Enchantment (edition 2011)

Info:CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (2011), Paperback, 364 pages
Collections:Blog Review, Young Adult, Your library
Rating:***

Enchantment by Charlotte Abel

I just finished reading "Enchantment" about half an hour ago and I feel a little pressured about writing the review. I just wish I had more time to gather my thoughts and all, but since I don't... well, I'll just try my best.

To be honest, I feel a little bipolar about this book. Because at moments it was so amazing, I was literally holding my breath in anticipation. Unfortunately there were also those other moments when I just rolled my eyes. A couple of scenes seemed like they took forever to end, and I'd totally understand that if they were somehow important. But they weren't, and I just felt like they should've been cut shorter.

Other than that, it was a very well written, very well thought out novel. I rode the emotional roller coaster along with Channie and Josh and the rest of the characters and enjoyed every single bit of it. I loved the cheesy moments, as well as the tense ones. I would've liked to see more action, but... not up to me. Besides, I hear book 2 is packed full with it, so I'm holding my breath!!

About the story:
I'm afraid it wasn't all that original - just the ordinary girl-meets-boy, girl-falls-for-boy, relationship-is-impossibly-difficult kind of thing - but it was presented in an original way and it's safe to say that I liked it.
This was the first witch book I've read so far, where nobody speaks the spells/curses. We're just told that a spell is used and what it does, but how exactly it's manipulated... no one knows. I don't mean this as a bad thing. With all that goes on, I think that it's better this way.

The characters:
* Channie - I loved Enchantment's easy going nature and kind of missed it after she was renamed. Then I loved Chastity's strong persona as well. Until she kind of turned into a control freak, sometimes scaring me from the screen of my kindle. I must admit that I loved her most in the end, when she was her real self. When she was shy, selfless and full of love.

* Josh was a cutie and totally swoon worthy. But I was kind of hoping that he wouldn't behave like a sulking boy all the time, that he would grow up and be the man that I felt he should be. I think he did that towards the end. I loved him the most when he was angry with Channie, because anger kind of suited his otherwise gentle nature. The only thing I didn't like about him was the extensive crying. I'm not sure guys do that. It made me roll my eyes again and again.

* Momma & Daddy kind of made me squirm every time they were mentioned. They were tough characters with old beliefs and emanated coldness most of the time. I think that Mrs. Abel did a very good job on them. To be honest, I kind of enjoyed it when Channie got the upper hand over them.

* Aunt Wisdom cracked me up. She was one hell of a woman. My respects for her and her honest opinions and words. I wish I had an aunt like that to care about me as much as she did about Channie.

All the rest of the characters, Abby, Hunter, Eric, the triplets and Elijah amused me in their own way. I had fun reading about them.

To wrap it up: I recommend this book for anyone who likes heavy romance and some action.

Favorite quotes:
One
The teacher cleared her throat and said, "I expect my students to respond to roll call with 'present', but if any of you find the pronunciation of more than one syllable at a time beyond your capabilities, you may simply say, 'here.' This is an advanced placement English Literature course. Surely, you have a basic grasp of the language or you wouldn't be in my classroom." - Old Lady Windsor

Two
"...Maggots, dead fish, fried liver - "
"What are you doing?"
Josh opened one eye and grinned. "Thinking of gross stuff."
"Does that help?"
"Almost as much as a cold shower."

Three
"That's too bad." Josh puffed his chest out and said, "I was really looking forward to demonstrating my awesome survivalist skills."
"When we get back to the cabin, I'll let you skin and gut this one to prove your manhood."
"Uh..." The skin around Josh's lips turned green. ( )
  VanyaDrum | Jan 26, 2014 |
Saying this one surprised me might be a common statement but I can't believe I took so long to read this. It was very surprising and my brain is going a mile a minute and I'm finding it difficult to get my thoughts to come together. But i'm going to give it a shot.

Here goes:
Channie is a Mage or a witch. Channie's people live a secluded life away from Empties or the Magically Disabled(MD). Empties is a more derogatory way of referring to the non-magically inclined. The mages seclusion makes them completely clueless about many things especially on Pop Culture. And saying their clueless is a lot nicer way to put it, there are other choice words I could have used. A Mages given name is called a power name, they are bestowed with a name as a baby at a magical ceremony, a power name says how their particular magic will work or what their personality might be like. Although a power name can adversely affect a mage and a power name might not be what's expected. Channie's father is proof of that. I can imagine that his parents might thought naming him Money would make him have a lot of it, but instead he can't seem to earn it or keep it, in fact his name actually brings his family a lot of grief. Channie's sister's power name is Abundance and her mother's power name is Prudence, I would say their names are actually more befitting of them.

About Channie:
Channie's power name is Enchantment which means she enchants or bewitches others to do things her way. As Enchantment, Channie seemed to have a little stubbornness which does not go with her power name. I almost forgot about that when her parents cursed her with the new power name Chastity, because they were afraid she would get herself knocked up by a MD boy. Chastity was basically a bitch most of the time, and Channie felt it was all Chastity but I think some of it was her personality. With her new power name, Channie was short tempered, a jealous freak, and quick to jump to conclusions. Okay, i'm gonna stop now if I keep going I will give away too much about Channie. Of course Channie meets MD Josh and falls madly in love with him. DUH.

About Josh:
Channie met Josh when her family had to run for their lives from their home when her father got himself into some financial trouble. Josh had the unfortunate luck to meet Chastity when Channie wanted a guinea pig to test out her new power name. Josh is a sweet guy who was focused on his goals for the future until Channie entered his life and turned it askew on it's ass. Of course Josh meets Channie and falls madly in love with her. DUH.

About the couple:
Man, why couldn't they ever get a break. Since Chastity was a curse because as it turns out Channie's parents are dumb asses, every time Channie releases or uses power it's actually a curse. Boys already can't get too close to her without feeling Chastity's wrath and when she decided to go against her peoples prejudice of empties and got involved with Josh all she kept doing was cursing him. Poor Josh had to deal with physical, mental and i'm sure a lot of emotional pain being in a relationship with Channie but he also had to deal with the bitch Chastity. No apologies Chastity was a Class A bitch, some of it was Channie not having more control of her emotions, she was always apologizing to Josh, it was like he was in an abusive relationship. Her mood swings could give a guy whiplash.

To sum up:
Power names seems to be out of the bearers control sometimes but I think it's just easier to be what's expected. Many times Channie had to remember that a power name does not control free will and she needs to be aware of her actions before she acts, easier said than done for her most of the time. Channie does have one positive influence in her life with a befitting power name, Wisdom. Aunt Wisdom's influence made Channie seem less "back woods" compare to her parents who would not get awards for being good parents anytime soon. There were many other characters but Channie's and Josh's tumultuous relationship was front and center and a strong force on the story that I forgot others existed most of the time. Except for her nephews and Josh's little brother no one else existed for me.

Charlotte Abel is a genius, the concept was such a dream and the storytelling was intense and mind boggling. I was actually happy with the ending, it makes me ready to go on to it and see where things go form here. ( )
  chicreader | Jan 21, 2014 |

Here goes:

About Channie:

About Josh:

About the couple:

To sum up:

chicreader | Jan 21, 2014 |
deleting reviews if you want to take a look at them you can do so on my blog, link on my profile ( )
  karlaihdez | Sep 20, 2013 |
Enchantment by Charlotte Abel

Reading this story it reminded me of young love and the wanting and dreaming of meeting your very own Prince Charming. This is one of those stories that you see the story unfolding and you turn every page to make sure it’s going to happen. The writing is great, easy to read, words flow so you just keep reading till you reach the end.

The story begins with Channie (Enchantment) moving to a new city with her family, her father is on the run from a very powerful family, he owes them a huge gambling debt, this family is well known and will not just want money they may even kill Channie’s (Enchantment) family to get revenge on her father.

Starting at a new school is hard enough but to be living around non magic humans is a whole other complication. Channie (Enchantment) meets Josh and their amazing almost fairy tale story begins.

All I can say is this book is well written its about love, magic, awful parents, dreams, hopes and its touching funny and you just want the best for Channie and Josh.

I will be keeping an eye out for a sequel.

If you’re looking for a heart warming read this is the book to read.

Charlotte Abel is an amazing author/storyteller.
  TanaT | Aug 7, 2013 |

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,319,532 books! | Top bar: Always visible