Wuthering High by Cara Lockwood

Wuthering High

by Cara Lockwood

I didn't know what to expect when I started to read this book. I didn't really like it all that much at the start. It kind of bored me, but then stuff started to happen and I read it in less that a day. It was good and enjoyable. Not my favourite book, but a good time passer.
  Shakina1996 | Jul 8, 2010 |
Reviewed by Jocelyn Pearce for TeensReadToo.com

WUTHERING HIGH is a novel by Cara Lockwood published by MTV Books, and I must say, the MTV Books are certainly much better than readers might expect from a name known mostly for reality television. In fact, these books are fabulous, no matter what you're expecting, and Cara Lockwood's story is no exception. In WUTHERING HIGH, Miranda Tate is a spoiled but still likeable character who, after a few mistakes involving her Dad's car and stepmother's credit card, is sent off to Bard Academy, a boarding school for misbehaving teenagers.

At Bard Academy, a few things happen that Miranda didn't exactly expect from what she thinks she knows about reform schools. She's having terrifying nightmares involving Kate Shaw, a girl who went missing from the school fifteen years earlier. When she tries to escape through the woods, she finds herself going in circles. One of her teachers, Ms. W., always leaves wet footprints. As if those little oddities aren't odd enough, there are some eerie coincidences concerning classics such as DRACULA, JANE EYRE, and WUTHERING HEIGHTS. For instance, there's Heathcliff, remarkably similar to the character in WUTHERING HEIGHTS, who seems to think that Miranda is really Cathy, another character from the novel. Something weird is most certainly going on, and Miranda and her new friends Hana, Samir, and Blade have to find out what it is--fast.

This is a book that is definitely worth reading! Ms. Lockwood's characters are interesting, well done, and realistic, and readers will be able to relate to Miranda's situations with her parents and friends (although perhaps not teachers). The character of Miranda also shows realistic character development instead of being the same slightly bratty fifteen-year-old throughout the book. Aside from her great characters, the story in WUTHERING HIGH is entertaining and original. It's better than just another overused idea with a few differences in details and characters. This novel is one that will keep readers hooked from the very first page to the end, and eagerly awaiting the next novel from Cara Lockwood about Bard Academy. ( )
  GeniusJen | Oct 13, 2009 |
When good girl Miranda decides to take a walk on the wild side by maxing out her step-mother's credit card and crashing her father's BMW, the results were more than she bargained for. A one way ticket to a reclusive boarding school for delinquents on an island off the coast of Maine.

What Miranda finds once she arrives at the eccentric academy is more than just strict rules and stricter teachers. She finds a micro-cosmos of weirdness with woods that lead you in circles and maybe even the ghost of a student who went missing living in her dorm room.

When I first started reading this book I wasn't quite sure how much I'd enjoy it. Our main protagonist seemed quite spoiled and whiney. However, in short order I began to sympathize with Miranda and I liked the way she adapted to the oddness of the school. It turned out she really wasn't all that prissy at all. Certainly this had a lot of good points along with a few not so good points. While the product placement and brand name drops seemed a little heavy handed, I think that this would be a good story to spark interest in classic literature (as it is a key point of the book). There was an underlying theme of the core values they like to preach in school although it is rather unusual in today's young adult writings. There were some parts where the first person POV seemed very awkward, especially in the first person present tense. I think that it could have used a little more work to smooth it out.

I wasn't sure how exactly to feel about the revelations closer to the end of the book as I'm always squeamish when they use real people in fictional settings. In the end I decided it was an interesting bent. Also, I certainly did enjoy Heathcliff as a character in this book.

Overall I found this to be a very enjoyable and quick read which I'd highly recommend to tweens and up. ( )
1 vote Jenson_AKA_DL | Jul 28, 2009 |
Recommended Ages: Gr. 9-12

Plot Summary: Miranda is sent to Bard Academy after crashing her father's car. While there, she faces mystery (lights turning on on their own, a wrist grabbing her arm when she reaches into a dresser, the dorm "mom" always seems to be dripping), self-evaluation (why does her father pay more attention to her step-mom?) and love (a hottie from her hometown who is there because he accidentally killed his girlfriend in a car accident). Thankfully, she is able to solve the mysteries with the help of her friends, she tries to pretend the lack of her father's attention doesn't affect her, and the boy likes her back.

Setting: Bard Academy, isolated island off the coast of Maine

Characters: Miranda
Hana - Miranda's new friend
Samir - Miranda's new friend (male)
Blade - Miranda's Wiccan roommate
Kate Shaw - old Bard student who was supposedly killed about 10 years earlier
Coach H - teacher (Ernest Hemingway)
Ms. W -
Headmaster B - Charlotte Bronte
Heathcliff - ghost? from Wuthering Heights who stalks/saves Miranda
Ryan Kent - guy from Miranda's high school, Miranda's new love interest
Parker - (female) bully
Emily - Emily Bronte (villian)
Dracula

Recurring Themes: ghosts, classic literature, divorce, typical female teenage issues (puberty, clothing, popularity, etc), friends, research at the library, Wicca

Controversial Issues: This book has it all: sex, drugs, alcohol, and Wicca. Many are repeated multiple times, and all are portrayed as "cool" and/or acceptable.

Personal Thoughts: I am not a fan of ghost stories, first off. They scare me and give me nightmares. Also, I was considering this book for my middle school while I was reading it, which influenced my opinion. This book seemed to lack good writing and character development. There were too many characters to keep track of. It is a fun, quick read for students who like ghost stories. ( )
  pigeonlover | Apr 29, 2009 |
For Ms. Miller, Mr. Logan, Prof. Barnard, and all English teachers everywhere
Okay, I confess.

When Miranda gets sent to a boarding school for problem teenagers, she notices that the students' lives start to mirror the classic novels they are reading.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,915,187 books! | Top bar: Always visible