Deadlocked: A True Blood Novel (Sookie…

Deadlocked: A True Blood Novel (Sookie Stackhouse 12) (edition 2012)

by Charlaine Harris

1,415None5,471 (3.5)67
Member:dianestm
Title:Deadlocked: A True Blood Novel (Sookie Stackhouse 12)
Authors:Charlaine Harris
Info:Gollancz (2012), Paperback, 336 pages
Tags:2012, Vampires, Fiction

Deadlocked by Charlaine Harris

2012 (50) 2013 (11) audiobook (11) Charlaine Harris (9) ebook (19) faerie (9) fairies (32) fantasy (85) fiction (101) hardcover (10) horror (15) Kindle (16) library (8) Louisiana (24) mystery (46) paranormal (49) paranormal romance (25) read (27) read in 2012 (27) romance (19) series (34) shapeshifters (18) Sookie (14) Sookie Stackhouse (72) supernatural (30) to-read (40) True Blood (9) urban fantasy (43) vampires (176) werewolves (55)

English (109)  French (1)  All languages (110)
Thank God that there is an end in sight. I seriously could not take any more of this story line.

A list of things I hate about this book:
1. Bill - his puppy dog affection is seriously irritating me. Please put him out of his misery.
2. The Fae.
3. The amount of attention paid to Sookie cooking baked goods or food. I could literally make a sweet potato pie with my eyes closed.
4. Claude - need I say more!?
5. The constant whirl wind of characters - does anyone even remember who half these people are?!
6. The Fae.
7. Sookie's fashion sense - whatever she wears causes her to look like a stripper or visually impaired.
8. Eric - what happened to my lovely Eric?! :(
9. The Fae.
10. The amount of times the words "cluviel dor" is mentioned. We get it okay? She has a mystery, enchanted object. I don't need to be reminded every other page.
11. Since when did Sookie say "ya'll" every two minutes?!
12. The Fae.
13. Jannalynn - but I think that was the point wasn't it?
14. The fact every single paranormal male wants to mount Sookie. Is she really that desirable? Really? Come on guys.
15. Quinn - you are a flat, boring character, please disappear completely.
16. Oh, did I mention, the Fae? ( )
  LaurenKathryn | Mar 31, 2014 |
Putting aside the excessive relationship angst in this particular installment, the story line is good. At book 12, Deadlocked has lost some of the innocent fun of the early novels in the series, but it is still a good story with characters you can enjoy. ( )
  BJ3568 | Mar 25, 2014 |
Deadlocked, indeed.

It's time. Charlaine Harris - you have beat this horse dead. Now let it go. Please tie up your loose ends with a lucky number book 13 and put it to bed.

Most of the book is spent recounting what the previous eleven books are about so that there is very little actual forward movement in this book. All of the character development comes to a screeching halt. The writing seems more stilted and careless than the preceding books. I'm tempted to word search the document and see how many times Sookie 'muttered' something.

Really the best thing to do would be to just not read this book. ( )
  steadfastreader | Mar 18, 2014 |
The penultimate book in the Sookie Stackhouse series has a lot of big reveals, as one would expect. The big reveals at the heart of Sookie’s overarching story make sense and are well-played, although the central mystery of this entry feels a bit ho-hum.

The cluviel dor felt a bit like a deus ex machina from the instant the concept was introduced in book 11. To a certain extent, a powerful magical object that grants one wish will always feel like a deus ex machina, no matter how it is ultimately used. However, of the many options for the use of the wish, I think that how Sooie ultimately uses it is the least like a deus ex machina that it could be. The world is not torn asunder. The events of prior books aren’t canceled out. The instant in which she uses it makes sense, feels real, and is understandable. It reveals a plot point that may irritate some readers, particularly big fans of Eric, but it’s not a development that doesn’t fit in with the characters and world. Meaning that the cluviel dor is not used as a love spell or to undo the existence of vampires or some such nonsense. Those nervous about what would happen with it should rest easy and continue reading the series. You won’t have the rug pulled out from under you.

The central mystery feels kind of repetitive. There’s a dead body, and everyone must figure out what happened. Similarly, Sookie continues to refuse to learn anything from the multiple supernatural situations she has found herself in. She continues to make incredibly dumb mistakes that make it hard to root for her.

The depiction of the vampires, fairies, and werewolves continues on an ever more negative spiral. The good supes are few and far between, whereas humanity is depicted as something to strive for. For instance, having mercy on someone is seen as having humanity, as opposed to just having mercy. One of the things I liked at the beginning of the series was the ambiguity of the supes. Having Sookie feel increasingly negative toward them all is a bit sad.

That said, the book definitely moves the plot forward in a logical way. Many loose ends are addressed and answers given. Plus there is at least one big final question left for the last book in the series.

Overall, if you’ve stuck with the series this far, you should definitely keep reading. The penultimate book answers some question and continues to flesh out the version of Bon Temps in Harris’s mind.

Check out my full review: http://wp.me/pp7vL-161 ( )
  gaialover | Mar 4, 2014 |
I put off reading this book because I just knew it was going to throw a bucket of cold water on my Eric-Loving Heart. But it didn't just douse my fluttery feelings for Eric...it doused ALL my fluttery feelings. The romance is all but forgotten in this installment. I still love the Sookie-Verse, but this book left me frustrated. I have hope that the next one will get it right. ( )
  ShariSlade | Feb 28, 2014 |

Charlaine Harrisprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Desimini, LisaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lagerman, JudithCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Parker, JohannaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Julia, this is for you.
I love you, honey.
It was hot as the six shades of Hell even this late in the evening, and I'd had a busy day at work.  The last thing I wanted to do was to sit in a crowded bar to watch my cousin get naked.
I'd had a very pleasant few hours all by myself. 'Pleasant' didn't mean a positive good to me anymore: It meant an absence of bad. I had done a little straightening in the kitchen, read a little, turned on the television just to have voices in the background. Nice. Not exciting. I'd had enough exciting. (chapter 6)

Felipe de Castro, the vampire King of Louisiana (and Arkansas and Nevada), is in town. It’s the worst possible time for a human body to show up in Eric Northman’s front yard—especially the body of a woman whose blood he just drank.

Now it’s up to Sookie and Bill, the official Area Five investigator, to solve the murder. Sookie thinks that, at least this time, the dead girl’s fate has nothing to do with her. But she is wrong. She has an enemy, one far more devious than she would ever suspect, who’s set out to make Sookie’s world come crashing down.

When telepathic waitress Sookie Stackhouse investigates the body of a woman discovered in vampire Eric Northman's yard, she has no idea the murderer is an enemy out to get her.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,447,343 books! | Top bar: Always visible