Grave Mercy: His Fair Assassin, Book I (His…

Grave Mercy: His Fair Assassin, Book I (His Fair Assassin Trilogy) (edition 2012)

by Robin LaFevers

Member:Bookswithbite
Title:Grave Mercy: His Fair Assassin, Book I (His Fair Assassin Trilogy)
Authors:Robin LaFevers
Info:Houghton Mifflin Books for Children (2012), Hardcover, 560 pages
Rating:*****

Grave Mercy by Robin LaFevers

English (215)  German (2)  English (217)
I don't know why it took me so long to finish this book! The story was not lacking in excitement or intrigue, yet I found myself struggling to read it; that is until I downloaded the audiobook. The story is mainly political - a lot of it based on real event in Brittany at the time - with an overlay of the fantastical.

Isame is a young, and sometimes naive character, but written in a way that's more lovable than annoying. I could understand why it took her such a long time to explore the depth of her gifts - special skills from the god of death himself - but I wished she had done some of it earlier in the narrative.

While no insta-love or love triangle (or the angst that generally follows such devices), I found the romantic spin of the story a little sudden - Duval is not a novice, and I would imagine that he would be very cautious around the young assassin, so it seemed sudden, his change in feelings. However, seeing as it was told from Isame's point of view, I'm willing to let it go.

By far my biggest hang up was Isame's seeming unconcern for her other sister (Sybella) that she bumps into now and then. I wonder why she didn't make contact or even think of Sybella more often; other than when it seemed necessary to advance the plot.

I'm most likely going to read the other two books in the series, based on two entirely different characters. I have a feeling I might like Sybella's story a lot more.

iShanella | Dec 2, 2016 |
Took awhile to get into.... But the last 200 pages were fun. But not a series I'm dying to read. ( )
  pickleroad | Nov 10, 2016 |
A lot of (long, slow) build up to something that didn't pay off as much as I expected it to in the end. Not terrible, but not great. Riiiiiight in the middle. ( )
  s.pando | Nov 4, 2016 |
  s.pando | Nov 4, 2016 |
I just finished Grave Mercy and am left aw struck. The world between the pages has managed to lure me in and bury deep within my soul. It was full of suspense, royalty, bitter emotions, and unconditional love. It had many twists and turns that left me on the edge of my seat.

It is a story about a young girl who is convent raised to be an assassin. She is taught all the ways to kill and then sent on missions to look for the marque of death. When she is sent with Duval to the palace her world gets a tad crazy. She isn't sure who to confide in other then fulfilling her service to Mortain and her commitment to the duchess. Secrets have to be revealed and lies have to be uncovered... She doesn't expect to feel anything of the sorts of love, but the match is lit and there is no turning back. In the end a slow burn romance turns into a full burn flame.

I just fell head over heels in love with the characters and quickly became envious and jealous of Ismae. Her life was dangerous, but it was also magical, romantic, and intense. I loved how strong she was and how she always followed her heart no matter the consequence... She was a bada$$ heroine that pulled me in and left me captivated.

Overall, this book exceeded all expectations. It consumed me with it's regal setting and left me wanting to bid the lord good night. I definitely recommend it to all readers! Even if you aren't a YA fan... I still think you will enjoy it.
  ReadersCandyb | Oct 7, 2016 |

LaFevers, Robinprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Moon, ErinNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Mark, who first showed me what true love looked like.
I bear a deep red stain that runs from my left shoulder down to my right hip, a trail left by the herbwitch's poison that my mother used to try to expell me from her womb. That I survived, according to the herbwitch, is no miracle but a sign that I have been sired by the god of death himself.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 054762834X, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month, April 2012: Seventeen-year-old Ismae was fathered by Saint Mortain, the God of Death, and one dark and stormy night, she is brought to a mysterious convent where his many daughters are trained as assassins. When she is given an important assignment to protect the Duchess of Brittany and kill the traitor in her court, Ismae begins to learn that being a handmaiden of Death may not mean what the nuns taught her. But her burgeoning independence comes with consequences, and the fate of an entire country--and the only man she could ever love--hangs in the balance. Set in medieval France with historically accurate details, Grave Mercy is the first book in a gritty, fast-paced trilogy, and gives thrilling new meaning to the term "girl power." --Juliet Disparte

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:59 -0400)

In the fifteenth-century kingdom of Brittany, seventeen-year-old Ismae escapes from the brutality of an arranged marriage into the sanctuary of the convent of St. Mortain, where she learns that the god of Death has blessed her with dangerous gifts--and a violent destiny.… (more)

237 wanted3 pay2 pay

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,663,014 books! | Top bar: Always visible