Insurgent by Veronica Roth

Insurgent (2013)

by Veronica Roth

Series: Divergent (2)

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (Anonymous user)
    Incarceron by Catherine Fisher (peptastic)
    The Maze Runner by James Dashner (Waterbuggg)
    Waterbuggg: Both books are action-packed and have a similar premise and secret.
    XVI by Julia Karr (kathleen.morrow)
    kathleen.morrow: Both are well-written dystopians with complicated and developed female protagonists and excellent plotting.
    The Iron Butterfly by Chanda Hahn (SayoC)
    Die Verratenen by Ursula Poznanski (Camaho)

English (449)  Spanish (3)  Piratical (1)  German (1)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (456)
I really did not enjoy this book.

By that, I don't mean that the book was poorly written, or that I hated it and plan to stop reading. I just mean that this book was an emotional roller coaster ride that was a doozy to get through.

The writing style reminded me much of that in Divergent--great (sometimes almost frenetically quick) pacing, strong characterization, and, if at times frustratingly vague, definitely a forward-moving plot. I enjoyed the world-building more here, though sometimes it was still not as fleshed out as I might have desired--it was fun hearing Erudite explanations, Jeanine describing what she was doing a bit...

There were parts I really liked. Given Tris's fear and all she's been through, the moment when she finally manages to tell Tobias she loves him, and how he takes care of her after she gives herself up to Erudite and is finally saved by Peter, were really sweet. I enjoyed learning more about Tris's family, and Tobias's as well.

The main reason I couldn't enjoy this book, though (I think it was at least the first two-thirds that had me hurting and cringing, respectively), was that Tris spent a big portion of the book with self-destructive thoughts and behavior, and, being that we as readers are in her head, it was exhausting and scary. It was also really frustrating seeing the arguments that Tobias and Tris were getting into--kind of reminded me of the really underdeveloped romantic comedies where everything would literally be solved if they would just talk to each other, but for 90% of the movie, they just won't. Then they do, and it's an easy fix. Now, this was different because there were lots of serious, real issues--obviously Tris was dealing with a lot, and she also clearly had some trust and intimacy/vulnerability issues. Tobias also clearly doesn't love sharing everything, but he was also obviously trying and his frustrations were so understandable that I found Tris's anger, if not unexplainable, definitely frustrating.

Also, seems like everyone is dying? Especially everyone else's love interests? (e.g., Marlene, Lynn, to add onto Will.)

All that being said, though, I'm excited to read Allegiant and I have hopes that it will be better. Mainly because, after having put Tris and Tobias through that much, I'm hoping that the conclusion will be more growth rather than rough and ugly testing and development--which is certainly understandable, possibly even necessary, but wasn't, for me, enjoyable. I'm also looking forward to hopefully more solid world-building and some believable explanations for how things turned out when we started in Divergent.

All in all, while Divergent had its own heart-rending scenes, that's a book I can easily imagine going back and wanting to reread, because there are still lots of payoffs and scenes that are really rewarding. Insurgent, not so much (although I'm definitely noticing a pattern in trilogies/series, and often with the second book: New Moon--don't get me wrong, I really dislike Twilight and I won't compare it with Divergent, but I mean the way that I felt because of the way the characters were acting or what happened to them--The Elite by Kiera Cass, Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins, etc.). ( )
  elephantine | Nov 27, 2015 |
I read Divergent a million years ago it seems (just after it's release) and adored it. I forgot about it until Allegient came out and then the movie so I watched the movie and remembered why I loved Divergent so I had to go read Insurgent right away. It wasn't perfect but it was still pretty good. There were some massive plot holes here and there but the book was okay and did pretty well for a trilogy middle novel. I enjoyed it.

After reading reviews for Allegient I won't be reading it as I did enjoy these first two novels and I don't want to ruin them. I hope the movie franchise can save the series and turn the ending into what it should be. Never thought I would say that. ( )
1 vote mojo09226 | Nov 12, 2015 |
POV: 1st Person
Genre: Fantasy/Dystopian
Insurgent starts off where Divergent leaves and it is a roller coaster of action and emotions. Tris' decisions oftentimes border on bravery/idiocy, but you can always see why she chooses to do what she does even if you don't necessarily agree. At times she is capable of acting wise above her years and others you are reminded that she is only 16. There are twists in Insurgent that I did not see coming and it was refreshing to be taken by surprise. I again (as with Divergent) felt the emotional impact of this book and had a hard time putting it down. Roth is able to pull you completely into the story and make you temporarily forget that you are not really within the walls of that city. ( )
1 vote Kristymk18 | Nov 12, 2015 |
I love "on the edge of my seat" endings . . especially when they revolve around finishing the second book of a terrific trilogy! Veronica Roth's third,and final, book of the Divergent Trilogy, Allegiant, is inching toward me on my beloved library's HOLD list. Thankfully, for me, anticipation is something I embrace with open arms. ( )
1 vote idajo2 | Nov 3, 2015 |
Até 50% deste danado era 5 estrelas. A diabinha enjoada cresceu lindamente, mas o rapaz ficou besta. Equilibrio saudade.Depois da enrolaçãozinha que fez perder uma estrela a história foi ficando interessante de novo e fechou bem simpática. Estou até surpresa. Daria 4,5 se fosse possível. ( )
1 vote MarthaNunes | Nov 2, 2015 |
I won't write a spoiler here, but Veronica Roth really has a way of wrapping up the end of the story while leaving the reader gasping at the revelation, and desperate to read more.

Veronica Rothprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Galvin, EmmaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Like a wild animal, the truth is too powerful to remain caged.

-From the Candor faction manifesto
To Nelson,

who was worth every risk
I wake with his name in my mouth.

Tris Prior survives the Erudite simulation attacks that occur during the time she expected to be celebrating her achievement of being ranked first among the initiate class of her chosen faction, Dauntless. Even though the Dauntless have been freed from Erudite mind control, a war develops and secrets emerge.

"As war surges in the dystopian society around her, sixteen-year-old Divergent Tris Prior must continue trying to save those she loves--and herself--while grappling with haunting questions of grief and forgiveness, identity and loyalty, politics and love"--… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,884,756 books! | Top bar: Always visible