Malice by Danielle Steel

Malice (1996)

by Danielle Steel

English (6)  Italian (1)  All languages (7)
Malice by Danielle Steel
This book is a bit difficult to read because of all the abuse. Her life is troubled when her mother forces her to have sex with her father.
After the mother dies she attacks him and ends up in prison. Love hearing of the charity work she does for others through the years and how
she is able to get over her past and have a love relationship with a special male.
Others do find out about her past ...
  jbarr5 | Nov 5, 2013 |
I could not put this book down! I was in live with it as son as I read the 1st page. Every time I turned a page there was another surprise! It was a page turner! ( )
  HaileyConley | Jul 2, 2013 |
Grace Adams is a woman with a past full of deep, dark, hurtful secrets. A stunning beauty, daughter of an influential lawyer, she has spent the last years nursing her dying mother through her final battle with cancer. On the night of her mother's funeral, she is brutally raped by her father and, after years of such repeated abuse, she snaps and kills him.

Only 17 years old, she faces the death penalty in a town that is only too willing to believe in and continually perpetrate the supposedly perfect reputation of her father, even if it means prison for Grace. After her release two years later, she tries to pick up the pieces of her life. Eventually, she falls in love with and marries Charles Mackenzie, an up-and-coming politician and they start a family together.

During an important campaign, a tabloid releases the sordid story of Grace's past as well as several explicit photos of Grace taken while she was drugged. This leaves their family reeling; with Charles's campaign in shambles and Grace's life crumbling around her. I really enjoyed this book. It was a departure from Danielle Steel's other work and I give it an A+! ( )
  moonshineandrosefire | Feb 16, 2012 |
Seventeen year old Grace Adams on the day of her mother's funeral is attacked, but this isn't the first time she's been attacked by this person, and her struggle leads to drastic measures that land her in jail. After her years spent in jail, she can not get away from the disturbing night of her mothers funeral, and the past struggles seem to follow her everywhere she goes. When the whole world seems against Grace she meets Charlie Mackenzie and live seems to take a turn for the better, but will her past destroy her future?

I really thought I was going to LOVE this book from Danielle Steel because from reading the synopsis it sounded completly different then the typical love stories that i have read by her. It seemed darker, more disturbing, and less focused on the aspect of love. As disturbing as this story was, i think it sensationalized all the struggles she went through. If it had focused on the main problem in the story i think it would have been portrayed in a better way. It got to a point where it seemed unbelievable that she was going through another problem. She couldn't even overcome one issue without another issue arising out of nowhere, and that for me made the story lose its impact. As im sure tragedy like this can occur, i just didn't feel the story was very believable.

The characters on the other hand i really enjoyed. Grace Adams was such a strong, compassionate and lovable character and you really felt her pain and empathized with her. I think she overcome some really tragic and tough obstacles, and it made me think of what i would have done in her shoes, and if i would have had the strength to overcome all that she did.

Overall, i think this book is worth checking out, it is different from any other Danielle Steel novel i've read, and while i couldn't put it down because i wanted to know what happened to Grace, the story just overwhelmed me with tragedy overload. ( )
  LauraMoore | Jun 24, 2011 |
I loved this book a lot and I love Danielle Steele, however in this book, I was a little disappointed. I thought the book was culturally insensitive for example, black people were only placed in jail and another black person was a really bad guy. I did not see reason why Danielle Steee felt the need to be specific about race at scenes that were depicting bad people. She did not place black people anywhere other than jail and street. I thought that was very insensitive, but in general the book is a must read.
  mangalita | May 31, 2011 |
To my extraordinary, loving, and very remarkable children, Beatrix, Trevor, Todd, Nick, Samantha, Victoria, Vanessa, Maxx, and Zara. You make my life worth living, you are all that has made my life worthwhile. You are my life and my heart. With all my thanks and love, and apologies for the pain I may have brought you with this wicked thing called "fame." I love you so very, very much.
The sounds of the organ music drifted up to the Wedgwood blue sky.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0440223237, Paperback)

Only veteran author Danielle Steel can make dysfunction this fashionable! In Malice, her 37th potboiler, the gloves come off. Life is no fairy tale for teenager Grace Adams. The preternaturally quiet and dowdy daughter of Watseka's favorite son, lawyer John Adams, and his lovely, cancer-stricken wife Ellen, Grace has an ugly little secret that she's kept for four years. When her father brutally rapes her following her mother's funeral, Grace kills him. Only 17 years old, she faces the death penalty in a town all too willing to perpetrate the fiction of John Adams, even when it means prison for Grace. Upon release two years later, Grace heads for Chicago where life starts looking up when she finds a job as a receptionist in a downtown modeling agency. Unfortunately, Grace encounters an unscrupulous photographer and a slimy parole officer. As soon as her parole is over, Grace escapes again, running to New York City to disappear among the hordes. Working as a secretary in a law firm, she's asked to work for a partner. After a rocky start, Charles Mackenzie and Grace establish a comfortable routine. But when Grace is brutally beaten by the husband of a woman in the crisis center where she volunteers, Charles is at her side constantly, arranging for the finest medical care and talking her out of her coma. Love blooms as Grace slowly recuperates. Finally whole again, inside and out, Grace and Charles marry and start a family. Life couldn't get much better as Charles enters politics and Grace tends to their growing family. But when tabloids release the story of Grace's sordid past and explicit photos of Grace taken while she was drugged, their family is left reeling, with Charles's campaign in shambles and Grace's life crumbling around her. Danielle Steel doesn't even pretend that Malice is a piece of romantic fiction, but loyal fans will happily make the transition as she charts a new course! --Alison Trinkle

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:01:04 -0400)

The tale of a woman who attracts sexual abuse. She is Grace Adams and the story begins as she kills her abusive father. In jail she undergoes abuse, out of jail she undergoes abuse, only when she finds a man and love does it end.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,624,582 books! | Top bar: Always visible