Insurgent by Veronica Roth

Insurgent (2013)

by Veronica Roth

Series: Divergent (2)

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (Anonymous user)
    Incarceron by Catherine Fisher (peptastic)
    The Maze Runner by James Dashner (Waterbuggg)
    Waterbuggg: Both books are action-packed and have a similar premise and secret.
    XVI by Julia Karr (kathleen.morrow)
    kathleen.morrow: Both are well-written dystopians with complicated and developed female protagonists and excellent plotting.
    The Iron Butterfly by Chanda Hahn (SayoC)
    Die Verratenen by Ursula Poznanski (Camaho)

English (375)  Spanish (4)  Piratical (1)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (383)
Insurgent is the thrilling second book to the Divergent series . Beatrice is now factionless and is trying to find a fraction that her and the survivors of her faction can stay. Jenine is still alive and is trying to come up with a serum that will allow her to control everybody's mind including the Divergents. To test the serum, she needs divegents. She koncks everybody out to find the Divergents. Eventually Beatrice goes to invade Jenine's compound she finds out the secret that they invaded for.

I think Insurgent should get a 4 star. It had some romance and action. There were a lot of events that happened. I f you don't read carefully you might miss something.There was just enough of everything for me. ( )
  Kaiah.g1 | Oct 20, 2014 |
Like a wild animal, the truth is too powerful to remain caged.

Well, I felt like Insurgent was Big Dumb Fun just in exactly the same way that the first book was. I know a lot of people didn't agree, and it might be because I sped through it in a couple of hours, but I was really satisfied with the way this book progressed. Let's face it, this book is escapism in a really ridiculous fashion.

Tris is the main reason I keep reading these books. Tris who is sixteen and young and stupid and brave and athletic and makes ridiculous decisions but whose heart is always in the right place. I like that she is somewhere in the middle – neither perfect nor with cripplingly low self-esteem, neither always right nor always wrong. Her relationship with Four doesn't define her ( her willingness to go behind his back and consort with Marcus pretty much shows that, even though it's probably not the best decision, because it's the one she thinks is right and most beneficial to the most people at the time – possibly a wee bit impulsive, but that's in character too). The Faction system continues to be completely unworkable, but if you can't accept that you probably haven't made it this far anyway.

It isn't as good as Divergent. I think that Tris's angsting about killing Will was a bit much. I'm glad it was included but it goes on for far too long and in a story where so much is happening at once, it didn't really need to be rammed home this much. Plus, I feel like it's a bit out of character. Tris shows herself to ultimately be pretty pragmatic about what happens in this situation and it seemed more likely to me that she would confront her gun fear and move on than keep this going til the end of the book.

I'm going to keep this short as I read it three months ago and I'm worried about spoiling certain things from Allegiant. However, as long as you don't go in expecting everything to suddenly start making perfect sense, this should be an enjoyable enough read for you. I give Insurgent eight out of ten.
  humblewomble | Oct 19, 2014 |
SPOILERS!!! I love this book! Tris in this book is still torn over the deaths of her parents and Will. She's contently putting herself in danger, which usually doesn't involve a gun.

Tobias is awesome! He doesn't like the fact that Tris keeps running into danger. Tris and Tobias fight a lot in this book, which I wasn't so happy about. I didn't want them to fight. It was painful to read. But they both made very good points.

And we can't forget Uriah, Marlene, and Lynn. Uriah was amazing as always. I'm really happy we get to see more of him in this book. I love him! I like that we see more of Marlene and Lynn. I love the part when Uriah and Marlene kiss! I started shipping them but then Veronica Roth threw that ship out the window (so not okay!). When I first read Divergent I did not like Lynn; she did not make a good first impression on me. But by this book I started to like her a little over the course of this book. I like that she started treating Tris like she was Dauntless, she kind of treats her as an equal. Which I liked.

I also really love Zeke and Shauna! I ship them hard. We also got to see a little bit more of Tori in this book.

And Caleb easily became one of my least favorite characters of the series.

This book was amazing, but I don't like that a few of my favorite characters died. Really, Veronica Roth? Really?! ( )
  barbiekait | Oct 16, 2014 |
**S*P*O*I*L*E*R**
Do not read further if you don’t want to have parts of this novel revealed. I really enjoy Roth’s writing style, and I have to say that while the plot is not wholly original, she has added some intricate twist and some wonderful details to the idea of taking a society in crisis and then isolating some of the population to try and rediscover the best in people. While the first book leads you to believe that the faction culture is the dystopian society, we realize in this book that while they may be, this society was created to be the salvation for a culture that we can only assume is even more dysfunctional. Roth closes out the book leaving us with many questions: can the Divergent save humanity and restore civilization? Now that the factions have been overthrown, is the new culture and government being created by the factionless any better than the ones they have replaced? And while I believe that Roth has created an innovative and intricately woven plot, it is really her characterizations that make the books. She invites the reader into the lives of her characters and asks us to identify with them, for there is some of each of us in all of her characters. As Tris reflects several times, no one is wholly good or wholly bad. Roth asks us to consider if segregation can ever be good, even with the best of intentions. She asks us to consider the makeup and exercise of power and reflects on the ability of power to corrupt, but also on the ability of power to attract the corruptible. This is a wonderfully crafted book that draws the reader through it with ease and grace so that the final page cannot come quickly enough, but at the same time comes too soon. ( )
  Al-G | Oct 10, 2014 |
Beatrice Prior is a 16 year old girl with a team of the Good Dauntless side. She fights against ( )
  Azoraw91.G1 | Oct 9, 2014 |
I won't write a spoiler here, but Veronica Roth really has a way of wrapping up the end of the story while leaving the reader gasping at the revelation, and desperate to read more.

Veronica Rothprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Galvin, EmmaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Like a wild animal, the truth is too powerful to remain caged.

-From the Candor faction manifesto
To Nelson,

who was worth every risk
I wake with his name in my mouth.

Tris Prior survives the Erudite simulation attacks that occur during the time she expected to be celebrating her achievement of being ranked first among the initiate class of her chosen faction, Dauntless. Even though the Dauntless have been freed from Erudite mind control, a war develops and secrets emerge.

"As war surges in the dystopian society around her, sixteen-year-old Divergent Tris Prior must continue trying to save those she loves--and herself--while grappling with haunting questions of grief and forgiveness, identity and loyalty, politics and love"--… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,406,539 books! | Top bar: Always visible