Something Strange and Deadly (Something…

Something Strange and Deadly (Something Strange and Deadly - Trilogy) (edition 2012)

by Susan Dennard

Member:krau0098
Title:Something Strange and Deadly (Something Strange and Deadly - Trilogy)
Authors:Susan Dennard
Info:HarperTeen (2012), Hardcover, 400 pages
Collections:Already Read, Your library
Rating:*****
Tags:young adult, fantasy, zombies

Something Strange and Deadly by Susan Dennard

"Something Strange and Deadly" is nothing if not lightweight lit. The premise is intriguing--zombies in the 1876 Philadelphia Centennial Expo. mixed with high society, pretty dresses and polite fashions type stuff. It was a very easy read, though--I finished it in six and a half hours. Additionally, I ranked the novel as a two-star story while I was reading it because the plot is so see-through. Any and all "twists" are clearly visible from a hundred miles off.

The so-called mystery is not the only thing going for "Something Strange and Deadly," though. The writing is good. The cast is more diverse than normally found in a YA book with a blond white girl on the cover, and the cast is also three-dimensional. There were several characters that, to my surprise, I found myself liking very much because of their three-dimensionality.

Even though I didn't enjoy "Something Strange and Deadly" all the way through, I will in all likelihood pick up the sequel due to the writing and the skill Dennard wove those characters. Additionally, this is Susan Dennard's debut novel. Everything after an author's first novel tends to improve, so I'm hopeful I'll like the sequel even more. ( )
  whatsmacksaid | Sep 21, 2018 |
3.5 stars ( )
  thepageparamour | Sep 9, 2018 |
A dark and twisting gothic horror with a captivating mystery, a hint of romance, and a female lead who learns to believe in herself and her abilities. ( )
  hawaiianmermaid701 | Apr 25, 2018 |
I enjoyed the mystery of this novel. Trying to figure out who the necromancer was and why what happened to drive Eleanor's father to ruin was intriguing. The mystery was entertaining. However, something was just lacking in this novel. I'm not sure if my problem lies with Eleanor (she wasn't overly interesting) or the worldbuilding. Seeing as I read most of this while on night shift, I'm not sure if my overly tired brain just missed some of the details. I do know that I was very disappointed in the romance. It seemed a little forced to me given the interactions the two shared. ( )
  seriesousbooks | Feb 7, 2018 |
Terrifically inaccurate. Tries to be steampunk but in that "Throw goggles on it and call it steampunk" kind of way. The world building was inconsistent. And GIRLS FROM THAT TIME WOULD BE WEARING CORSETS THAT ACTUALLY FIT THEM. (Full review eventually) ( )
  eaduncan | Sep 14, 2017 |
To Seb, for walking the dog, making the coffee, and lis-
tening to my stream-of-consciousness rambling--all without
complaint.Je t'aime.
"Dead!"
(p 8-9)

Walking Dead Still Rise in
Laurel Hill Cemetery

Today marks one week since the discovery of the corpse of Fredrick Weathers, son of City Councilman Thomas Weathers. Fredrick, who had disappeared two days before, was discovered at the International Centennial Exhibition as a walking corpse. His murdered is presumed to be the same person responsible for raising the Dead.
(p 35)

Joseph Boyer if the Spirit-Hinters stated in an interview:"The Laurel Hill corpses are under the necromancer's control and do his bidding, but as of Yet, we don not know the necromancer's identity or aim."
    The Spirit-Hunters arrived a week ago to protect the thousands of Centennial Exhibition visitors for the Dead. They have installed alarms throughout the Exhibition buildings in case more courses appear on the grounds. . . .
(p 102)

. . . The missing pages from Cairo are in a museum here, but the curators are not cooperative. These are such exciting times, my dear sister! I have begun experiments that I believe will impress you. Unfortunately, they have impressed others as well, and they are not the sort of people I want around. . . .
(p 102)

I am coning home on the train scheduled for next Friday (May 26). These people continue to harass me, and I feel my research will run more smoothly in Philadelphia. . . .
(p 208)

Dearest Sister,
You must stop searching for me. You must stop seeing the Spirit-Hunter. You hurt me by being with them and worse, you put yourself in danger.
With all my love,
Elijah

"In an alternate nineteenth-century Philadelphia, Eleanor Fitt sets out to rescue her brother, who seems to have been captured by an evil necromancer in control of an army of Undead"--

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,969,489 books! | Top bar: Always visible