Transmetropolitan Vol. 08: Dirge by Warren…

Transmetropolitan Vol. 08: Dirge

by Warren Ellis

This is perfection, as far as this series goes. I really hope it sustains at this level for the last two installments, because I'd hate for this to've been the crowning moment - especially when everything seems like it can only get even more awesome. For fans of the series, this will make you want to rush out and buy the next two installments without delay - and if you aren't reading the series, how many times do I have to tell you (in the words of Spider himself) to get off your asses and get cracking? We all hate it here - but Spider makes us remember that it's still worth fighting for.

More (as of tmrw) at RB: http://wp.me/pGVzJ-MV ( )
  drewsof | Sep 10, 2013 |
I can't get enough of Spider Jerusalem. ( )
  morbusiff | May 9, 2013 |
I missed reading Volume 7. However, this book begins with a 'ruinstorm' in city. Spider figures something is happening in city alongside, premediated under 'blue flu' operation - where cops don't show up. A blur suit sniper is firing away in the city. In the end,he collapses unable to write his column based on what he found - his assistant Yelena steps in and writes a column under his name just so that his commitment is not delayed. That's as sentimental as you can get from Warren Ellis. ;) Turns out Spider has a brain degenerative disease with only a year to live and meanwhile Callahan seems to have moved to get all his evidence wiped from Word's archives. Yet Spider must get the truth out in the little time he has.

There are black nice panels when Spider is stirring to consciousness and he wakes up yelling, 'Drugs is good for me'. The street signs are funny and antagonist as ever 'Sweet Corpse toffee', advertisement of home cloned 'piglet', kid wearing T-shirt saying 'little shit', woman with tattoo 'fuck me', Message in cab 'Do not maim or kill driver', popcorn bucket that reads as 'pup bucket' (QI is eating from it) and so on. ( )
  poonamsharma | Apr 6, 2013 |
A more personal and slower paced story this time around this really felt more intimate than any of the other books so far .
Some major (very major) events do happen in the bigger world, but this book focuses more on Spiders health issues and some of the ongoing changes and developments with the Filthy Assistants and how they are all effecting each other even as the war between Spider and the President amps up and starts to spiral out of control. ( )
  Kellswitch | Jun 17, 2012 |
Spider Jerusalem only has a year to live— and he intends to make the most of it. He gets to confront his own mortality, but with his usual perversity, he wants to take the President with him before he goes. This is another dark part of the storyline, but I am hopeful that it will make the resolution all the better when it gets there. ( )
  slothman | Jul 2, 2009 |
RRRR.
Food.

As the City suffers through a storm and a sniper in the print district, Spider and his assistants continue trying to prove their allegations against the President, and Spider learns the horrific nature of his mysterious affliction.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,360,765 books! | Top bar: Always visible