Latte Trouble by Cleo Coyle

Latte Trouble (edition 2005)

by Cleo Coyle

Member:comfy_corner
Title:Latte Trouble
Authors:Cleo Coyle
Info:Berkley (2005), Paperback, 256 pages
Tags:Coyle - Coffeehouse Mystery BOOK 3

Latte Trouble by Cleo Coyle

I enjoy this series Bc they are filled with coffee and mystery (which I usually figure out pretty early in the book) they'd a fun fast read. This the third installment didn't disappoint ( )
  StarKnits | Feb 6, 2019 |
This is the third book in the Coffeehouse Mystery Series, but the first that I have read. I picked this book up because I needed a book with Latte in the title for a challenge I am in. I am not sure how I feel about this book. I liked it, but parts of it were not what I expected from a cozy. There was way too much information about how to make coffee and how beans are processed. The descriptions in the book were excellent and made you feel like you were there. Parts of the story were almost like a police procedural, a little dull, but part of the protaganists investigation. The series takes place in New York, hence the topic of Fashion Week.

It is fashion week, where the coffee shop is hosting an event for a designer of accessories. The accessory and clothing line that the murder revolves around are designed around coffee, the colour, the swirls etc. Clare is the protagonist and manager of the The Blend, where the first murder takes place. Clare's amusing and loyal barrista is the one who made and served the deadly latte, therefore he is arrested for the crime. Clare must do all she can to find out who the real culprit is. Her investigation is not easy. First she must determine who the actual target really was, who would want to kill him/her, what are the motives and how did they do it. The plot is intricately laid out with lots of twists, turns and some red herring thrown in.

Despite the clever mystery plotting, this one is only a 3 star for me. Clare is sometimes a bit too careless, but she's still an enjoyable heroine. I like the realistic situations she faces with her independent daughter Joy and the back-and-forth strange relationship with her ex husband, Matteo. There is also a police detective, Quinn, that is mentioned early but does not make an appearance until the end, that might be a romantic interest. Madame as the mother-in-law is fun and often surprises everyone throughout the story. The one thing that is not included in this book but is often in cozy mysteries is the help of local police. They do not really seem to be involved in the story at all which is very different.

The ending brings out a creative culprit and not someone I would have suspected, this was a definite well crafted twist to the story. The characters were not very complex with the exception of Clare and the immediate family. I wonder if there was more to them in previous books. Not sure if I will read another, there was just something I can't put my finger on. ( )
  Carlathelibrarian | Feb 5, 2019 |
From the book jacket To Clare Cosi’s surprise, this fall’s hottest fashion trend is anything caffeinated – because designer Lottie Harmon, a loyal coffeehouse customer, has just created an ingenious collection of coffee- inspired fashion accessories. So naturally, Lottie chooses the Village Blend as the perfect backdrop for fall Fashion Week insiders to view her new line of “Java Jewelry.” When barista Tucker unwittingly serves a poisonous latte to a prominent figure on the fashion scene, Clare suspects that the real target may have been Lottie. Now she much protest her business from negative publicity, Lottie from further danger, and Tucker from murder charges.

My reactions
Book three in the Coffee House series is fast, entertaining, and enjoyable. I figured out the culprit way before Clare (or the police), but it was still fun watching them work through the clues. As always, Coyle includes some interesting tidbits about coffee, which I liked (even though these segues detracted from the plot).

What I didn’t like so much was the on-again-off-again relationship with Clare’s ex, Matteo. I’m sure Coyle included it to add some sexual tension, but I thought it was totally unnecessary.

Still, on the whole this is a quick, fun, cozy mystery. ( )
  BookConcierge | Sep 4, 2016 |
Latte Trouble A CoffeeHouse Mystery by Cleo Coyle

Cleo Coyle has served up another delicious mystery with this book. Clare's Coffeehouse the Village Blend is chosen for a party during Fashion Week and she is excited to do it until one of the people at the party is murdered and her barista is arrested for the murder. Clare has to find out who murdered her party goer and help Tucker get out of jail. Clare dons her detective hat so to speak to find the culprit and clear Tucker while saving her coffeehouse's reputation too.

I love this book and series. Clare is a strong, tough and independent woman who can also be loving , kind and caring. She protects her family and her coffeehouse family even when it means she has to put herself in danger to snoop and find answers to the murder. This book has some twists that keep you guessing. The suspects are many and the ending is a surprise. Cleo Coyle really shows you just how cut throat the fashion industry can be and I loved how she intertwines the fashion week into the mystery by making it an integral part of the plot. Cleo Coyle always has a surprise or two in her mysteries that make them unpredictable. Latte Trouble will keep you guessing and will surprise you when you find out who is the murderer and why. Just like my coffee I can never get enough of the Coffeehouse Mysteries and Latte Trouble is no exception.

If you like a good mystery that has a surprise ending then don't miss Latte Trouble by Cleo Coyle.

If you would like to learn more about Cleo Coyle and her books check out her site at

until next time:

GRAB A CUP OF COFFEE OR TEA, SOME CHOCOLATE, A GOOD BOOK AND KEEP ON READING! ( )
  debf56 | May 23, 2014 |
This was a quick read with some twists and turns. I wasn't sure who dunnit until toward the end. ( )
  dukefan86 | May 29, 2013 |
Behind every successful woman...
is a substantial amount of coffee.

--Stephanie Piro, Comic Artist
This book is dedicated to
Julie and Kerry Milliron
cherished friends
steadfast supporters
gracious, generous, giving
Village people
original thinkers
what E.B. White had in mind
New Yorkers
"How do you like your poison?" whispered the voice in the dark.

coffeehousemysteries.com- The barista meets the fashionista! For years, fashion designer Lottie Harmon was the toast of New York’s fashion industry until something happened that made her close up shop and leave the city. Now she’s back, making a splash with an ingenious new collection of coffee-inspired accessories. Because Lottie was always a loyal customer of the Village Blend, she chooses Clare’s coffeehouse as the stage for fall Fashion Week insiders to view her new line of “Java Jewelry.” During the launch party, however, Blend barista Tucker Burton unwittingly serves a poisoned latte to one of Lottie’s guests. Chaos ensues as paramedics rush in, and the police arrest Tucker.
Clare is certain her barista is innocent, and she suspects the real target may have been Lottie herself. Now Clare must protect her thriving business from negative publicity, Lottie from any further danger, and Tucker from murder charges—even if it means jolting the fashion world with some shocking secrets.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0425204456, Mass Market Paperback)

Book #3 in New York Times bestselling author Cleo Coyle's Coffeehouse Mystery series...When one of her baristas unwittingly serves a poisonous latte to a prominent figure on the fashion scene, Clare Cosi must uncover some jolting secrets to save her shop.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:06 -0400)

To Clare Cosi's surprise, this fall's hottest fashion trend is anything caffeinated--because designer Lottie Harmon, a loyal coffeehouse customer, has just created an ingenious collection of coffee-inspired fashion accessories. So naturally Lottie chooses the Village Blend as the perfect backdrop for all Fashion Week insiders to view her new line of "Java Jewelry." When basista Tucker unwittingly serves a poisonous latte to a prominent figure on the fashion scene, Clare suspects that the real target may have been Lottie. Now she must protect her thriving business from negative publicity, Lottie from any further danger, and Tucker from murder charges--even if it means jolting the fashion would with some shocking secrets.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,164,691 books! | Top bar: Always visible