A Lady Awakened by Cecilia Grant

A Lady Awakened

by Cecilia Grant

I'm really not sure how to review this book between a cold, upstanding widow and a charismatic land management student, but I will say that it in its everyday approach to intimacy it really did wow me. There's this scene, when fondness of the part of the hero was building, that made my heart kick just right.

And here's a heroine I admire, working to do the right thing the only way she can. This book did not rely on sex, but a genuine friendship between the two main characters. Conversely, sex only served to alienate them from one another in the absolutely stiff and uncomfortable scenes.

I guess what I'm trying to say is this book felt weird realistic for the beginning of a relationship...and it was such a good read. ( )
  aMnreader | Jan 13, 2019 |
An unusual romance that features a cold, but conscientious widow who conscripts a local ne'er-do-well lordling to get her pregnant so her late husband's estate won't go back to her husband's rapist brother. The sex scenes for 3/4ths of the book are unsexy & brief. Mrs. Russell is moralizing & awkward. We fall in love with her anyway. And the gradual transformation that occurs in her paramour as he embraces her & his responsibilities is lovely to behold. So, yes, an unusual romance, but a satisfying one. ( )
  epaulettes | Jan 3, 2019 |
Loved this story. It's such a slow moving romance, in a very good way, that it made me realize just how high-velocity so many in the genre can be. Grant really explores the underlying reasons for the H/H falling in love which was beyond refreshing. So often all you get is BAMLOVETHEEND. Cannot wait to continue reading more from this author... ( )
  GoldenDarter | Sep 15, 2016 |
I really enjoyed this read, there are many who didn't and this was a slow burn of a romance. No instant love or lust here, just a daring plan to save the estate and the estates' female servants from her ex-husband's brother, she has to conceive, so she hires a neighbour, Theophilus Mirkwood has a wicked reputation but both the proposition and the woman intrigues him, he goes with the plan, only to find that she regards sex as a duty, not a pleasure, he's determined to change her mind, but temporary may be a mistake.

I liked the characters and the story and look forward to more by that author. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Jun 25, 2016 |
I was pleasantly surprised by the book. The premise is a little over the top, but what I appreciated is that the characters had *actual* lives. I believed that they had an existence outside of each other. They both worked very hard to make their ambitions come true. Then the falling-in-love bit was also quite nice and didn't feel "oh how convenient."

I just noticed that the hair color on the cover doesn't match the heroine's at all. Her hair is a dark blonde. ( )
  hanscraft | Feb 21, 2016 |
added by AoifeT | editGossamer Obsessions, AnimeJune (Dec 15, 2011)

For Shirley
the alpha and omega of beta readers

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553593838, Mass Market Paperback)

Featured Guest Review: Eloisa James on A Lady Awakened

Eloisa James holds an M.Phil. from Oxford University, a Ph.D. from Yale is currently an associate professor and head of the Creative Writing program at Fordham University in New York City. Her "double life" as an academic and a romance writer is a source of fascination to the media and her readers. In her professorial guise, she's written a New York Times op-ed defending romance, as well as articles published everywhere from women's magazines such as More to writers' journals such as the Romance Writers' Report.

Martha Russell is a proper, laced-up widow, who finds more pleasure in charitable acts than she ever did in her marriage bed. Theophilus Mirkwood is a known rake whose all-too-true reputation has basically gotten him thrown out of London.

There couldn't be a couple less likely to fall in love--which is exactly why it's so satisfying when they do. Cecilia Grant has given us an incredibly sexy and surprisingly sweet debut that hits the perfect note for a classic "opposites attract" storyline.

Like so many great romances (and maybe real-life love stories too), A Lady Awakened starts with an indecent proposal. Martha's husband just died and she needs to become pregnant immediately--yesterday!--in order to pass off her baby as the heir to the Russell estate. If she doesn't, not only will she be destitute, but the estate will be seized by her late husband's cruel, lascivious brother.

There's one problem: in order to become pregnant, she needs to go to bed with someone. Well, who better than her notorious new neighbor Theophilus? Martha doesn't expect to get any pleasure from their bargain … and at first she doesn't. But everything changes when their relationship becomes more than just physical.

There's so much I adore about this novel--from the hilariously awkward scene in which Martha propositions Theo to the immensely sensual one in which she first succumbs to pleasure. It's not just that Theo is great in bed: there are plenty of historical novels featuring heroes with remarkable skills in that area. What makes A Lady Awakened stand out is that Cecilia Grant pulls the heartstrings of a much deeper story, the tale of how both Theo and Martha change and grow together. I really loved how they transformed one another. Martha, in particular, gives Theo a sense of purpose that allows him to escape a fairly meaningless existence.

I kept thinking about these two long after finishing the last page, and I'm sure you will, too. It's the kind of romance that sticks with you. If you read only one debut this year, this is the one to read.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:41 -0400)

"Newly widowed and desperate to protect her estate and beloved servants from her malevolent brother-in-law, Martha Russell conceives a daring plan. Or rather, a daring plan to conceive. After all, if she has an heir on the way, her future will be secured. Forsaking all she knows of propriety, Martha approaches her neighbor, a London exile with a wicked reputation, and offers a strictly business proposition: a month of illicit interludes...for a fee. Theophilus Mirkwood ought to be insulted. Should be appalled. But how can he resist this siren in widow's weeds, whose offer is simply too outrageously tempting to decline? Determined she'll get her money's worth, Theo endeavors to awaken this shamefully neglected beauty to the pleasures of the flesh--only to find her dead set against taking any enjoyment in the scandalous bargain. Surely she can't resist him forever. But could a lady's sweet surrender open their hearts to the most unexpected arrival of all...love? "--Publisher.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Cecilia Grant's book A Lady Awakened was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,848,701 books! | Top bar: Always visible