Insurgent by Veronica Roth

Insurgent (2013)

by Veronica Roth

Series: Divergent (2)

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (Anonymous user)
    Incarceron by Catherine Fisher (peptastic)
    The Maze Runner by James Dashner (Waterbuggg)
    Waterbuggg: Both books are action-packed and have a similar premise and secret.
    XVI by Julia Karr (kathleen.morrow)
    kathleen.morrow: Both are well-written dystopians with complicated and developed female protagonists and excellent plotting.
    The Iron Butterfly by Chanda Hahn (SayoC)
    Die Verratenen by Ursula Poznanski (Camaho)

English (358)  Spanish (4)  Piratical (1)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (365)
I originally bought Divergent and Insurgent on a buy one get one half price deal from a local Waterstones bookshop, and if I hadn't got the two of them at once, I most likely would never have picked up Insurgent after being less than thrilled with Divergent.

As it turned out, I did actually like Insurgent a little better. I think it was because there was more world building, and you got to see more of how the other Factions functioned, and the plot was more developed than just Faction training.

I didn't actually like Triss much at all in this book, considering how bad ass she was at the end of the first one, I found her very wooden in this book. And I still don't buy the romance with her and Tobias at all. Its a little weird, even though I wasn't all that blown away with the main character, I thought it was a much better plot than the first book.

And I was never going to bother with the final book, but now I have to know how the whole thing ends. ( )
  sunset_x_cocktail | Aug 20, 2014 |
I liked this book better than Divergent. The writing just seemed smoother, and things made more sense. It still seemed to me that Roth was struggling to get some of her points across, and it seemed rather repetitive in places, but there's some interesting stuff here and it's an easy read. ( )
  sammii507 | Aug 19, 2014 |
Had a really hard time getting into this one. ( )
  Mirandalg14 | Aug 18, 2014 |
*No spoilers.

Immediate reaction after reading the last word:

Holy shit. My heart nearly thumped right outta my chest at the end.

After some reflection:

This book was okay, but it didn’t have the same shine as Divergent. Again, I thought I had things figured out, but Roth kept throwing me for a loop. This and the first book were definitely action-packed and fast-paced. There was no time to get bored, because just as you’d be getting comfortable, the rug would be pulled out from under you and off the story would go.

Tris. Oy. I was on the fence about her in Divergent, although I thought she was mostly likeable. In this book, she really kinda fell apart. She was an emotional wreck. I get it. Your world is in shambles and it’s not easy to keep it together, but the contrast between Divergent’s Can-Do-No-Wrong Tris and Insurgent’s Can’t-Do-Shit Tris was too great. It occurred to me that maybe the author did this purposefully (I know that sounds stupid, but ya know what I mean) and she just went a little overboard. There were many times that I just wanted to shake the shit outta Tris and yell at her to get it together, bitch! She acted out of character often and that threw me off. A lot.

Tobias (ugh, that name is horrid) was a conundrum to me. Half of the time, I thought he was so awesome and I knew where he was coming from, but then he’d screw our love, I mean, their love up and turn my world upside down. I just wanted them to get it together. Too much turmoil for my cold, little heart.

I still liked this book. It wasn’t as good as Divergent and by no means is it a masterpiece, but I had so much fun reading it. I’ve had an inkling of where the story was heading and at the very end, my notion was confirmed, but there was a twist and that has left me ridiculously excited for book 3. Which is eons away. Fucking sniffle.
  JennyJen | Aug 14, 2014 |
I loved this one too! Can't wait to read the next one!! ( )
  Tiffy83 | Aug 11, 2014 |
I won't write a spoiler here, but Veronica Roth really has a way of wrapping up the end of the story while leaving the reader gasping at the revelation, and desperate to read more.

Veronica Rothprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Galvin, EmmaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Like a wild animal, the truth is too powerful to remain caged.

-From the Candor faction manifesto
To Nelson,

who was worth every risk
I wake with his name in my mouth.

Tris Prior survives the Erudite simulation attacks that occur during the time she expected to be celebrating her achievement of being ranked first among the initiate class of her chosen faction, Dauntless. Even though the Dauntless have been freed from Erudite mind control, a war develops and secrets emerge.

"As war surges in the dystopian society around her, sixteen-year-old Divergent Tris Prior must continue trying to save those she loves--and herself--while grappling with haunting questions of grief and forgiveness, identity and loyalty, politics and love"--… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,159,536 books! | Top bar: Always visible