Insurgent by Veronica Roth

Insurgent (2013)

by Veronica Roth

Series: Divergent (2)

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (Anonymous user)
    Incarceron by Catherine Fisher (peptastic)
    The Maze Runner by James Dashner (Waterbuggg)
    Waterbuggg: Both books are action-packed and have a similar premise and secret.
    XVI by Julia Karr (kathleen.morrow)
    kathleen.morrow: Both are well-written dystopians with complicated and developed female protagonists and excellent plotting.
    The Iron Butterfly by Chanda Hahn (SayoC)
    Die Verratenen by Ursula Poznanski (Camaho)

English (403)  Spanish (3)  Piratical (1)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (410)
The second novel in the Divergent series is a bit of a slow start. It integrates the events of the first book very well, but as consequence it cannot stand alone so make sure to pick up the first novel if you're interested in the series.

Tris has a lot to deal with after the events of the first book, and guilt rightfully weighs her down. However during the slow first half crawl her relationship with Four seems to take on far too much importance. Even considering everything they've been through together it seems like a huge leap. Tris seems a little too reliant on Four, and it feels like a detriment to her character. Their love is incredibly needy and rocky at the same time. Their interactions are almost exclusively making out or arguing when they're alone together and their blind willingness to sacrifice for each other feels a little unnatural. Apart from these two issues I don't really have many complaints.

The story picks up as it continues and reintroduces several characters, all different from when we last saw them. Each is refreshingly complex. Allies and friends have darker sides, and some enemies show themselves in a better light. After slogging through the slow bits you'll be rewarded with a fast paced, action packed storyline full of uncertainty and death. There are quite a few refreshing twists I didn't see coming.

I absolutely loved how real the consequences of the characters actions are made to feel. Deaths are not simply tossed out to advance the plot and then forgotten, a crime many books commit ( -coughs- Hunger Games). Roth's attention to each character's intent, personal goals and losses makes all of them feel believable.

The story does allow for more world building exploring the factions we didn't get a chance to see in the previous books and this is where Roth really shines. Her novel's world is so well thought out and explained that it's easy to get absorbed in. With the popularity of dystopian novels recently it's hard to find series that really stick out, rest assured that the Divergent series is one of them.

Read this if you're a fan of: Hunger Games

Check out my blog http://betterbooks.tumblr.com/ for new reviews every Tuesday! ( )
  Dani.St-Onge | Mar 1, 2015 |
STILL a 5-Star book... so can't wait for Allegiant!!!!! October is TOO far away! ( )
  olongbourn | Mar 1, 2015 |
I had really been looking forward to reading this as soon as I finished Divergent. These books had sat on my Nook for quite a while, and by the time I read them, I could not figure out what had taken me so long to read them. In case you are not already aware, this is considered dystopian fiction, although there are pieces in it for everyone. It has romance, action, adventure, conflict, and all of the things you look for in an awesome novel.

The books in this series are a little longer than what I usually read and review, and I considered not posting a review of this one because it was not a review request but something I read of my own free will. However, I felt it was a testament to how much I enjoyed it that I devoured the book in just a couple days and immediately had to go on to the next installment of the series.

You see a bit of a rift growing between Tris and Four here. Can they recover from it? Is there an end to the conflict that will brew between them? Will they be able to get through and live happily ever after? You will have to read the book to find out.

Ms. Roth's use of imagery and description is amazing and I felt like I was there with them running through the streets, battling their enemies and experiencing every bit of the story with the characters. This is a definite must read.
  destinyisntfree | Feb 28, 2015 |

destinyisntfree | Feb 28, 2015 |
It is quite nice a second part of trilogy.At some point you really get confused whether Beatrice is acting like a teenager or dauntless. It is gripping book and I really liked it. ( )
  durgaprsd04 | Feb 25, 2015 |
I won't write a spoiler here, but Veronica Roth really has a way of wrapping up the end of the story while leaving the reader gasping at the revelation, and desperate to read more.

Veronica Rothprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Galvin, EmmaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Like a wild animal, the truth is too powerful to remain caged.

-From the Candor faction manifesto
To Nelson,

who was worth every risk
I wake with his name in my mouth.

Tris Prior survives the Erudite simulation attacks that occur during the time she expected to be celebrating her achievement of being ranked first among the initiate class of her chosen faction, Dauntless. Even though the Dauntless have been freed from Erudite mind control, a war develops and secrets emerge.

"As war surges in the dystopian society around her, sixteen-year-old Divergent Tris Prior must continue trying to save those she loves--and herself--while grappling with haunting questions of grief and forgiveness, identity and loyalty, politics and love"--… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,796,647 books! | Top bar: Always visible