Deadlocked: A True Blood Novel (Sookie…

Deadlocked: A True Blood Novel (Sookie Stackhouse 12) (edition 2012)

by Charlaine Harris

Member:dianestm
Title:Deadlocked: A True Blood Novel (Sookie Stackhouse 12)
Authors:Charlaine Harris
Info:Gollancz (2012), Paperback, 336 pages
Tags:2012, Vampires, Fiction

Deadlocked by Charlaine Harris

English (123)  French (1)  Piratical (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (126)
Deadlocked is the twelfth book in the Sookie Stackhouse series by Charlaine Harris.

The blurb explains pretty well what this book is about, I don't want to give too much away, for that reason I won’t add more to it.

We are coming to the end of this series and that was the feeling I had with Deadlocked. Many, many, many characters from previous books are present in this one, did I say many characters? Some are physically present, others are present through emails or phone calls but in a way or another we get to see where they are and what has happened with their lives. Sometimes the parade of characters was a bit overwhelming, if this wasn’t the second to last book I wouldn’t be as forgiving but I understand that Mrs. Harris wanted to tied as many small knots in this installment as possible. We see pregnancies, births, weddings, birthdays and more. Everybody is getting his or her HEA in a way or another, the only one left behind is Sookie.

Sookie is almost as the Sookie she was in first books, at any rate she has come a long way and has learned to do what ever she needs to survive. She is in love with Eric or at least it’s what she repeats time after time in every other page, but honestly it felt more as if she was trying to convince herself that she loves him, it didn’t feel as if she was really in love with him.

Eric is almost not present in this book; if you are Team Eric as I am you are going to be a little disappointed with his lack-of-page-time in this installment. Eric is dealing with the visit of Felipe de Castro and trying to break the contract his master signed with the Queen of Oklahoma at the same time he is expecting something from Sookie and here I have some problems with him and with Sookie, they are both expecting something from the other but they are not honest with each other. They can’t sit down and have the grown up talk they needed. They just keep things from each other, Eric to protect Sookie and Sookie because she is annoyed with Eric. More than once I wanted to slap her for not being forthcoming.

I have loathed Bill for quiet sometime but his actions in Deadlocked made me forgive his previous transgressions and even like him at little bit. Pam is the same snarky and loyal vampire we love. I can’t wait to see what Mrs. Harris has in store for her. Alcide is almost back to be the good “man” we first met, he has realized his mistakes and is trying to be a better man and a better alpha. Sam is still the same man with really bad taste in women and a good friend for Sookie. Something very big happened with him at the end, something that let me with a bad taste in my mouth, I can’t say more because I’m trying to keep this review as spoiler free as possible.

Deadlocked was a better book than last 2 or 3 books of this series but still it’s not as good as the first books were. The plot is a mix and match conflict between vampires, weres and fairies but at the end it works well. The mystery and who is behind it’s easy to guess but the why of the actions was somehow a puzzlement until the end.

As I said before many threads get tied up in this installment and at the same time we get the bases of what to expect in the next and final book of this series Dead Ever After release in May 16th 2013. And for what I see and what I suspect I don’t think I’m going to be a happy reader with the direction Mrs. Harris is going to end this series.
If you are a fan of this series this is a must read, if you haven’t read this series… In which planet do you live? I’m kidding (not). Despite the rocks on the road (previous two books) this series is a must read for all urban fantasy lovers. Sookie Stackhouse series has a special place in my heart and in my forever-bookshelf. ( )
  BookaholicCat | Mar 4, 2015 |
so good! :) ( )
  ohkamikaze | Feb 11, 2015 |
The first half of the book was frustrating. Only my enjoyment of the characters themselves kept me reading - not the plot itself. However, Charlaine Harris somewhat redeemed herself at the end with a very satisfactory conclusion. ( )
  VincentDarlage | Jan 30, 2015 |
I thoroughly enjoyed the latest entry in the Sookie Stackhouse series. This one sticks close to home, with Sookie & friends staying mainly around the Bon Temps area. Rather than a series of action packed events, this book focuses more on Sookie doing some soul searching. It also catches us up with several minor players in her life. I liked that this story was more character focused all around. Can't really get more into without spoilers, but definitely check it out if you follow the series! ( )
  Kelly_Mills | Dec 13, 2014 |
3.75 stars

Some higher-up vampires have come to Bon Temps to investigate a vampire death. While Eric is having a party to welcome them, someone else is murdered. Eric and Sookie are having relationship issues. Sookie has a magical item that multiple “people” (vamps, weres, fae) are all interested in getting their hands on.

Most of the book, I would rate good (3.5 stars), but I really liked the ending, so I've upped it just a touch beyond that. There is still lots of everyday stuff going on with Sookie and her friends, as well, and I like that about these books, too. You can see that she is starting to wrap up the series, and I am looking forward to the final installment. ( )
  LibraryCin | Oct 20, 2014 |

Charlaine Harrisprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Desimini, LisaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lagerman, JudithCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Parker, JohannaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Julia, this is for you.
I love you, honey.
It was hot as the six shades of Hell even this late in the evening, and I'd had a busy day at work.  The last thing I wanted to do was to sit in a crowded bar to watch my cousin get naked.
I'd had a very pleasant few hours all by myself. 'Pleasant' didn't mean a positive good to me anymore: It meant an absence of bad. I had done a little straightening in the kitchen, read a little, turned on the television just to have voices in the background. Nice. Not exciting. I'd had enough exciting. (chapter 6)

Felipe de Castro, the vampire King of Louisiana (and Arkansas and Nevada), is in town. It’s the worst possible time for a human body to show up in Eric Northman’s front yard—especially the body of a woman whose blood he just drank.

Now it’s up to Sookie and Bill, the official Area Five investigator, to solve the murder. Sookie thinks that, at least this time, the dead girl’s fate has nothing to do with her. But she is wrong. She has an enemy, one far more devious than she would ever suspect, who’s set out to make Sookie’s world come crashing down.

When telepathic waitress Sookie Stackhouse investigates the body of a woman discovered in vampire Eric Northman's yard, she has no idea the murderer is an enemy out to get her.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,164,013 books! | Top bar: Always visible