Insurgent by Veronica Roth

Insurgent (2013)

by Veronica Roth

Series: Divergent (2)

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (Anonymous user)
    Incarceron by Catherine Fisher (peptastic)
    The Maze Runner by James Dashner (Waterbuggg)
    Waterbuggg: Both books are action-packed and have a similar premise and secret.
    XVI by Julia Karr (kathleen.morrow)
    kathleen.morrow: Both are well-written dystopians with complicated and developed female protagonists and excellent plotting.
    The Iron Butterfly by Chanda Hahn (SayoC)
    Die Verratenen by Ursula Poznanski (Camaho)

English (416)  Spanish (3)  Piratical (1)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (423)
I am in awe of the author's imagination. I love the whole divergent concept and this second book in the series is also a thrilling ride. I whipped through it, partially because it enjoyed it and had to know where it all was going and also because I want to see the movie tomorrow and wanted to read the book first (I refuse to do it the other way around, movie first, book second).
I am not sure I hold out a lot of hope for Four and Tris's relationship. They know each other so well but are missing some basic trust issues. While I understand why she misled him in several instances, it doesn't bode well for a lasting relationship.
It's such an interesting character study and why they do the things they do. I am at constant odds trying to figure out who is trustworthy and who isn't, but so many of them can be "bought" or convinced to do the wrong thing when it benefits them. I am not sure I would want too many of them as friends, or family for fear they'd turn on me when it suited them.
I am looking forward to reading the third segment in this series, they are exciting and fast reads ( )
  maggie1961 | Apr 19, 2015 |
I truly took a liking to Veronica Roth's uncomplicated writing, witty conversations and believable human emotions in Divergent, so I expected Insurgent to be good; however, I did not expect it to be that good. YA fiction is usually a kind of read where an adult can forget herself for a few hours, immersing in a story of a sixteen-year-old's drama. This is not any different; nevertheless, I paid more attention to writing, emotions and reactions. And I must say that Tris Prior is a really interesting character in that sense. I think that everyone can relate to the emptiness of losing someone they loved, a kind of curiosity that consumes you and does not let your mind rest until you figure things out, and the desperate need to not think about certain things and forget yourself by keeping busy. Another thing that kept me hooked on this book is the image of the dystopian world created by the author, which is much more vivid comparing to Divergent, as the reader can picture what kind of lives people lead in every faction. Also, Insurgent started to deal with life outside all factions - the factionless - and took it a step further by hinting that there is also a world outside the fence. Will definitely be looking forward to the next book. ( )
  v_allery | Apr 19, 2015 |
I've said it a lot during this book and I'll say it again. I am confused! What does the ending mean? And when can I find out because I am jumping out of my skin to know?

As in Divergent, Insurgent was entrancing. I couldn't wait to turn the page and find out what was going to unfold. Tris not only has to deal with major societal issues, but first love issues, trust issues and a world that has basically gone mad.

Quite the page turner but has a killer (killing me at least) cliff hanger.

Read With Me: Insurgent ( )
  bookjunkie57 | Apr 17, 2015 |
I also enjoyed the second book in the series. There were a lot of suprises and I had to continue reading because I couldn't put it down. I think this is a great book for my middle school students. There is adventure, action, drama, and romance. The students feel like they are reading an adult novel. Although the book is mature, the content is not extremely sexual and the language is pretty tame. This makes it a great choice for middle school.
  ERegele | Apr 16, 2015 |
Part 2 of the Divergent series. It starts immediately after the end of book one and continues following Tris and Four as they deal with the Erudite simulation battles that happened in Divergent. If you know what the heck I'm talking about, you'll probably read this book, if not, spoilers, go back and read Divergent. A pretty good story that is a middle book and thus has a lot of action and leads us to a climax that makes you want to start reading the next book

I enjoyed it, wouldn't say it was great but I'll still read the last book Allegiant and the side track book Four : The Son

6/10

S: 3/12/15 F: 3/17/15 (6 Days) ( )
  mahsdad | Apr 9, 2015 |
I won't write a spoiler here, but Veronica Roth really has a way of wrapping up the end of the story while leaving the reader gasping at the revelation, and desperate to read more.

Veronica Rothprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Galvin, EmmaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Like a wild animal, the truth is too powerful to remain caged.

-From the Candor faction manifesto
To Nelson,

who was worth every risk
I wake with his name in my mouth.

Tris Prior survives the Erudite simulation attacks that occur during the time she expected to be celebrating her achievement of being ranked first among the initiate class of her chosen faction, Dauntless. Even though the Dauntless have been freed from Erudite mind control, a war develops and secrets emerge.

"As war surges in the dystopian society around her, sixteen-year-old Divergent Tris Prior must continue trying to save those she loves--and herself--while grappling with haunting questions of grief and forgiveness, identity and loyalty, politics and love"--… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,748,612 books! | Top bar: Always visible