The Book of Blood and Shadow by Robin…

The Book of Blood and Shadow (edition 2012)

by Robin Wasserman

Member:ReadingVirgo
Title:The Book of Blood and Shadow
Authors:Robin Wasserman
Info:Knopf Books for Young Readers (2012), Hardcover, 448 pages
Collections:Nook
Tags:nook

The Book of Blood and Shadow by Robin Wasserman

**spoiler alert** This book has the best first chapter, hell the best fist line, that I have ever read. Out of all (and there have been way too many to count) the books in my life. This is on my top 10 favorite book read in the past 5 years.

Here is Chapter One (it is short and sweet):

I should probably start with the blood.

If it bleeds it leads and all that, right? It’s all anyone ever wants to know about, anyway. What did it look like? What did it feel like? Why was it all over my hands? And the mystery blood, all those unaccounted-for antibodies, those faceless corkscrews of DNA— who left them behind?

But beginning with that night, with the blood, means that Chris will never be anything more than a corpse, bleeding out all over his mother’s travertine marble, Adriane nothing but a dead-eyed head case, rocking and moaning, her clothes soaked in his blood, her face paper white with that slash of red razored into her cheek. If I started there, Max would be nothing but a void. Null space; vacuum and wind.

Maybe that part would be right.

But not the rest of it. Because that wasn’t the beginning, any more than it was the end. It was— note the brilliant deductive reasoning at work here— the middle. The center of gravity around which we all spiraled, but none of us could see. The center cannot hold, Max liked to say, back when things were new and quoting poetry seemed a suitably ironic way to declare our love. Things fall apart.

But things don’t just fall apart. People break them. ( )
  magelet87 | Jan 18, 2017 |
Guys this book. Really guys. This book wins all the awards for it’s title, first off. Then it went ahead and began with a quote from Dr. Faustus and The Tempest (and to show how much I love those plays, the man who can quote those two plays to me I’ll just marry on the spot, let’s be real here). It began with two quotes from those plays (and quoted Faustus again later on). If it hadn’t already won me over there, the beginning did for sure. I really like when books begin in media res even though it’s a spoiler right off, I like when books plunge you immediately into the action and then take the time to build up the rest of the story. This definitely did that.
I have a lot of feelings about this book and it’s difficult to put them all down in words, I don’t even know. I read somewhere that this was a YA Da Vinci Code, but I’ve never read that book so I wouldn’t really know. This book was intense, and I loved it a lot, but I can also see how a lot of people would struggle with it. It just hit a lot of my favourite things so I guess there’s the grain of salt you take my review with, this book is not gonna be for everyone because of the pacing, the plot (which bordered on a bit convoluted every so often) and what was done with the romance of the novel. For me though, oh man I adore it and it was brilliant.
Norah is a high school senior who, for extra credit, is spending her time in a dusty basement helping her best friend, Chris, and his roommate, Max, as they translate ancient letters for a crazy old professor. She spends her time translating letters from a young girl who is in the middle of her dead father’s legacy, the Lumen Dei - which was supposedly an ancient machine that would be a link to God and man - it would show man the mind of God.
Things spiral wildly out of control, leaving her best friend dead, and her boyfriend accused of murder, thus sending her to Prague and the middle of an ancient war that’s been going on for the Lumen Dei for centuries.
Norah is a Latin whizz due to her father being a Latin professor (I appreciate when the quirk the main character has actually has basis and reason behind it), she has emotional issues due to an accident that killed her brother, and she frequently feels like a third wheel with her best friends even though she doesn’t really let them know that.
I just really loved a lot of what happened in this book. The basis of the book was basically parallel narratives with Norah and Elizabeth - the writer of the ancient letters - and I’m a sucker for parallel narratives. It deals a lot with betrayal and dealing with loss and death and it was just a lot of things that I love in a story. Was the plot a bit convoluted with the Lumen Dei and what not? Well, yes, but it actually ended up making sense in the end and being explained better than I thought it was going to be (when the writer pulls the ‘it’s alchemy’ card, it can get really sketchy. And this was actually reasoned out in a way that satisfied me). The only thing I had an issue with was the character Adrianne and what happened with her. I felt like she had little point in the story and I guess I just didn’t understand why the drama with her was totally necessary… It wasn’t enough to dampen my love of this book though. It really was excellent. It was dramatic and tense and it was just a really good story. It was intelligent and I loved the narration a lot. I loved the set up and it was a first person style that I really liked a lot. It’s one of those books that I just need to read again to catch up with all the things that the narration was doing even at the beginning of the book. ( )
  glitzandshadows | Oct 12, 2015 |
An adult reading The Book of Blood and Shadow must suspend disbelief. This is not due to any one particular element of the story but rather to a collection of issues. For one, there is the idea of a group of teenagers roaming around Europe by themselves. This is and of itself not a big deal because teenagers backpack through Europe all the time. However, it is the furtive escape from Paris and the school chaperones that becomes bothersome when seen in the context of the rest of the novel. Combined with this escape is the fact that Nora seems to be the only person capable of solving the centuries-long mystery. She alone knows Latin well enough to be able to translate key documents accurately and quickly. She is the only one to obtain access to these documents. She understands the mindset of the person who penned the documents and is the sole person who can interpret the meaning of the cryptic statements within each manuscript. That is a lot of pressure for one lone teenage girl.

Then there is the issue of Nora’s lack of ability in other key areas. She speaks and reads Latin fluently, but she cannot pick up one iota of French or the Czech language. She can interpret the most obscure of historical documents but cannot read people. Her skill set does not make sense. She’s intuitive but only with documents written by people who died hundreds of years ago. She has a strong sense of survival but cannot pick up on the body language clues of others. She is quick to grasp a dead language but cannot understand a modern one that is based on that dead language. It is as if Ms. Wasserman selected key traits for their convenience to the story without any basis in reality.

Lastly, there is the group of acquaintances that just so happen to have the skills she lacks that allow her to finish her quest and solve the riddle. There is the mysterious man with money and a fluency in multiple languages. There is the best friend with the guile necessary to encourage Nora to escape the school trip and travel across Europe. There is even the love interest which provides the impetus for the entire journey. They all prove useful for what Nora needs at any given time, and that also rings false for readers. The entire story is one in which every single action Nora takes is just a bit too good to be true.

While the story lacks in character development and realism, it does try to amend those deficiencies with the action and suspense. In fact, a lot happens in a relatively short period of time. This is both good and bad. On the one hand, see above for the whole suspension of disbelief argument. On the other hand, it means a story that is fast-paced and therefore quick to read. Nora finds herself in many dangerous situations and at the wrong end of a weapon more than once. These bursts of excitement help offset the drudgery established by some of the other issues.

Younger readers may have a much easier time accepting all that Nora accomplishes practically single-handedly, and this is okay. It is a novel geared towards young adults after all. However, The Book of Blood and Shadow does not have that cross-generational appeal of other young adult novels in recent years. There are just one too many problems with the characters and the story for adults to be able to escape into its pages and enjoy the novel for the roller coaster ride it is meant to be.
  jmchshannon | Aug 6, 2015 |
This is a mystery that starts with a group of students working with their slightly dotty prof on solving the Voynich manuscript (a real unsolved puzzle) and rapidly becomes a thriller somewhat like the Da Vinci Code: threading ancient mysteries through a present that's suddenly got them all coming to the head. It's a very cool blend of researched work and fast-paced fiction, and while it wasn't at all what I'd expected, I enjoyed it nonetheless.
  terriko | Jan 7, 2014 |
I'm going to have to put this on my DNF shelf because, although I thoroughly enjoyed the writing style, it simply isn't my kind of story. I will say that this author has such a unique way of phrasing, simple sentencing yet so beautifully stated that her writing kept me reading on long after I became disinterested in the plot and characters. I would definitely read another book or series by this author.
  a.happy.booker | Sep 24, 2013 |
All things that move between the quiet poles
Shall be at my command.  Emperors and kings
Are but obey'd in their several provinces,
Nor can they raise the wind, or rend the clouds;
But his dominion that exceeds in this
Stretcheth as far as doth the mind of man!
A sound magician is a mighty god.

The Tragical History of Doctor Faustus
Christopher Marlowe
For Susan Curry, and a lost language
I should probably start with the blood.

It was like a nightmare, but there was no waking up.  When the night began, Nora had two best friends and an embarrassingly storybook one true love.  When it ended, she had nothing but blood on her hands and an echoing scream that stopped only when the tranquilizers pierced her veins and left her in the merciful dark.

But the next morning, it was all still true: Chris was dead.  His girlfriend Adriane, Nora's best friend, was catatonic. And Max, Nora's sweet, smart, soft-spoken Prince Charming, was gone. He was also—according to the police, according to her parents, according to everyone—a murderer.

Desperate to prove his innocence, Nora follows the trail of blood, no matter where it leads. It ultimately brings her to the ancient streets of Prague, where she is drawn into a dark web of secret societies and shadowy conspirators, all driven by a mad desire to possess something that might not even exist. For buried in a centuries-old manuscript is the secret to ultimate knowledge and communion with the divine; it is said that he who controls the Lumen Dei controls the world. Unbeknownst to her, Nora now holds the crucial key to unlocking its secrets. Her night of blood is just one piece in a puzzle that spans continents and centuries. Solving it may be the only way she can save her own life.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:52 -0400)

While working on a project translating letters from sixteenth-century Prague, high school senior Nora Kane discovers her best friend murdered with her boyfriend the apparent killer and is caught up in a dangerous web of secret societies and shadowy conspirators, all searching for a mysterious ancient device purported to allow direct communication with God.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,512,834 books! | Top bar: Always visible