Starting Over by Marcia Willett

Starting Over

by Marcia Willett

The quote on the front cover sort of tipped me off that I wasn't going to enjoy this book too much=="For Rosamunde Pilcher fans" it said. I'm not a big fan of the romance genre and I know that's the type of book Rosamunde Pilcher writes.

Having said that, the fact that it is set in England on Dartmoor makes it a little better than the usual romance novel. I really enjoyed the description of the different seasons on the moor. It's a place I can imagine enjoying myself.

I also liked Perry, one of the character's dead husband, who continues to act as a source of support and advice for her. I do hope that we can communicate with our loved ones when they "shuffle off this mortal coil".

I loathed Pippa's husband, Robert, which was just what I was supposed to do so the story worked from that point of view. So glad he got his comeuppance at the end.

One final quibble: I don't think I've ever read a book that used the word "whilst" so often, sometimes even twice on the same page. Whilst is a perfectly acceptable word but there must be other synonyms for describing actions that are going on at the same time. Someone dropped the ball at the editing stage, I say. ( )
  gypsysmom | Aug 25, 2017 |
3.5 stars ( )
  Andrew-theQM | Jun 20, 2016 |
A book following the lives of those introduced in 'Those who serve', taking place about a year after the events at the end of that book.

Several sub-plots intertwine: an unhappy marriage, guilt over a death, worries about unfaithfulness. The characters are all cleverly woven together with some enjoyable sub-plots, and the conclusion is satisfying.

While it stands alone, it's probably best to read after 'Those who serve' to understand better who is whom.
  SueinCyprus | Jan 26, 2016 |

When recently-widowed Annie's god-daughter Pippa is abandoned by her husband, she insists that she comes to live with her. Frances and Stephen Ankerton are desperately worried about their son, Hugh, who wrongly blames himself for a fatal accident that took place nearly a year ago. While Frances turns to Annie for advice, Stephen finds a way to set Hugh's mind at rest...When Max Driver inherits some land on Dartmoor his dream becomes a reality. And a chance encounter with Frances leads to each and every one of them being touched by his warmth and enthusiasm. Soon he is an integral part of their lives and his determination to fulfil his own goal inspires the others to start over again.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:59 -0400)

The only thing to do with love is give it away...Although Perry is no longer with her, Annie is determined to follow his advice, particularly when his god-daughter Pippa comes to stay. Hugh Ankerton blames himself for a fatal accident that took place a year ago. But it was not his fault, and his mother Frances turns to Annie for advice, while his father finds a way to set Hugh's mind at rest. When Max Driver inherits some land on Dartmoor his dream becomes reality. And a chance encounter with Frances leads to each of them finding the courage to start again.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,430,324 books! | Top bar: Always visible