Letters From Wolfie by Patti Sherlock

Letters From Wolfie

by Patti Sherlock

Letters from Wolfie takes place during the begining of the Vietnam war. A boy named Mark wants to donate his dog Wolfie to the army because his brother (who is a soldier in Vietnam) says the military needs dogs. As soon as he is donated, Mark learns that the enemy paies people money to kill military working dogs and begins to worry. He also worries that Wolfie isn't doing well in training and tries to get him back. When the military says that Wolfie is no longer a pet and that he is a soldier, Mark sets up protest marches and letters to try to bring back his friend. After his brother loses his leg in a boming, and things start to get better, the unspeakable happens. When Wolfie and his partner are going on potrol, out of no were Wolfie gets shot. Years after Wolfies death before Mark goes to college, he writes one last letter to reminde his dearest friend he'll never forget him.

In my opinion, this is one of my most favorate books. Even though its fiction, it describes real events that took place during that time. This story shows how much dedication Mark gives for his best friend and I appretiate that. Wolfie shows how loyal a dog can be and will fight to the end for a friend. I was very disapointed that Wolfie past away,but if also gave the story a happy ending as well. I hope I will find another book like this someday
  tatertot84 | Oct 10, 2010 |
This is one of my all time favorites. I feel bad when wolfie doesn't come home. Boy gives his dog to the army to be a scout dog in Vietnam but regrets the decision and fights to get him back. ( )
  gcguybrarian | Jan 21, 2010 |
Set during the Vietnam War, a boy decides to send his dog to fight because his brother in Vietnam says they need them. By the time Wolfie is in training, he regrets sending his dog, but it is too late. The soldier with Wolfie sends frequent letters, more frequent than his own brother. Overall, the story was a bit sad and very hard to take at times. Really puts you in the scene of Vietnam from both a civilian and solider point of view. ( )
  knielsen83 | Mar 5, 2009 |
Great book to remind me of the sacrifies many different people made during that particular war. I didn't know that dogs were recruited for the war. ( )
  laurie_library | Oct 7, 2008 |
Certain that he is doing the right thing by donating his dog, Wolfie, to the Army's scout program in Vietnam, thirteen-year-old Mark begins to have second thoughts when the Army refuses to say when and if Wolfie will ever return ( )
  parkridgeya | May 20, 2008 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 014240358X, Paperback)

Mark’s dog Wolfie is part malamute, part German shepherd, and all heart. Mark can hardly imagine life without his big, loving canine companion. But in 1969, the Vietnam War is still raging, and when Mark learns that the army needs scout dogs, he decides to send Wolfie. As his dad says, a smart dog like Wolfie could save a lot of soldiers—soldiers like Mark’s brother, Danny. Besides, it seems like the patriotic thing to do. Inspired by real events, this is a heartbreaking story about sacrifice, loyalty, and the complex meanings of patriotism.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:13 -0400)

Certain that he is doing the right thing by donating his dog, Wolfie, to the Army's scout program in Vietnam, thirteen-year-old Mark begins to have second thoughts when the Army refuses to say when and if Wolfie will ever return.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,424,994 books! | Top bar: Always visible