Size 12 Is Not Fat: A Heather Wells Mystery…

Size 12 Is Not Fat: A Heather Wells Mystery (edition 2006)

by Meg Cabot

Member:froggiesl
Title:Size 12 Is Not Fat: A Heather Wells Mystery
Authors:Meg Cabot
Info:Avon A (2006), Paperback, 368 pages
Tags:college, life, mystery, crime, murder, fiction, comedy

Size 12 is Not Fat by Meg Cabot

Recently added byrena75, LJsBooks, carolin_l, TayaW
    Perfect is Overrated by Karen Bergreen (kathleen.morrow)
    kathleen.morrow: Hilarious mysteries with really likeable heroines and swoony love interests.
    Falling in Love with English Boys by Melissa Jensen (kathleen.morrow)
    The Fine Art of Truth or Dare by Melissa Jensen (kathleen.morrow)
    kathleen.morrow: Very different plots, but similar tone and humor
    The Little Lady Agency by Hester Browne (kathleen.morrow)
    kathleen.morrow: Similar writing style and sense of humor. Both are well-written, engaging, easy to read

English (87)  Portuguese (1)  All languages (88)
Easy, fun read. I finished it in about 2 days. I enjoy Meg Cabot's writing when you want something girly and light hearted. ( )
  thebookdisciple | Oct 9, 2018 |
Meg Cabot, of Princess Diaries fame, isn't quite as good an author for adults, but this mystery is still a fun read. I liked the premise on this - a former pop princess works as a dorm supervisor after her career tanks and her mother absconds with all her money. When someone starts shoving students down the elevator shaft, our heroine investigates, a la Nancy Drew. ( )
  JanetNoRules | Sep 17, 2018 |
A lot of chick lit I really love: not this. I found the writing poor, the characters and conversations irritating. I read about 100 humourless, dull pages before throwing it aside. ( )
  Siubhan | Feb 28, 2018 |
If you can ignore the fact that deaths at a university *residence hall* would not prompt a full-on investigation by the authorities, the stupidity of said authorities including a private investigator named Cooper (Heather's landlord and biggest crush ever!) who doesn't seem as bright and competent as Heather's inner thoughts would lead you to believe, and the character flaws Heather herself has despite being 28 and the only character to catch on that those aforementioned deaths were actually murders, this book is a light and easy read.

If you were able to get through the above sentence, Heather's run-on thoughts are sure to be a delight. :)

Reading from Heather's perspective was, at times, enjoyable, and her scattered thoughts add more fun to the storyline. However, if there was a drinking game for how many times the words "you know," "umm," and "not dorm...residence hall" were included, I'd be trashed before chapter 4. If Meg Cabot could pretend her readers are reading the book in one sitting and don't need the repetitive details ingrained in their minds, I'm sure we'd all feel a little better about ourselves. Heather also seemed inconsistent in situations. In the beginning of the book, she is bold enough to stand up for her pant size to a random stranger, but other interactions present her as lacking self-confidence.

The mystery was interesting. Not complex but certainly could catch the reader off guard when the murderer is revealed. But even after the big reveal, we are treated with this seemingly never-ending monologue of murderous motivations and dumb blonde jokes, almost as if to say, "Who wouldn't want to die after being subjected to this?" Details revealed are just unrealistic enough to make you wonder how it all should even make sense, but then you remember this is a world where cops don't care about deaths at a um, you know, residence hall.

Overall, I would only recommend this book if you're looking for a short and fluffy read, and you promise not to think too much.
  ThePdawg | Jan 14, 2018 |
Meg does it again! She has this uncanny ability to make you want to be best friends with every main character she creates. This was a fantastic read full of mystery, suspense and a whole lot of humor. I loved, loved, loved the narration of the main character Heather Wells and really wish I could take her out to lunch sometime! I'm not usually the type of reader who enjoys mystery novels, because I always seem to figure them out. I figured out this one, but it was just such a fun read that I really didn't care.

This is a must read! Perfect for the beach or any other lazy day you have coming up! ( )
  Emma_Manolis | Jun 27, 2017 |
For Benjamin
Um, hello.

Heather Wells Rocks!

Or, at least, she did. That was before she left the pop-idol life behind after she gained a dress size or two -- and lost a boyfriend, a recording contract, and her life savings (when Mom took the money and ran off to Argentina). Now that the glamour and glory days of endless mall appearances are in the past, Heather's perfectly happy with her new size 12 shape (the average for the American woman!) and her new job as an assistant dorm director at one of New York's top colleges. That is, until the dead body of a female student from Heather's residence hall is discovered at the bottom of an elevator shaft.

The cops and the college president are ready to chalk the death off as an accident, the result of reckless youthful mischief. But Heather knows teenage girls . . . and girls do not elevator surf. Yet no one wants to listen -- not the police, her colleagues, or the P.I. who owns the brownstone where she lives -- even when more students start turning up dead in equally ordinary and subtly sinister ways. So Heather makes the decision to take on yet another new career: as spunky girl detective!

But her new job comes with few benefits, no cheering crowds, and lots of liabilities, some of them potentially fatal. And nothing ticks off a killer more than a portly ex-pop star who's sticking her nose where it doesn't belong . . .

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:50 -0400)

Heather Wells Rocks! Or, at least, she did. That was before she left the pop-idol life behind after she gained a dress size or two, and lost a boyfriend, a recording contract, and her life savings (when Mom took the money and ran off to Argentina). Now that the glamour and glory days of endless mall appearances are in the past, Heather's perfectly happy with her new size 12 shape (the average for the American woman!) and her new job as an assistant dorm director at one of New York's top colleges. That is, until the dead body of a female student from Heather's residence hall is discovered at the bottom of an elevator shaft. The cops and the college president are ready to chalk the death off as an accident, the result of reckless youthful mischief. But Heather knows teenage girls and girls do not elevator surf. Yet no one wants to listen, not the police, her colleagues, or the P.I. who owns the brownstone where she lives, even when more students start turning up dead in equally ordinary and subtly sinister ways. So Heather makes the decision to take on yet another new career: as spunky girl detective! But her new job comes with few benefits, no cheering crowds, and lots of liabilities, some of them potentially fatal. And nothing ticks off a killer more than a portly ex-pop star who's sticking her nose where it doesn't belong.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,398,696 books! | Top bar: Always visible