Skye O'Malley by Beatrice Small

Skye O'Malley (original 1980; edition 1996)

by Beatrice Small

Member:LoreleiOrion
Title:Skye O'Malley
Authors:Beatrice Small
Info:The Classics of Romance (1996), Leather Bound, 538 pages

Skye O'Malley by Bertrice Small (1980)

One of my all time favorite books. I read this steamy historical romance again after six years and it's still a great book. It is so full of events that invoke a whole range of emotions like love, hate, happiness, sadness and more. Skye is a strong beautiful woman who deeply experiences love. ( )
  Dawn772 | Jan 29, 2015 |
Love Bertrice Small! I read this book when I was 15 years old and have reread it many times since. Small's books are pretty much the only romance books that I read. I love the way she intertwined her stories with real historical facts, characters and situations. Her rich, luscious descriptions of the feasts, banquets and balls never fail to please, and her heroines are always strong and capable women. ( )
  TracyCampbell | Aug 17, 2013 |
Rape, rape, and more rape. Here are three excellent reviews if you don't want to take my word for it:
  maybedog | Apr 5, 2013 |
  maybedog | Apr 5, 2013 |
Rbrs #3

This was supposed to be the "good" romance, the one that has some popular acclaim and merit. Hah!

The book itself is a no-star wonder. I hate it, with the same passion all the characters seemed to have for endless and immediate boffing. I skimmed a bit then went back to the beginning with a non-drinking drinking game-type system, of marking certain types of passages with colored tabs:

Yellow = dumb, eye-rolling, wtf, you're kidding, now you're making sh-t up
Pink = well that wasn't too bad because at least she was willing
Green = hold on while I swallow back the vomit...nopeit'scomingout - bucket!
Blue = how beautiful is she? sooooooooo purty!
Orange = food glorious food

At about 70 pages I gave up yellow because too much of it was dumb. At about 100 pages I gave up all but orange. At the 1/3rd point I went back to skimming. Here's a visual of the carnage (just 1/3rd of the book, I would've run out of sticky tabs if I'd tried to mark the whole book):

This book...rape (of every hole!!!), globular breasts and cupped buttocks, having the heroine act idiotically but then having everyone admire her intelligence, stating something and then having a character repeat with the exact words within the same page, despicable men (every one of them), emphasizing again and again how beautiful she was and how everyone desired her for her beauty and how wonderful her beauty made her and my god she's beautiful...I don't know where to begin...maybe with the words of those who actually read the whole book, the brave, the masochistic, the wild-eyed with anger, the adept at making fairytale analogies, I applaud their determination.

The one aspect I want to cover - the ess-ee-ex. Hoooooo boy. The last romance had a cheery leer when it came (heh) to the sex. I mean, there was a sequence that was followed for "start-up" and the "finish line" and for the most part it didn't sound "bad." This one, the descriptions were almost perfunctory. Except for when it was abusive. Which was most of the time. Oh man, the abuse. To quote Elizabeth, ICKICKICKICKICKICKICKICKICKICK! Ick.

I wonder, would I have hated this book so much if I'd stumbled upon and read it on my own? How much have I been influenced by the reviews of those whose opinions I respect? I keep mentioning, my reading habits have changed like crazy since I started spending too much time on this site. I used to read casually, a swish and spit; now it's become practice to carefully examine, sniff, masticate thoughfully, absorb and digest. I can't seem to forget I might have an audience, all of whose mental dexterity is like Cirque du Soliel (they're in town right now!) where I can't even touch my toes...the pressure! I try to read more critically now. I'm not very good at it because I still boil down to "like it," "don't like it," "'cause." Does that suck some of the mindless enjoyment I used to have for junk like this? I'm not sure.

This enormously long book (not as enormously long as many of the men our heroine encountered) highlighted how slow I read. I'd always thought I was sort of a fast reader. Nope. Slug. Sloth. The formation of stalactites and stalagmites. Governmental reform.

The enjoyment, though, came from reading this with other goodreaders who made the experience fun. Fun! It was making me flip-flop on my opinion of this book, just like our heroine switched from loving to hating to loving to forgetting to ignoring to hating to loving the same man. The idea that reading is a solitary act has been pointed out to me before, by a very neat person on this site (you seem to have found offline life because you're rarely on here anymore, yay! but also sad to me). We all think at different speeds and in different ways, so silent reading locks us away in ourselves. But having this group who discusses, comments, mocks, jokes, and tears apart this awful book made this a social event. I was engaged to the point of wanting to read this in order to participate.

In the months I've been more active on this site, I've seen waves of activity and read of past waves; much lamentation for the past and it seems not allowing that grieving to fade hinders from allowing the now to be enjoyed. Some waves have been bad; lets focus on the good. I've read of and observed the most touching friendships that had developed through mutual love of books and sense of humor. We get great recommendations, assistance in picking out books that are more likely to appeal from the oceans of titles. I've laughed myself to tears. I've found stimulation that had been melting to nearly nothing since all my peers began coupling up and away to staid conservatism. For all this, I can't quite fully hate this book. I love this site. I love you guys. I'm not drunk. ( )
  EhEh | Apr 3, 2013 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345323645, Mass Market Paperback)

There has never been a woman like luscious, raven-haired, hot-tempered Skye O'Malley. She is the courageous seafaring captain of her own mighty fleet, and intelligent enough to win a battle of wits with Queen Elizabeth herself. Follow along as Skye O'Malley is swept up in a journey filled with romance and passion that takes her from glittering Ireland, to lush Algeria, to the heart of London in pursuit of a unique and eternal love.....

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:07 -0400)

With her raven black hair, shimmering blue eyes and breathtaking sensuality, Skye O'Malley is a woman made for love. She has countless suitors, any one of whom would do anything to be chosen by her. But Skye's future has already been determined. Following 16th-century custom in Ireland, Skye was betrothed at birth to Dom O'Flaherty, the heir to a neighboring estate. Dom's handsomeness, however, cannot mask his malevolence and lecherousness--as Skye all too quickly discovers after marrying him. She flees, returning home, where she hopes to share her life with Niall Burke, the one man who has taken her heart completely...and with whom she has shared one stolen night of blinding ecstasy. But forces are working against them Skye is kidnapped across the seas to Algiers, where she becomes the prize of a Moroccan prince. When she finally escapes to settle in England, a peaceful existence still eludes her. For her the target of jealous villainy, with her most formidable enemy Queen Elizabeth herself.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,106,718 books! | Top bar: Always visible