Life Below Stairs: True Lives of Edwardian…

Life Below Stairs: True Lives of Edwardian Servants (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Alison Maloney

Member:Teazle
Title:Life Below Stairs: True Lives of Edwardian Servants
Authors:Alison Maloney
Info:Michael O'Mara Books (2011), Hardcover, 192 pages
Tags:read 2012

Life Below Stairs: True Lives of Edwardian Servants by Alison Maloney (2011)

Below Stairs was better, although this did have some interesting historical details about wages and whatnot. ( )
  cookierooks | Nov 16, 2016 |
For fans of Upstairs, Downstairs & Downtown Abbey (ME!), comes Life Below Stairs. It's a fabulous, fascinating look at the true lives of servants who served the rich and fabulously wealthy.

It's definitely written towards fans of the two mentioned series - it's a rather light look, doesn't get into a lot of details, and doesn't hit upon any of the negative aspects of being a servant - like 80 hour work weeks for no pay or sleep or freedom. Anyone who really knows the time period well, or the history of servants, will find this book too light to really enjoy, but for someone like me who was introduced to the time period through Downtown Abbey, it was a great read, though I really do wish there was MORE as the volume is pretty small.

The photographs and letters were a nice touch. ( )
  anastaciaknits | Oct 29, 2016 |
Life Below Stairs: True Lives of Edwardian Servants by Alison Maloney
192 pages

This sounded like such a fascinating book to me when I checked it out at the library, at least for a history geek like myself. But I was highly disappointed. It reads so much like a text book, a poorly formatted one at that. Everything is put into subcategories such as “How a butler dresses”, “How a house maid dresses” “Hiring of servants”, etc…some being only a paragraph or so and it just ended up feeling repetitive. There is some good information within but the writing lacked any personality and came off as quite dry. Some good pictures as well but not enough to save this book. She uses long quotes and paraphrasing from other history and memoir books (where is seems she mostly copied her info from) that seemed way more interesting so I may give one of those a try. An okay book for quick information but there are definitely better reads with better information in them.

UberButter | Feb 9, 2016 |
This was interesting information and something I wasn't very familiar with. But the format of the book was much like a juvenile text book with lots of subtitles that are almost exactly repeated as the topic sentence of the section. Nonetheless, I enjoyed the read, especially some of the included adverts from the period as well as recipes. ( )
  Jen.ODriscoll.Lemon | Jan 23, 2016 |
  Jen.ODriscoll.Lemon | Jan 23, 2016 |

Alison Maloneyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Empringham, JamesCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In loving memory of my grandparents, Jean and Sandy Cook and Jim and Dorothy Tripp. With love and thanks to Sally and Gill.
In the twenty-first century, domestic service is the domain of the few butlers, housekeepers and nannies who keep the richest homes in the country ticking over and usually command a high wage. - Introduction
During the class-ridden Victorian era, the social divide between rich and poor had become a chasm. - Chapter 1

Television shows such as Downton Abbey and Upstairs, Downstairs have captivated millions with the inside story of aristocratic Edwardian households. But what was life really like for the people who kept such a household running? Maloney takes readers behind the scenes to describe servants' daily life in this now vanished world.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,747,154 books! | Top bar: Always visible