Payback by Fern Michaels
Recently added bygbasscpa, private library, LittleGreenBookshop, Sharon_Chaffin, freemanlibrary

Payback by Fern Michaels is a 2005 Zebra publication.

Years ago, It was suggested to me that I might like this series. But, I was skeptical because at that time I was into really dark, gritty novels and looking at the book covers, this one as an example, with a white picket fence and red roses on it, I was sure it was too syrupy for me. But, when I received a copy of one the sisterhood novels for a gift a while back I thought- “Why not?”

As it turns out I really liked the book, and wanted to read the series from the beginning, but I doubt that will ever happen, so I will try to read one here and there where I can and as close to being in order as possible.

Payback reunites the ladies once more as they gather to help one of their own with a little 'payback'. In this case, Julia, a doctor and wife of a senator, discovers her husband is a philanderer and has given her HIV. So, she wants to be sure he pays for cutting her life short and she will start by casting doubts on his political future by making sure the press in informed of his infidelity. But, that's just for starters...

The story also continues the saga between Nikki and Jack as they begin living separate lives and Jack finds his prying into the sisterhood's activities has dire consequences. But, Jack is a very stubborn man, so I doubt he has fully learned his lesson.

I enjoyed this one well enough, but certain parts of the plot puzzled me, like Julia insisting on keeping her diagnosis a secret from her husband. It seems to me that the longer she waited, the more likely he could infect someone else. The plot against the senator was vague and things moved too l slowly for my taste, and there wasn't a lot of action or build up of suspense. What sold this one for me was the drama between Nikki and Jack and his obsession with finding out what the ladies were up to, which led him into territory he never dreamed of.
I know there are books in this series that were a lot stronger than this one. But, it was nice to go back and read one of the older titles and get a little more background on the long running series.

Overall 3 stars
  gpangel | Aug 18, 2015 |
Reading this series in order and do far I am enjoying the books. ( )
  pageturner3 | Jul 3, 2015 |
Title: Payback (Sisterhood #2)
Author: Fern Michaels
Genre: Romance, Suspense
Challenges: To Be Continued…Challenge, 101 Books in 1001 Days Challenge, Book Around the States Challenge (Virginia), 2009 Support Your Local Library, Romance Reading Challenge 2009, 20 Books in 2009, 2009 Second Chances, Pages Read Challenge, States & Countries (OnThePorchSwing)

Rating: 4/5
No. of Pages: 304
Published: 2005
From the back:
Once the hallmark of macho fantasy, payback moves to the heart of modern romance in the spotty second installment of Michaels's Revenge of the Sisterhood series, as the heroines of Weekend Warriors regroup for mission number 2. Revenge is a dish best served with cloth napkins and floral centerpiece, according to the Sisterhood members: heiress Myra Rutledge; her adopted daughter, Nikki; Kathryn, the truck driver; Alexis, the African-American broker turned personal shopper; Julia, the plastic surgeon; Isabelle, the psychic; and Yoko, the nursery owner. It's vigilante justice for Julia this time: she's "contracted AIDS from her philandering senator husband." Frail Julia gets strength from her friends and guidance from Myra's lover, Charles, an ex-MI6 British operative and gourmet cook who plays a different kind of Charlie to Myra's Angels. ("Now, girls," says Myra, "let's devour this wonderful luncheon Charles has so wonderfully prepared so we can get to work and do what we do best: going after the scoundrels who have turned your worlds upside down.") Charles arranges invites to an exclusive Washington party where the gorgeous avengers kidnap the senator, but a good-looking assistant district attorney threatens to interfere with their plans (if only he and Nikki weren't out to right past wrongs, they could rekindle their old passion!). Michaels grinds out bestsellers by concocting videogenic plots filled with strong heroines and effortless costume changes. Her fast-paced, sentimental, occasionally silly novel puts poetic justice first; romance must wait for the next installment.

Mine:
What a great series – albeit it is probably better to read in order. I love the way the Sisters manage to get around the red tape. They are using vigilante justice, but no one seems to get hurt. They are just trying to get the justice that is deserved the for the wrong doings of others. Julia’s wonderful Senator husband has fooled around and managed to give her AIDS or at least the HIV virus and it is starting to take it’s toll.

The Sisters are there to get him and put him in his place.
  suefitz1 | Apr 3, 2013 |
The women pay back the Chinese diplomat's son by skinning and flogging him with banboo. Brutal. ( )
  maryloudinon | Jun 15, 2010 |
This book is the second in the sisterhood series. Julia's case is chosen as the mission. Her husband is a senator who is not on the up and up. Read it to see what happens to senators who lie and cheat on their wives. I thought this book was as good as the first in the series. ( )
  charris5688 | Oct 25, 2009 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0821778765, Mass Market Paperback)

Meet the Sisterhood - seven very different women who found one another in their darkest days and formed an indelible friendship, strong enough to heal their pasts and bring laughter and joy back into their lives. In Myra Rutledge’s beautiful Virginia home, amid hugs and fresh iced tea, shrimp fritters and shell-pink tulips, the friends have gathered to embark on their second mission of sweet revenge for one of their own. Julia Webster’s husband, a U.S. Senator, has used his wife’s graciousness and elegance to advance his career even as he’s abused her trust at every turn and left her dreams for the future in tatters. Now, on the eve of his greatest political victory, he’s about to learn a serious lesson in payback. Because the senator crossed the wrong woman…and there are six more where she came from… “Revenge is a dish best served with cloth napkins and floral centerpieces…fast-paced…puts poetic justice first.” - Publishers Weekly

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:33 -0400)

From the outside, it looks like Julia Webster lives a normal, happy existence. A highly successful plastic surgeon, she is married to a senator very much on his way up Capitol Hill, and lives in a lovely house in Georgetown. But appearances can be deceptive, as Julia knows only too well.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,017,576 books! | Top bar: Always visible