No Greater Love by Danielle Steel

No Greater Love (1991)

by Danielle Steel

English (2)  Italian (1)  All languages (3)
My first...and last....Danielle Steel. She may have sold millions of copies around the world, but if this story represents the best of her works I cannot bring myself to open another cover. Fortunately, this copy was given to me by a friend.
The story dragged on and on and on with run on sentences using ands and buts frequently to tell us the same things repeatedly and over and over. (I hope that sentence is taken as an example of the book, not my own style!). The characters were poorly developed cardboard cut-outs except the main character who was rather insipid. The novel was full of exposition occasionally punctuated by a bit of dialogue or action, but only sparingly. Overall, a dry read for me. ( )
  adoreabull | Oct 16, 2009 |
Took me awhile to finish this book, it was a buddy read with a friend that I should have finished a couple of months ago ... It was a good story, but I found it to be a bit dragged out and yet a lot of the story was still left untold. ( )
  DreamingInFiction | Apr 15, 2007 |
To Beatrix sweet, Special girl, you fill me with joy and love and admiration. Brave girl, may your life be ever easy, on calm seas, with kind people, gentle breezes, sunny days and if a storm should ever come one day, remember how much we love you.

And to John, for whom there never was, never will be, never could be.... a greater love then mine for you. No greater love, and all my heart and life, forever.
10 April 1912

The only sound in the Dining Room was the ticking of the large, ornate clock on the mantelpiece, and the occasional muffled rustling of a heavy linen napkin.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0440213282, Paperback)

While hearts may go on after a tragedy occurs, they are never the same. Prolific bestselling author Danielle Steel revisits this familiar theme in No Greater Love. Twenty-year-old Edwina Winfield is forced to assume the role of head of the household, becoming both mother and father to her five younger siblings after her parents and beloved fiancé drown during the disastrous sinking of the Titanic. Determined never to marry, Edwina must also run the family newspaper until her younger brothers are old enough to step in. But next-in-line Phillip heads first to Harvard and then is tragically killed during World War I. Fun-loving George is wooed by the lights of Hollywood and exquisite sister Alexis follows in his footsteps. While tending to the youngest children, Fannie and Teddy, Edwina must assist the rest of her siblings out of their many scrapes and escapades. Along the way, she comes to terms with her loss and is finally able to put the events of the fateful night of April 15, 1912, the night the Titanic made its final voyage to the bottom of the sea, behind her and let love into her heart once more. --Alison Trinkle

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:39:43 -0400)

Twenty-year-old Edwina Winfield is forced to assume the role of head of the household, becoming both mother and father to her five younger siblings after her parents and beloved fianc drown during the disastrous sinking of the Titanic.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,495,249 books! | Top bar: Always visible