Grave Mercy: His Fair Assassin, Book I (His…

Grave Mercy: His Fair Assassin, Book I (His Fair Assassin Trilogy) (edition 2012)

by Robin LaFevers

Title:Grave Mercy: His Fair Assassin, Book I (His Fair Assassin Trilogy)
Authors:Robin LaFevers
Info:Houghton Mifflin Books for Children (2012), Hardcover, 560 pages

Grave Mercy by Robin LaFevers

English (212)  German (2)  All languages (214)
I just finished Grave Mercy and am left aw struck. The world between the pages has managed to lure me in and bury deep within my soul. It was full of suspense, royalty, bitter emotions, and unconditional love. It had many twists and turns that left me on the edge of my seat.

It is a story about a young girl who is convent raised to be an assassin. She is taught all the ways to kill and then sent on missions to look for the marque of death. When she is sent with Duval to the palace her world gets a tad crazy. She isn't sure who to confide in other then fulfilling her service to Mortain and her commitment to the duchess. Secrets have to be revealed and lies have to be uncovered... She doesn't expect to feel anything of the sorts of love, but the match is lit and there is no turning back. In the end a slow burn romance turns into a full burn flame.

I just fell head over heels in love with the characters and quickly became envious and jealous of Ismae. Her life was dangerous, but it was also magical, romantic, and intense. I loved how strong she was and how she always followed her heart no matter the consequence... She was a bada$$ heroine that pulled me in and left me captivated.

Overall, this book exceeded all expectations. It consumed me with it's regal setting and left me wanting to bid the lord good night. I definitely recommend it to all readers! Even if you aren't a YA fan... I still think you will enjoy it.
  ReadersCandyb | Oct 7, 2016 |
Intrigue, passion and romance combine in this delightful surprise by Robin LaFevers. Not only does she prove her excellence in blending both multi-dimensional characters and historical prose, but as a master wordsmiths. Grave Mercy is marketed as young adult but read like the best samplings of historical fiction. Not to mention the idea of assassin nuns masquerading among royalty is just plain fun. If your in need of new meat in an otherwise overdone genre then this refreshing tale is for you. Dance with death in this scrumptious dive into medieval France. ( )
  JSilverwood | Aug 27, 2016 |
This sounded like a perfect book for me. Assassin nuns who were worshipping a god in the guise of a saint (saint Mortmain) and who were trying to keep Brittany (yah Greater Celtic Supernation) Ismae is a novice, sent on her first mission with a man who is at first hostile to her and then warms up, She was married but the marriage was never consummated, Her father treated her badly and she bears the mark of the god/saint of death she is brought to the convent to be trained and then I was annoyed. You see nothing of her learning, nothing about her learning how she's immune to most poisons, nothing about the difference between learning to fight in skirts and trousers, none of that that would have made the story compelling to me, instead in the space of a few pages she's done with the training and then on with protecting Anne of Brittany ( a real historical figure) and reading the wikipedia entry there are a few more historical figures who feature in the story.

There's a review on the back from the New York Times where it says that it "leaves you craving more" and that was the case with me, but not just that I wanted to read more in the series, partially to see how the world develops but also I wanted more in this story, I felt like I was missing too much of the story.

Not a bad read, could do better. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Jul 20, 2016 |
Really nice to read a book with no love triangle! ( )
  mtlkch | Jun 21, 2016 |
Castles, assassins, intrigue and a little romance. What more could you ask for? ( )
  euroclewis | Jun 8, 2016 |

LaFevers, Robinprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Moon, ErinNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Mark, who first showed me what true love looked like.
I bear a deep red stain that runs from my left shoulder down to my right hip, a trail left by the herbwitch's poison that my mother used to try to expell me from her womb. That I survived, according to the herbwitch, is no miracle but a sign that I have been sired by the god of death himself.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 054762834X, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month, April 2012: Seventeen-year-old Ismae was fathered by Saint Mortain, the God of Death, and one dark and stormy night, she is brought to a mysterious convent where his many daughters are trained as assassins. When she is given an important assignment to protect the Duchess of Brittany and kill the traitor in her court, Ismae begins to learn that being a handmaiden of Death may not mean what the nuns taught her. But her burgeoning independence comes with consequences, and the fate of an entire country--and the only man she could ever love--hangs in the balance. Set in medieval France with historically accurate details, Grave Mercy is the first book in a gritty, fast-paced trilogy, and gives thrilling new meaning to the term "girl power." --Juliet Disparte

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:59 -0400)

In the fifteenth-century kingdom of Brittany, seventeen-year-old Ismae escapes from the brutality of an arranged marriage into the sanctuary of the convent of St. Mortain, where she learns that the god of Death has blessed her with dangerous gifts--and a violent destiny.… (more)

237 wanted3 pay2 pay

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,847,218 books! | Top bar: Always visible