fair Assassin, Book I (His…

Grave Mercy: His Fair Assassin, Book I (His Fair Assassin Trilogy) (edition 2012)

by Robin LaFevers

1,5322074,796 (4.06)79
Member:Bookswithbite
Title:Grave Mercy: His Fair Assassin, Book I (His Fair Assassin Trilogy)
Authors:Robin LaFevers
Info:Houghton Mifflin Books for Children (2012), Hardcover, 560 pages
Rating:*****

Grave Mercy by Robin LaFevers

English (204)  German (2)  Piratical (1)  All languages (207)
Like may of the books I've been reading as of late, this has been on my TBR list for quite some time, before I finally decide to smack myself and read it already! I seem to remember hearing great things about this book, but it could have been another book that looked similar...no! I believe it was the third book that caught my attention, so I decided to read the first one so that I could read the third one...hmmm...no matter, I have finally read this, and now I will review it....

This book was chunky, and this could either be a good thing or a bad thing, in this case, it was a bad thing. When I think back to what I've read, I don't remember much of what happened in the first 350 or so pages. It was only at the 400 mark that things started to happen and I started to get excited.

Ismae's relationship with her saint/god was commendable. I really enjoyed reading a book where the main character was as devoted as Ismae was with her God. Granted, it did become a bit of a nuisance at times, but it was quite enjoyable as a whole.

I feel as if the side characters didn't get much of an appearance. Yes, I realise that this is normal since they are side characters, but I really would have liked to have seen and learned more about Beast and de Lornay. They were immensely interesting and I'm quite disappointed with how they met with their fate.

When I finally flipped to the final page of the book, I expected there to be a sequel, but apparently, there is not. There is a companion novel of sort, I suppose, but it is mainly about Sybella, a girl from Ismae's convent. I'm not too sure if I will pursue this series since I'm not looking forward to yet another (probably) chunky book, but I'd hate to leave any series unfinished, and according to the reviews I've read for the next two books, it seems to get better. That's good news... ( )
  elizabeth1929 | Feb 1, 2016 |
It was a bit slow at the beginning, which is it's only flaw. I appreciate the strong female character and the fact that the love interest didn't diminish her in anyways. He was her equal in everything and made her stronger. Involved plot, but well written and enjoyable. Romance isn't lovey dovey; it's real and only added to the story. Very good :) ( )
  uhohxkate | Jan 31, 2016 |
I loved the effects on my soul when I read this book. I was whisked away into the swirling rapids of this world. It was an adventure, a mystical world filled with danger, mistrust and gods.(I love multi gods)Oh the gods, they are a fascinating group although we really only get a glance at one, Death he is unique. A dark figure misunderstood even by those who serve him.
The Story is of Ismae, a mistreated, misunderstood and misjudged woman who finds solace and a new life at a convent. Our heroine, has some unique traits of her own. She is a daughter of Death, and in training to be a full time Assassin Nun. Yes, really. She has some serious skills with weapons, poisons, and feeling the souls of those she deals her skills on. She has been told to do as she was told, no questions, no wavering. Ah, but she is bright and she has something else in her heart.
Duval, the thorn in her side will take her into a place where everything she has been taught will be questioned. She will learn much of her order, her world and who she really is. Not without great loss, or great pain.
Loved it- Thank for the heads up G. ( )
  TheYodamom | Jan 29, 2016 |
A very good historical fiction/fantasy story with a strong female lead and some interesting secondary characters. I found the political intrigue occassionally hard to follow (who is French, who is related to who). I wanted more fighting, as Ismae had all these cool weapons and poisons and didn't get to use very many even though she was a handmaiden of death. I found the concept of the handmaiden's and the convent to be really interesting and wish the book spent more time on what they do at the convent. I will definitly be reading the next in the series because it will delve into a different handmaiden's story. ( )
  clockwork_serenity | Jan 23, 2016 |
  clockwork_serenity | Jan 23, 2016 |

LaFevers, Robinprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Moon, ErinNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Mark, who first showed me what true love looked like.
I bear a deep red stain that runs from my left shoulder down to my right hip, a trail left by the herbwitch's poison that my mother used to try to expell me from her womb. That I survived, according to the herbwitch, is no miracle but a sign that I have been sired by the god of death himself.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 054762834X, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month, April 2012: Seventeen-year-old Ismae was fathered by Saint Mortain, the God of Death, and one dark and stormy night, she is brought to a mysterious convent where his many daughters are trained as assassins. When she is given an important assignment to protect the Duchess of Brittany and kill the traitor in her court, Ismae begins to learn that being a handmaiden of Death may not mean what the nuns taught her. But her burgeoning independence comes with consequences, and the fate of an entire country--and the only man she could ever love--hangs in the balance. Set in medieval France with historically accurate details, Grave Mercy is the first book in a gritty, fast-paced trilogy, and gives thrilling new meaning to the term "girl power." --Juliet Disparte

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:59 -0400)

In the fifteenth-century kingdom of Brittany, seventeen-year-old Ismae escapes from the brutality of an arranged marriage into the sanctuary of the convent of St. Mortain, where she learns that the god of Death has blessed her with dangerous gifts--and a violent destiny.… (more)

267 wanted3 pay2 pay

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,215,162 books! | Top bar: Always visible