Grave Mercy: His Fair Assassin, Book I (His…

Grave Mercy: His Fair Assassin, Book I (His Fair Assassin Trilogy) (edition 2012)

by Robin LaFevers

1,1971746,697 (4.09)76
Member:Bookswithbite
Title:Grave Mercy: His Fair Assassin, Book I (His Fair Assassin Trilogy)
Authors:Robin LaFevers
Info:Houghton Mifflin Books for Children (2012), Hardcover, 560 pages
Rating:*****

Grave Mercy by Robin LaFevers

English (171)  German (2)  Piratical (1)  All languages (174)
I enjoyed this book very much. The characters were very well thought out and expanded upon, as well as the interesting plot. ( )
  PrescottKris | Jan 26, 2015 |
World building 60%
character building 80%
personal development 40%
Religion and philosophy development 20%

A romantic adventure set in an unusual environment. Interesting choice of mythos for background. Overall 80%

would read more from this author ( )
  jason9292 | Jan 17, 2015 |
There is so much about this book that I just love. To start with, I love how the story is about a girl who is revealed to be a daughter of Death. And as if being a daughter of Death isn't awesome and intriguing, she is also trained to be an assassin. That alone had me sold on the story.
I like how the assignment she is given turns into a big mysterious whodunit. As a result of the time period in which the story is written, that just makes everything that much harder.
There are also many great characters who give the story depth, passion, and allure. The slow burning romance is also appreciated more so than an instant love. The bickering and banter before a blossomed love always makes for a good read.
I can't wait to learn what will come from the next book in what I imagine to be a remarkable trilogy. ( )
  JosP | Jan 15, 2015 |
Ismae is rescued at a young age from an arranged marriage and taken to the convent of St. Mortain, the God of Death. At the convent Ismae is treated well and as a daughter of Death, she is trained in the arts of death, carrying out Mortain's will. Ismae's talents grow quickly, she is immune to poisons and can see the marque of death; with instruction from the Sisters she becomes adept in poisons, weapons, fighting and womanly arts. After successfully completing two assignments, Ismae is sent on a long-term task. Disguised as the mistress of Duval. Ismae is sent to the court at Brittany to protect the young Duchess Anne through marriage plots and other court treachery. When the convent sends orders to kill people that Ismae believes are innocent, she must make the decision to kill or let live.

I loved the concept of this book, assassin nuns. With a slight paranormal twist, the Sisters at the convent of St. Mortain have been given powers by Death himself, but have to choose how they use it. Since Ismae was saved by the convent, this is a difficult lesson for her to learn. Ismae is a strong character and I liked seeing all of the different ways she was able to kill and use her skills. At first, it seemed like Ismae might just follow orders unquestioningly, but once out of the convent, she begins to think about where the orders come from and what they mean; I was glad with her decisions at the end. I loved that the court of Duchess Anne of Brittany was brought to life through Ismae's eyes, all of the marriage proposals and battles are events that Anne goes through within the book were real events. I can't wait to read the mysterious Sybella's story next.

This book was received for free in return for an honest review. ( )
  Mishker | Jan 10, 2015 |
I was given a free copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

This book gives an interesting fantastical twist to historical events. I enjoyed the research that went into setting the scene and the idea of strong female characters set in contrast to the repressiveness of the time period. The character was not as robust as I would have preferred, but I am a huge fan of characterization. That being said, she was a very relatable protagonist. ( )
  Velmeran | Jan 4, 2015 |

LaFevers, Robinprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Moon, ErinNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Mark, who first showed me what true love looked like.
I bear a deep red stain that runs from my left shoulder down to my right hip, a trail left by the herbwitch's poison that my mother used to try to expell me from her womb. That I survived, according to the herbwitch, is no miracle but a sign that I have been sired by the god of death himself.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 054762834X, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month, April 2012: Seventeen-year-old Ismae was fathered by Saint Mortain, the God of Death, and one dark and stormy night, she is brought to a mysterious convent where his many daughters are trained as assassins. When she is given an important assignment to protect the Duchess of Brittany and kill the traitor in her court, Ismae begins to learn that being a handmaiden of Death may not mean what the nuns taught her. But her burgeoning independence comes with consequences, and the fate of an entire country--and the only man she could ever love--hangs in the balance. Set in medieval France with historically accurate details, Grave Mercy is the first book in a gritty, fast-paced trilogy, and gives thrilling new meaning to the term "girl power." --Juliet Disparte

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:52:13 -0400)

In the fifteenth-century kingdom of Brittany, seventeen-year-old Ismae escapes from the brutality of an arranged marriage into the sanctuary of the convent of St. Mortain, where she learns that the god of Death has blessed her with dangerous gifts--and a violent destiny.… (more)

164 wanted3 pay1 pay

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,168,177 books! | Top bar: Always visible