Lavender Lies: A China Bayles Mystery by…

Lavender Lies: A China Bayles Mystery (edition 1999)

by Susan Wittig Albert (Author)

Member:MerryMary
Title:Lavender Lies: A China Bayles Mystery
Authors:Susan Wittig Albert (Author)
Info:Berkley Hardcover (1999), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 306 pages
Tags:mystery, herbs, Texas

Lavender Lies by Susan Wittig Albert

Recently added bysmbseb01, private library, lisan., VicBT, shadowelf76, booksniff, MareF, H.B.Oberman.Library

I have read all of the books in this series up through this one (book #8) and will continue to do so. I have really enjoyed all of them ( except one which I can't talk about because that would be a spoiler). China Bayles is the main character in all of the books. She's a former Houston lawyer who now lives in the fictional town of Pecan Springs which is in the Texas hill country. They are all murder mystery stories but not the gory, scary, hardcore stuff. There are reoccurring main characters who you will feel like you know as you read the books. It's small town Texas life and the stories are enjoyable, light reading. They were recommended to me and I will do the same to you. Read them in order so things will make sense :) ( )
  botkin05 | Dec 27, 2013 |
It was okay.
  ngelina | Sep 10, 2013 |
"Damn it. This is my wedding. Why can't the week be normal?"

After I discovered Thyme of Death, I went a little overboard and tried to get the whole China Bayles series - I ended up with one paperback and two audio downloads. This was the paperback... Eminently readable (this was one of 2 1/2 books I read on New Year's Eve, content on the chaise longue outside my uncle's caravan at Tuross), yet missing something in that fantastic idea collection of the first book.

So China Bayles has quit her toxic lawyering in Houston for Mean Nasty Companies and retired to a little place called Pecan Springs where she runs a herb shop and her shop-neighbour is a crazy new Age lady called Ruby, and they are about to open a joint tea room. Local real estate mogul found dead. Most residents think "Good riddance", but it transpires rather quickly that Mr. Coleman was having a number of affairs and was blackmailing city council members for their support on a dodgy land investment deal. And then a few more bodies pile up...Oh and China is planning her wedding (at last) to McQuaid, acting chief of police, so the case needs to be wrapped up by Saturday otherwise China's honeymoon is going to get derailed.

I love a single lady investigator, and I've raved about the first book in this series; something in this one left me underwhelmed. It might have been that there was too much side chatter and not enough actual case; Ruby seems to have got even more mad and tipped over into caricature territory, and Wittig Albert is a little heavy-handed with the emotional preaching (China fiiiiiiiiiiiiinally gets over her issues with her mother).

That all notwithstanding, there are any number of red herrings, I didn't guess the bad guy, China's life is quite amusing to read about, Ruby does provide a lot of amusement and China does a nifty amount of sleuthing in a rather clever manner.

It's a decent detective story, it's just not as good as the first one in the series was. ( )
  readingwithtea | Feb 17, 2013 |
In this installment of the series herbalist China Bayles and her soon to be husband have a week to solve the murder of local real estate shark Edgar Coleman or put their nuptials on hold. China's intended is the temporary police chief of their Pecan Springs town and he feels that he cannot leave for a honeymoon with an unsolved murder pending. China does some investigating of her own to help hurry things along. There are many suspects to sift through as Coleman had numerous affairs and blackmailed most of the members of the City Counsel.

Interspersed throughout the book are factoids on the lavender plant. I was not aware that there are thirty different varieties of the plant so these factoids were interesting to me. I found it a little unbelievable that China's fiance, McQuaid, would cancel his wedding because of an unsolved murder. However, the book was a page turner and the usual characters that I have come to love were present. It almost feels like a family reunion when a new book is published. Highly recommended. ( )
  Violette62 | Jun 8, 2012 |
At last, China and McQuaid get married, but not before having to solve a murder or two in the week leading up to the wedding. In fact, McQuaid doesn't want to leave until it's all tied up which is not making him the least bit popular on the home front. So China and Ruby decide to lend a helping hand.

The murder is solved a good chapter before the end of the book, the final chapter deals with the wedding which goes nothing like to plan, but is memorable. ( )
  reeread | Sep 26, 2009 |
To my daughter Robin, on her marriage: here's lavender for devotion, dear heart
"You're not practicing that hocus pocus on me," I said.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0425177009, Mass Market Paperback)

Texas herbalist China Bayles must put her upcoming nuptials on the back burner when a murder investigation entangles her friends and neighbors.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:01:29 -0400)

Sleuth and herbalist China Bayles of Pecan Springs, Texas, joins Mike McQuaid, the town's police chief to investigate the murder of a land developer. They have to hurry if they don't want the case to clash with their honeymoon. They are getting married.… (more)

Susan Wittig Albert is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,949,619 books! | Top bar: Always visible