The Detachment by Barry Eisler

The Detachment (edition 2011)

by Barry Eisler

Collections:Audiobooks
Rating:*****
Tags:audiobook, crime, 12 in 12

The Detachment by Barry Eisler

I have to admit that this was my first Barry Eisler book. Sure, I've read plenty of his comments about writing, e-books, the rise of the independent authors, his love of internet memes; but this was the first time I've been able to grab one of his books to read.

Before I comment on the book itself, I just wanted to say that this was a library book that I borrowed. Yes this point is significant. With the current turmoil over Amazon becoming a publisher there was a lot of talk about boycotting and limiting access of Amazon published books in bookstores and libraries. Clearly there wasn't much substance to that particular stance, since this Thomas and Mercer published book was right there on the library shelf for me to read.

Did I enjoy this book? Yes. Would I read another of Barry's thrillers? Yes. Then why only three stars? Well, simply put, the book was solid but not spectacular. It kept me entertained, but didn't keep me glued the way 4 and 5 star books do. This was more to do with the second half of the book and what felt like a petering out of tension.

Either way, I look forward to reading some of the earlier books in the Rain series. ( )
  TysonAdams | Jun 20, 2017 |
This is a very well written book, with a very good plot, excellent character development and a readability factor which altogether results in a book that is difficult to put down. ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
summer-2013, tbr-busting-2013, fraudio, series, japan, spies, tokyo, published-2011, testost-tosh, adventure
Read from August 25 to 28, 2013

Read by author and he is easy on the ears as well as being easy on the eye.

Not having read the Treven/Larison teamed-up series to flesh out their back-history and quirks, I didn't initially warm to their inclusion, yet the Rain/Dox duo carried me over and this settled down into an exciting testosterone adventure.

That said, I'm pretty much over and done with Eisler's oeuvre.

3* A Clean Kill in Tokyo (John Rain, #1)
3* A Lonely Resurrection (John Rain, #2)
3* Winner Take All (John Rain, #3)
3* Redemption Games (John Rain, #4)
3* Extremis (John Rain, #5)
3* The Killer Ascendant(John Rain, #6)
3* The Detachment (John Rain, #7)
2* Paris Is A Bitch ( )
  mimal | Aug 28, 2013 |
v ery much enjoy these books. wish barry eisler could write one a week!!!!!! ( )
  magentaflake | Jan 14, 2013 |
I didn't want to put it down. I think it's the best of the Rain series (and that's saying a lot since I thoroughly enjoyed the entire series). The story stands alone so you don't have to read the rest to get this one. I understand that one of the main characters in this book (Treven) is a recurring character in another of Eisler's series - one which I'm going to pick up now, even though Rain and Dox are still my favorites.)

It has a much different flavor than the other books in the series in that there is a huge political "conspiracy" here which is the premise of the story. It's a convoluted and complicated plot, but you don't get lost en route, so the complexity is actually rather refreshing and enjoyable (and is why I didn't want to put it down).

If you have a problem with conspiracies that suggest the US government and the 'elite rich' have ulterior motives in the 'war on terror', you might be one of those readers who gave this book a low star rating. If you believe that the assassination of JFK was an inside job, you probably are one of those who give this book a high rating.

The plot is tight, the action is non-stop, the violence is detailed, and the characters are distinct and fully-fleshed and believable. All in all, it's exactly what I was looking for in a novel with an assassin as the main character. (If you like books with these kind of characters - you could also try Block's Keller series.) ( )
1 vote crazybatcow | Nov 5, 2012 |

John Rain is back. And the assassin is up against his most formidable enemy yet: the nexus of political, military, media, and corporate factions known only as the Oligarchy.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,083,137 books! | Top bar: Always visible