Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Shame by Salman Rushdie

Shame (1983)

by Salman Rushdie

The House of the Spirits by Isabel Allende (CGlanovsky)
    CGlanovsky: Real-world political events thinly veiled in a magic realist style.

English (12)  Dutch (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (14)
Shame Salman Rushdie
★★★

This is the story of the son of 3 mothers and how he escapes from their oppressive regime into a country (not Pakistan) controlled by its own oppressive regime.

The Narrator who I assume is actually Rushdie is at pains from the outset to make the point that this story is a fable a fairytale and is not actually a story of a real place although its similarities to Pakistan cannot be avoided, he is also not omniscient as some instance he reveals he does not know what happens to a specific character.

With military coups and magical goings on it is a book that does not lack action, however I found the story to be hard going and had trouble keeping track of who the characters were and what their relation was to each other.

This lacked the magic of Midnights Children and the sheer weirdness of Grimus and is my least favourite Rushdie so far, I am sure if I knew more about the politics and history of Pakistan this novel would have had more impact as it is I feel I have missed a lot of subtle hints and satire.
  BookWormM | Jan 15, 2016 |
I really enjoyed his writing, but didn't just love the storyline. ( )
  The_reading_swimmer | Jun 21, 2015 |
My favorite of Rushdie's books. A colorful and hope filled story told as only Mr Rushdie can. ( )
  brokeaspoke | Dec 11, 2013 |
Shame is an undesired sperm that impregnates human psychic with acute guilt and discomfort to procreate a shameless fiend amid continual cerebral labor pains. Molded on a fictionalized caricature of Pakistan’s opinionated and influential communal strata it incubates the embryonic mesh of brutality resulting in social and personal turmoil.

Rushdie along with his emotive quandary constantly appears to be a lost child meandering on the South Asian political-cultural perimeter. With Satanic Verses and Midnight’s Children being his two precious manuscripts, Shame lingers on the threshold of allegorical restrains.

Oh! This book isn’t awful, if that’s what you are thinking. I presume I was more than a decade late in reading Rushdie’s Shame. The book would have appalled my wits then as an adolescent luxuriating in a cushy life. However as a seasoned 30-yr old parasite clinching on the edge of cynical propaganda it was more on the lines of serving a tepid cup of tea with maybe a dry toast.
  Praj05 | Apr 5, 2013 |
Shame is the third novel by Salman Rushdie. The narrator tells us novel is and is not about Pakistan. The main characters are Omar Khayyam Shakil (who represents shamelessness), Raza Hyder (read Zia-ul-Haq), his daughter Sufiya Zinobia (who represents shame), Iskander Harappa (read Zulfikar Ali Bhutto) and his daughter Arjumand Harappa, the virgin Ironpants (read Benazir Bhutto). Once again written in magical realism, the plot loosely follows events leading up to the reign of Bhutto and then the coup by Zia. A political novel, it sent me off to Wikipaedia to fill in my sorely-lacking background knowledge of these events in Pakistan. Not the epic length of Midnight’s children or of later novels, it is filled with satire, cynical intrigue and black comedy. Rushdie, as always, demonstrates his mastery of language and keeps the reader engaged to the last line. ( )
2 vote CloggieDownunder | Mar 16, 2012 |
". . . a lively, amusing and exasperating work . . . The false starts, loose ends and general extravagance of the tale can become irritating. . . . And yet the book in its own peculiar fashion works."

Rushdie, Salmanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Capriolo, EttoreTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Verheydt, J.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Sameen

In the remote border town of Q., which when seen from the air resembles nothing so much as an ill-proportioned dumb-bell, there once lived three lovely, and loving, sisters.
This LT work incorrectly uses a German ISBN of Rushdie's 2001 novel, Fury. Please do not combine it with Fury

The novel that set the stage for his modern classic, The Satanic Verses, Shame is Salman Rushdie’s phantasmagoric epic of an unnamed country that is “not quite Pakistan.” In this dazzling tale of an ongoing duel between the families of two men–one a celebrated wager of war, the other a debauched lover of pleasure–Rushdie brilliantly portrays a world caught between honor and humiliation–“shamelessness, shame: the roots of violence.” Shame is an astonishing story that grows more timely by the day.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:29 -0400)

Two families, one of a man who is a wager of war and the other of a man who is a lover of pleasure, engage in an ongoing battle in a country resembling Pakistan.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,475,423 books! | Top bar: Always visible