Insurgent by Veronica Roth

Insurgent (2013)

by Veronica Roth

Series: Divergent (2)

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (Anonymous user)
    Incarceron by Catherine Fisher (peptastic)
    The Maze Runner by James Dashner (Waterbuggg)
    Waterbuggg: Both books are action-packed and have a similar premise and secret.
    XVI by Julia Karr (kathleen.morrow)
    kathleen.morrow: Both are well-written dystopians with complicated and developed female protagonists and excellent plotting.
    The Iron Butterfly by Chanda Hahn (SayoC)
    Die Verratenen by Ursula Poznanski (Camaho)

English (431)  Spanish (2)  Piratical (1)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (437)
Insurgent, the second installment of Veronica Roth's dystopian Divergent series, takes us out of the faction city into the world beyond, and what a world it is! Most dystopic novels tend to encompass the world entire, or at least the country entire. Divergent introduced us to the factions, and set the stage for revolution. Insurgent delivers this promise, and more, giving us a dystopia nested within another. I have to say, I wasn't at all expecting that.

Characters continue to be developed and fleshed out. We get to dig into the personal lives, true faces, and motives of characters who were only seen in passing in the first book. Just goes to show that sometimes you don't really know people.

I absolutely love dystopias, but I do think the use of romantic triangles in modern YA dystopias (or paranormal stories) has become rather trite and cliché. Thankfully, this has not been the case with the Divergent series, thus far, at least. ( )
  PardaMustang | Aug 13, 2015 |
The audiobook really didn't inspire I must admit. The narration was fine, but I think that it kept me from liking Tris all that much. I get the feeling that reading these books will be better for most people since everyone else seems to love them ;-). That ending got me interested in Allegiant though, since until that moment I was kind of meh about finishing the trilogy. Now I'm curious! Overall though, I think that this series has been overcome by the hype-monster :-/ ( )
  anyaejo | Aug 12, 2015 |
This is a great sequel. The action just keeps on going. The characters keep maturing ( which is amazing seeing that the life expectancy is about 20). I am enjoying it. ( )
  Joanne53 | Aug 12, 2015 |
At times I hated this novel and wanted to quit (Tris gets on my nerves much of the time!), but as it neared the end, I couldn't finish fast enough. And the ending....wow. Now I'll be rushing to the library for the final installment. ( )
  engpunk77 | Aug 10, 2015 |
As fast paced and intriguing as its predecessor. ( )
  Helen_Earl | Aug 6, 2015 |
I won't write a spoiler here, but Veronica Roth really has a way of wrapping up the end of the story while leaving the reader gasping at the revelation, and desperate to read more.

Veronica Rothprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Galvin, EmmaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Like a wild animal, the truth is too powerful to remain caged.

-From the Candor faction manifesto
To Nelson,

who was worth every risk
I wake with his name in my mouth.

Tris Prior survives the Erudite simulation attacks that occur during the time she expected to be celebrating her achievement of being ranked first among the initiate class of her chosen faction, Dauntless. Even though the Dauntless have been freed from Erudite mind control, a war develops and secrets emerge.

"As war surges in the dystopian society around her, sixteen-year-old Divergent Tris Prior must continue trying to save those she loves--and herself--while grappling with haunting questions of grief and forgiveness, identity and loyalty, politics and love"--… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,069,457 books! | Top bar: Always visible