Grave Mercy: His Fair Assassin, Book I (His…

Grave Mercy: His Fair Assassin, Book I (His Fair Assassin Trilogy) (edition 2012)

by Robin LaFevers

Member:Bookswithbite
Title:Grave Mercy: His Fair Assassin, Book I (His Fair Assassin Trilogy)
Authors:Robin LaFevers
Info:Houghton Mifflin Books for Children (2012), Hardcover, 560 pages
Rating:*****

Grave Mercy by Robin LaFevers

English (165)  German (2)  Piratical (1)  All languages (168)
At first, I wondered about this story. Vigilante nuns? Assassins? Fight for political gain? Romance? Yessss. But it was the historical fiction with fantastic research that drew me in after perusing the cover.

Many people use this word wrong, "peruse". It doesnt mean some casual glance, or fleeting eyes in a cursory once over. Peruse means to intently study in depth. Thats how much the cover draws you in. Great artwork.

How can you not look at that cover and truly feel the darker and colder side of our story? The missions, the girl, her friendships, the adventure...she's bold, cunning, unsure enough to be completely relate-able, and yet, so very strong in mind and spirit. I also loved our main characters for positivity. Strength. Honorable and duty bound.

The audience is young adult but the writing doesnt feel dumbed down at all. I would not hesitate to share this with tween-aged girls.*

Thank you to Netgalley and Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Children's Book Group for the opportunity to read in lieu of an honest review.

*of note: my 11 yr old reads beyond her years, YA and high school levels. Parents of tweens may find issue with implied (never graphic, PG13) sexual content. ( )
  fueledbycoffee | Dec 19, 2014 |
RGG: Strong female lead, slow-burning love interest, interesting plot equals a great read. The historical setting of Brittany in the Middle Ages may be a little off-putting initally for some readers, but most readers will be quickly immersed. Reading Interest: 14-YA (one or two implicit references to sexual acts).
1 vote rgruberexcel | Nov 26, 2014 |
A bit too mature for middle school. Passing it along to my high school.
17 year old Ismae, who escapes from an abusive arranged marriage, becomes a handmaiden to death; carrying out assassinations on orders from the convent where she lives. She is ordered to assassinate Gavriel Duval, but finds herself totally unprepared to deal with a target who has stolen her heart. ( )
  JRlibrary | Sep 28, 2014 |
Read for Fun (Library Book/Book Club)
Overall Rating: 4.00
Story Rating: 4.25
Character Rating: 3.75

Read It File It Review: Overall I was very impressed with Grave Mercy by Robin LaFevers! The story was strong and the characters really grew on me by the end of the story. My favorite part of Grave Mercy was the action. I'm not going to lie, I kind of like when the leading lady not only holds her own but is also the one that has to save the day without making other characters look weak. It is a nice twist to read. I will pick up the next one in the series from the library.

Book Club Thoughts: The gals at book club agreed that this was a very good read that could appeal to many different readers. One of the ladies was particularly drawn to how well the author was "true" to the time (she is a bit of a history buff). She liked the detail to how they dressed and the setting. Overall this was a win for the book club gals! ( )
  thehistorychic | Sep 26, 2014 |
4.5/5 Stars

So Assassin Nuns! What more could you ask for! This book piqued my interest purely because of said nuns. And yes they are nuns devout to Death, but it is a convent nonetheless that trains young girls to be assassins.

There is obvious female power and strength in this book with the convent being full of strong female characters. At the beginning of the book, we learn that Ismae has been treated horribly by both her parents and her husband. However, this does not stop her from escaping with the help of a priest who then takes her to Saint Mortain.

One issue I have with the book is Ismae’s immediate acceptance of her fate. She automatically trusts the nuns and believes in their cause after she survives the poisoning. She even convinces another girl to stay on her first night. Another is that after chapter 5 you jump three years ahead. While I understand that this was done to move the book along, it would have been nice to see aspects of her training.

The main chunk of this story is Ismae on her final test before taking her vows to Mortain. This test involves time with Duval. Duval is an interesting character who is clearly hiding things throughout the story but he still treats Ismae with respect and knows what she is capable of.

The interactions between Ismae and Duval throughout the book are fantastic. They are both respect each other and each other’s opinions on important matters. I love their various interactions and plotting. Together they are able to solve the mystery and find the traitor.

Overall, I really enjoyed this book. The world of Assassin Nuns is enticing and magical. Cannot wait to read more in the series. ( )
  forsakenfates | Sep 21, 2014 |

LaFevers, Robinprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Moon, ErinNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Mark, who first showed me what true love looked like.
I bear a deep red stain that runs from my left shoulder down to my right hip, a trail left by the herbwitch's poison that my mother used to try to expell me from her womb. That I survived, according to the herbwitch, is no miracle but a sign that I have been sired by the god of death himself.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 054762834X, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month, April 2012: Seventeen-year-old Ismae was fathered by Saint Mortain, the God of Death, and one dark and stormy night, she is brought to a mysterious convent where his many daughters are trained as assassins. When she is given an important assignment to protect the Duchess of Brittany and kill the traitor in her court, Ismae begins to learn that being a handmaiden of Death may not mean what the nuns taught her. But her burgeoning independence comes with consequences, and the fate of an entire country--and the only man she could ever love--hangs in the balance. Set in medieval France with historically accurate details, Grave Mercy is the first book in a gritty, fast-paced trilogy, and gives thrilling new meaning to the term "girl power." --Juliet Disparte

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:52:13 -0400)

In the fifteenth-century kingdom of Brittany, seventeen-year-old Ismae escapes from the brutality of an arranged marriage into the sanctuary of the convent of St. Mortain, where she learns that the god of Death has blessed her with dangerous gifts--and a violent destiny.… (more)

164 wanted3 pay1 pay

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,440,177 books! | Top bar: Always visible