Grave Mercy: His Fair Assassin, Book I (His…

Grave Mercy: His Fair Assassin, Book I (His Fair Assassin Trilogy) (edition 2012)

by Robin LaFevers

Member:Bookswithbite
Title:Grave Mercy: His Fair Assassin, Book I (His Fair Assassin Trilogy)
Authors:Robin LaFevers
Info:Houghton Mifflin Books for Children (2012), Hardcover, 560 pages
Rating:*****

Grave Mercy by Robin LaFevers

English (175)  German (2)  Piratical (1)  All languages (178)
I have very mixed feelings about this book. For the most part I enjoyed it but there were a couple parts where it nearly hit rock bottom. This book is a mix of history with a few new characters tossed into the mix to add some unique spice. Mostly positive thoughts on this new series so far.

Ismae is a very strong young woman and is an easy character to admire. She rises above a harsh childhood and is rescued from a contemptible marriage and moved to a convent where the women there serve Mortain (Death). She is trained in the ways of an assassin in his service and specializes in poisons. This part greatly appealed to me at first.

She is one her early assignments when she meets Duval. She is assigned to appear as his mistress to gather intel for the abbey on the inner workings of whether he or others are loyalist to the Duchess (Anne). Both are very distrustful of the others at first but when Anne's life is threatened, and the abbey gives her new orders Ismae is forced to make some crucual choices that can change everything

I loved the characters in this book and I liked the light mystery and intrigue it presents. What I did not like, however, were the info dumps. Especially around 20%-50% mark of the book. The political aspects and family relations are quite overwhelming and drastically cuts into the pace of the plot. So it starts off fast then levels out and suddenly hits a crawling pace for short bursts.

I almost did not finish but I did and am glad for that. The second half of the book does pick up again and the historical plotline blends much more smoothly with that if Ismae.

I did enjoyed the tracing of the historical happenings of this book. Many of the political happenings is accurate with some original characters. The book starts off a more edgy book but does take a dive for the more romantic side as the book moves along. Overall a very well done blend. 3 1/2 stars

*I received a copy of this book in exchange for a fair and honest review* ( )
  jljaina | May 16, 2015 |
Fun, but not a must-read. ( )
  Brainannex | Mar 22, 2015 |
Historical fantasy set in medieval Brittany, featuring an abused young woman who is rescued from a life of brutal drudgery as the would-be wife of a peasant farmer, and is groomed by an unusual religious order devoted to Mortain, the god of death, to be an assassin. Though the writing is polished, the pace is quite slow, filled with description and dialog with occasional action sequences. It doesn't help that this audiobook has only one voice actor, and she is fine with female voices, but terrible with male ones, making some of the males sound like cranky old ladies. Not sure if I would have enjoyed reading it more. Have bought all three titles in the series for my high school library, and they have been a tough sell. ( )
  fromthecomfychair | Feb 25, 2015 |
A very different read for me. It was beautifully written. I liked it & would read the rest in the series. I would give it a 3.5 stars. ( )
  michele.juza | Feb 25, 2015 |
I enjoyed the story of a strong heroine who had to make decisions based on the information she was given and then live with the repercussions of having made those decisions. I'm looking forward to the next story! ( )
  slsmitty25 | Feb 11, 2015 |

LaFevers, Robinprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Moon, ErinNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Mark, who first showed me what true love looked like.
I bear a deep red stain that runs from my left shoulder down to my right hip, a trail left by the herbwitch's poison that my mother used to try to expell me from her womb. That I survived, according to the herbwitch, is no miracle but a sign that I have been sired by the god of death himself.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 054762834X, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month, April 2012: Seventeen-year-old Ismae was fathered by Saint Mortain, the God of Death, and one dark and stormy night, she is brought to a mysterious convent where his many daughters are trained as assassins. When she is given an important assignment to protect the Duchess of Brittany and kill the traitor in her court, Ismae begins to learn that being a handmaiden of Death may not mean what the nuns taught her. But her burgeoning independence comes with consequences, and the fate of an entire country--and the only man she could ever love--hangs in the balance. Set in medieval France with historically accurate details, Grave Mercy is the first book in a gritty, fast-paced trilogy, and gives thrilling new meaning to the term "girl power." --Juliet Disparte

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:59 -0400)

In the fifteenth-century kingdom of Brittany, seventeen-year-old Ismae escapes from the brutality of an arranged marriage into the sanctuary of the convent of St. Mortain, where she learns that the god of Death has blessed her with dangerous gifts--and a violent destiny.… (more)

264 wanted3 pay1 pay

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,934,174 books! | Top bar: Always visible