Transmetropolitan Vol. 8: Dirge by Warren…

Transmetropolitan Vol. 8: Dirge (edition 2003)

by Warren Ellis

Member:othersam
Title:Transmetropolitan Vol. 8: Dirge
Authors:Warren Ellis
Info:Vertigo (2003), Paperback, 144 pages

Transmetropolitan, Vol. 8: Dirge by Warren Ellis

I hate it here, but I love this series.

[a:Warren Ellis|12772|Warren Ellis|http://photo.goodreads.com/authors/1316469074p2/12772.jpg] has crafted the outrageous gonzo journalist from sheer hate, cynicism, rage, and good humor. He has infused him with an altruism that is remarkable and relentless, a thirst for justice purely unquenchable, and a righteous wrath that would set any red-blooded human's heart a-pumping. Transmetropolitan is priceless, and truly shocking in the way the cyberpunk series continues to hit home.

With the [ author: H.L. Mencken] quote in [b:Gouge Away|22422|Transmetropolitan, Vol. 6 Gouge Away|Warren Ellis|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1167349100s/22422.jpg|978453] [a:Warren Ellis|12772|Warren Ellis|http://photo.goodreads.com/authors/1316469074p2/12772.jpg] set the stage for the final story arc, the only story arc in some ways, that is bringing the series racing towards its finish. The startling pace and the true tragedy of this issue bring it home to the reader that this isn't your normal graphic novel - nor even remotely close to being such.

What I mean is, I care about these characters. The worry I feel is as real as the way my throat closed when the diagnosis was set down. I care about these characters, I care about their quest, and I care about the final dredges of humanity that [a:Warren Ellis|12772|Warren Ellis|http://photo.goodreads.com/authors/1316469074p2/12772.jpg] has so cleverly infused into the new scum and the dreaded audience that Spider Jerusalem preaches to.

Man, I care about these characters... and as much as I want to finish the series, to see how the final battle goes down and watch the e-ink dry on the strangely iPad like tablets... I also don't want to finish the series and see these characters go. They've touched my heart, and the plot has set the wheels in my own brain racing.

And I thought I loved Preacher. Transmetropolitan takes this medium to a whole new level. ( )
  Lepophagus | Jun 14, 2018 |
This is perfection, as far as this series goes. I really hope it sustains at this level for the last two installments, because I'd hate for this to've been the crowning moment - especially when everything seems like it can only get even more awesome. For fans of the series, this will make you want to rush out and buy the next two installments without delay - and if you aren't reading the series, how many times do I have to tell you (in the words of Spider himself) to get off your asses and get cracking? We all hate it here - but Spider makes us remember that it's still worth fighting for.

More (as of tmrw) at RB: http://wp.me/pGVzJ-MV ( )
  drewsof | Sep 10, 2013 |
I can't get enough of Spider Jerusalem. ( )
  morbusiff | May 9, 2013 |
I missed reading Volume 7. However, this book begins with a 'ruinstorm' in city. Spider figures something is happening in city alongside, premediated under 'blue flu' operation - where cops don't show up. A blur suit sniper is firing away in the city. In the end,he collapses unable to write his column based on what he found - his assistant Yelena steps in and writes a column under his name just so that his commitment is not delayed. That's as sentimental as you can get from Warren Ellis. ;) Turns out Spider has a brain degenerative disease with only a year to live and meanwhile Callahan seems to have moved to get all his evidence wiped from Word's archives. Yet Spider must get the truth out in the little time he has.

There are black nice panels when Spider is stirring to consciousness and he wakes up yelling, 'Drugs is good for me'. The street signs are funny and antagonist as ever 'Sweet Corpse toffee', advertisement of home cloned 'piglet', kid wearing T-shirt saying 'little shit', woman with tattoo 'fuck me', Message in cab 'Do not maim or kill driver', popcorn bucket that reads as 'pup bucket' (QI is eating from it) and so on. ( )
  poonamsharma | Apr 6, 2013 |
A more personal and slower paced story this time around this really felt more intimate than any of the other books so far .
Some major (very major) events do happen in the bigger world, but this book focuses more on Spiders health issues and some of the ongoing changes and developments with the Filthy Assistants and how they are all effecting each other even as the war between Spider and the President amps up and starts to spiral out of control. ( )
  Kellswitch | Jun 17, 2012 |

Warren Ellisprimary authorall editionscalculated
Robertson, DarickIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
RRRR.
Food.

Investigative reporter Spider Jerusalem attacks the injustices of the 21st Century surroundings while working for the newspaper The Word in this critically-acclaimed graphic novel series written by comics superstar Warren Ellis, the co-creator of PLANETARY and THE AUTHORITY. In this eighth volume collecting issues #43-48 of the groundbreaking VERTIGO title, all hell breaks loose as a nameless sniper terrorizes the Print District and a raging superstorm clears the streets of The City.

As the City suffers through a storm and a sniper in the print district, Spider and his assistants continue trying to prove their allegations against the President, and Spider learns the horrific nature of his mysterious affliction.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,013,901 books! | Top bar: Always visible