Red Kayak by Priscilla Cummings

Red Kayak

by Priscilla Cummings

Kayak Combat (Lorimer Sports Stories) by Eric Howling (Joles)
    Joles: Both stories deal with a coming-of-age story involving a kayak. In Kayak Combat, our main character races kayaks; in Red Kayak, our main character is familiar with the water and his neighbors kayak. Both stories have a survival element in them.
    Touch Blue by Cynthia Lord (meggyweg)

This book would be great to read with middle school students to discuss doing what's right, even though it is difficult; telling the truth and consequences for actions. It pulled me in from the beginning with the tragedy in the first few chapters. I had to know more. Priscilla Cummings surprised me with the depth of the characters and their change over the course of the story. ( )
  Chafkins | Oct 28, 2016 |
I liked this book for two reasons. First, the language is descriptive and detailed. Because the characters are from a rural area, the author wanted to demonstrate their southern accents and poor upbringing. Her word choice through the character's words helps to create the rural area in the audience's mind and understand the background that each character comes from. For example, Digger, one of the main characters, has never excelled at school and has a difficult home life. The author shows Digger's aggressive demeanor by having Digger say, "Yeah, like a baby's ass" (p. 7). This disrespectful language helps the audience understand that Digger does not have boundaries, and the language helps to develop the characters throughout the story. I also like this book because it pushes the readers to think and broaden their perspectives. The big idea of this book is to always tell the truth, no matter how difficult it may be. Because there is peer pressure and the fear of getting in trouble, this makes the book more relatable. However, the audience is pushed to think from a different perspective as the book shows the perspectives of the ones who committed the crime and who was the victim of the crime. Because of this, the book pushes readers to broaden their perspectives and think about others rather than just themselves. ( )
  kaylafrey | Mar 21, 2016 |
Good YA stuff. I found myself caring what happened as it got near the end. An interesting study right and wrong and consequences of the decisions we make. ( )
  ndpmcIntosh | Mar 21, 2016 |
I liked this book for many reasons. The language is clear for readers and very descriptive. The writing does a great job of setting the scene for readers. It flows and is organized. The characters are well developed and the reader gets a clear picture of the who the main character, Brady is. While reading, it is clear to understand his emotions and his confusion at times during the book that he encounters. The book is written in 3rd person which helps reduce confusion amongst new readers. The plot of the novel is very engaging while being mysterious and suspenseful at many times. When the little boy, Ben, passes away, the readers are forced to think about death as a whole and how different people deal with the death. The main idea of the story is to be persistent. Brady did not like that he didn't get answers about the death of Ben, so he took matters into his own hands to determine the answers. ( )
  rbiegel | Mar 7, 2016 |
This is a book I have been wanting to read for a long time, but I kept forgetting to bring it home with me. Well, I finally remembered, and I’m glad I did! This book turned out to be as good as I had hoped.

Brady Parks is celebrated as a hero after the dramatic rescue of his young neighbor. But soon, a tragedy and a secret change everything. As Brady pieces things together, he realizes that he must make some tough decisions.

“…I knew that once I said something, I could never take it back. And that everything -- and everyone -- would be changed by it.”

This is a suspenseful story of deception and lies and deciding between what is easy and what your heart tells you is the right thing to do. ( )
  MrsBarbarino | Jan 24, 2016 |
After all this time, I still ask myself: Was it my fault? Maybe. Maybe not.

Brady loves life on the Chesapeake Bay with his friends J.T. and Digger. But developers and rich families are moving into the area, and while Brady befriends some of them, like the DiAngelos, his parents and friends are bitter about the changes. Tragedy strikes when the DiAngelos’ kayak overturns in the bay, and Brady wonders if it was more than an accident. Soon, Brady discovers the terrible truth behind the kayak’s sinking, and it will change the lives of those he loves forever. Priscilla Cummings deftly weaves a suspenseful tale of three teenagers caught in a wicked web of deception.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:29 -0400)

Living near the water on Maryland's Eastern Shore, thirteen-year-old Brady and his best friends J.T. and Digger become entangled in a tragedy which tests their friendship and their ideas about right and wrong.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,395,653 books! | Top bar: Always visible