Bewitching by Alex Flinn

Bewitching

by Alex Flinn

Friday the thirteenth!
kaykay, so I just finished Bewitching by Alex Flinn, and may I say, EXCELLENT. As far as modern fairy-tales go, Alex Flinn is my go-to author. Beastly, anyone? A Kiss in Time? unfortuanely, I have no reviws for those books because i read them last year and i didn't review much last year. :( I know, such a shame.
So, going into this story, after part 1, it's pretty obvious this is a quasi-cinderella story. but it's really hard figuring out who is who. Is Emma the evil stepsister or is Lisette? it's told from Emma's perspective, so you'd think, "Duh, Lisette," but it's hard to tell, especially as the story goes on.
I really like how the fairy-tale beauty paradigm is questioned. the paradigm in question being, if someone is beautiful, they must be good. I agree with Emma, it's often the beautiful people picking on and being all-around jerks to the ugly people.
also, I like how this story makes it clear, the difference between FIRST love and TRUE love. they're not one in the same. yet, often, in fairytales, the princess falls in love once, for the first time, and that's the TRUE love. Or sometimes, even (in Snow White) they don't even fall in love, a hot guy just comes along, sees her, goes "Ooh, hot chick," kisses her and they get married happily-fricking-ever-after.
Yeah, I'm a bit of a cynic when it comes to fairy tales. which is probably why I enjoyed this story so much. ( )
  Monica_P | Nov 22, 2018 |
I've read all of Alex Flinn's fairytale retellings, and this is by far the best. I could barely put it down, and I was actually surprised by the ending. That almost never happens because many books are really predictable, even the good ones. I didn't figure out who was Cinderella until around the middle of the book, and the ending took a twist I could never have seen coming. Flinn set it up so that everyone thought it would end like it does in so many other books, but then it was BAM! And to put in perspective how astonishing this was, picture those things where you put a coin in this side ramp and it goes down and spins around until dropping into the hole in the center. Imagine that you are the coin. You think that you're going to be dropped straight down the hole, but instead you go to Swirly Land. I wished it was more about Kendra, though. That's what the summary makes it seem like, but in reality it starts off with talking about Kendra's past, then becomes Emma's narrative interspersed with notes from Kendra. Moving on to Lisette: I hate extremely evil characters that were designed to make the reader hate them, because they do all this horrible stuff and I just want to go into the book and slap them. But all I can do is read about their evil deeds and get angrier and angrier with them. Back to the awesomeness of the book: There's going to be a whole series! YES!!!

"/> ( )
  captainbooknerd | Jan 11, 2018 |
I will never look at the tale of Cinderella the same way again. This book has ruined it for me—in a harsh, intense, amazingly wonderful way. ( )
  KendraJ. | Dec 29, 2016 |
This book was not all what I expected..and in a very good way! I was completely surprised by this book.

I don't even want to ruin this book for anyone who hasn't read it, writing a long drawn out review. So let me just say this: if your a Alex Finn fan, if you love stories full of romance, sibling rivalry, family drama, magic, friendship, heartache and triumph then this book is definitely for you!

I absolutely love love loved it! ( )
  alliecollins8488 | Oct 8, 2016 |
I really liked this book. I wasn't sure at first if I would because it keeps switching between stories, but I found that it was very intriguing that way. Emma and Lissette's story had me fuming at times, so I kept wanting to get back to that and see what happened. However, all the misguided fairy tales in Kendra's past were equally entertaining and humorous. I recommend this book to anyone who's read or seen Beastly, as well as anyone who enjoys fairy tale retellings, or witches. ( )
  MynTop | Apr 8, 2016 |

Tells the story of Kendra, a witch, and the first three-hundred years of her life, including takes on a classic fairy tale, the 1666 plague in Britain, the Titanic disaster, and the story of a modern-day, plain stepsister.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,390,051 books! | Top bar: Always visible