The Stone Lamp: Eight Stories of Hanukkah…

The Stone Lamp: Eight Stories of Hanukkah Through History

by Karen Hesse

Other authors: Brian Pinkney

The author chronologically recounts 8 significant historical events in Jewish history, and pairs each one with a free-verse poem, written from the perspective of a Jewish child living through the event. The lighting of a stone lamp is a part of each poem, which creates a lovely unity within the book. The eight events included are, The Crusades, The Burning of the Books, The Inquisition, The False Messiah, The Pogroms, Kristallnacht, Exodus 1947, and the Assassination of Yitzhak Rabin.
  joycecafe | Aug 12, 2014 |
Summary: This book is about the Jewish tradition of Hanukkah. This book features eight children that share their different and unique perspectives concerning the past stages of Hanukkah. This book is a great example of Historic Realism because the children do not exist, but the events discussed about really took place.

Personal Reaction: I was not very interested in this book, because I am not Jewish. This book provided much insight and information on Hanukkah and the Jewish religion and would be a great read for someone that was interested in the topic.

Classroom Extensions: 1) I would give each child the opportunity to come to the front of the class and explain how they and their family celebrate the Christmas Holidays. 2) I would use this book as a teaching tool to explain to the children that we should respect one another's beliefs even if we do not believe as they do. ( )
  SmithAlec | Jul 11, 2014 |
Summary: The book discusses the past and informs kids how one family celebrates Hanukkah.
Personal Reaction: The book was very informative and was very colorful. I enjoyed this book because I have been told that I am a little Jewish but we don't celebrate Hanukkah but I learned about it through this book. Even though the family had lost a lot they still had there faith and were grateful for what they did have.

Classroom Extensions:
-The students could make a star.
-The teacher could use this as a way to make a history lesson.
-This could be taught to learn about the Holocaust.
  ChelseyPowers | Mar 26, 2014 |
Summary: This poem is about the tales of eight children who went through different stages of Jewish history at Hanukkah. Each historical event really happened, but the voices of the children are imagined.

Personal Reaction: I wasn't fully interested in this book because I am not familiar with the celebration of Hanukkah, so I didn't really care about the history. But the poems of the children made me realize how important the history was to them.

Classroom Extensions: 1. I could explain and elaborate on how the present day Hanukkah is celebrate for kids who do not know.
2. We would go over why our history is so important to us by using examples. ( )
  KendraGayle | Mar 25, 2014 |
Narrative poems about times of crisis in Jewish history. Striking illustrations and very discussable! ( )
  STBA | Nov 17, 2009 |

Karen Hesseprimary authorall editionscalculated
Pinkney, Briansecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

The story of Hanukkah is the story of triumph of light over darkness, of the small miracles that give hope to an entire people. In a series of eight powerful and evocative free-verse poems, award-winning author Karen Hesse captures the resilient spirit of the Jewish people through the voices of eight children at Hanukkah. The children-from Tamara in 12th-century England and Jeremie in 13th-century France to Havva in 17th-century Turkey and Ori in 20th-century Israel-have all experienced loss and hardship. But they are united by love, family, and their cherished stone lamp. The stone lamp provides each with comfort and hope, for every time its wicks are lit, the endurance of the Jewish people is re-illumined.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:33 -0400)

A collection of eight poems, each taking place on a different night of Hanukkah and following the history of Jews from twelfth-century England to twentieth-century Israel.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,332,184 books! | Top bar: Always visible