Insurgent by Veronica Roth

Insurgent (2013)

by Veronica Roth

Series: Divergent (2)

5,438419796 (3.89)296
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (Anonymous user)
    Incarceron by Catherine Fisher (peptastic)
    The Maze Runner by James Dashner (Waterbuggg)
    Waterbuggg: Both books are action-packed and have a similar premise and secret.
    XVI by Julia Karr (kathleen.morrow)
    kathleen.morrow: Both are well-written dystopians with complicated and developed female protagonists and excellent plotting.
    The Iron Butterfly by Chanda Hahn (SayoC)
    Die Verratenen by Ursula Poznanski (Camaho)

English (409)  Spanish (3)  Piratical (1)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (416)
The dauntless girl and boy are still at it. Tris and Four will never stop. They will fight of what's right. They will go all the way to the end, to make the world a better place. They want no more factions killing each other. No more of their friends die without a fight.niether one of then die without a fight either. So they have to watch their backs every step of the way.

Insurgent is another one of the Divergent series books. This one still gave me chills. I didn't want this book to end. It got really good at the end. But it was still good in the beginning and middle. But not as good as he end. I almost threw the Book across the room when it ended. Hopefully Alligent it awesome. Alligent has to be an awesome book to end the series. ( )
  trinety.b4 | Mar 20, 2015 |
This isn't a review, except to say this book was disappointing. It's full of holes and jumps and much too much crying.
My question is: Who runs the trains? In the first book they just raced around so the Dauntless could jump on and off. Schedule? Freight? Passenger service? ( )
  GreenieGirl | Mar 15, 2015 |
Excellent plot but I continue to be disappointed with the quality of the writing and the sappiness of the teen romance. I'm looking forward to the second movie! ( )
  aliepa | Mar 14, 2015 |
The second installment in the Divergent series picks up right where the first book left off. Tris and Tobias go to the Amity compound to recover from the simulation attack on the Abnegation. When the Erudite and Dauntless traitors arrive to look for them though, the couple narrowly escapes and returns to the city. However, Jeanine Matthews, the Erudite leader, intends to eliminate all Divergent and control the rest of the population. While Tris and Tobias try to find allies to stop the Erudite, they still struggle with grief over what happened and at the same time wonder who they can trust. Will they be able to thwart Jeanine’s plans? What will be the cost they have to pay if they succeed?

I decided to read Insurgent before the movie goes out, and I was certainly not disappointed. This action-packed sequel to Divergent was an entertaining read. In fact, I had trouble putting it down. Surprising alliances and betrayals made for great suspense. In addition, the main characters are believable in spite of the extreme circumstances they find themselves in, especially Tris, a complex and flawed teenager. I must admit though that the trust issues between Tris and Tobias were getting a bit tiring after a while. However, the ending certainly makes you want to know what happens next, and I can’t wait to read the third book in the series.

To read the full review, please go to my blog (Cecile Sune - Book Obsessed). ( )
  cecile.sune | Mar 13, 2015 |
I loved Divergent. It was everything a book should be: smart, philosophical, funny and sad in all the right places. Although the premise was a bit unlikely, the world building was first-rate, and I was able to willingly suspend my disbelief long enough to enjoy the book.

However, there was something wrong with the ending. While a war between the factions was entirely likely, it just seemed a bit...rushed. Like the author had all of these cool things she wanted to write about and couldn't be bothered to wait until it made sense to introduce them, so she skipped all of the boring build-up and got right down to it. I hoped Insurgent would be better.

For the first half, it was. Roth took us to the other factions' compounds, and we got a glimpse of what their daily life is like. There were moments of raw beauty and power, like when Tris witnesses an Amity religious service, or when Tris and Tobias are interrogated by Candor. There were moments of chilling horror as well, like when a certain faction leader is executed. Those moments were when Roth's writing really shone.

Sadly, I don't think Roth recognized these moments for the gems that they were. As she is her own person, I understand that. Sometimes, readers and writers like different things. The trick is to craft each scene as if it were your favourite, even if you hate it: to polish each scene to perfection. Unfortunately, Roth did not do this. She seemed impatient to get to "the good stuff." While this would be fine if the "good stuff" was as good as she seemed to think it was, it wasn't. The scenes Roth seemed to enjoy writing the most were often the most illogical.

*The following section contains spoilers.*

Take Erudite's big plan, for instance. Jeanine has infected a third to a half of the Dauntless with a serum that basically allows her to control their minds for a short time. Imagine what a ruthless dictator could do with a weapon like that. This isn't the simulation serum Erudite used to make the Dauntless attack Abnegation, kids; this is something far stronger. We see Jeanine speak through two Dauntless (telling Tris that Jeanine will kill two Dauntless every two days until the Divergent surrender) and then force them to throw themselves off a building. Given that introduction, the opening act is going to be pretty intense, right?

Wrong. That's all Jeanine uses it for. She doesn't force the Dauntless to attack each other, thus thinning the ranks of loyal Dauntless. She doesn't access all of them at once and have them capture Tris and Tobias and bring them to the Erudite compound. Nope. She just has them deliver their message and then kills them. Well, she kills one. Tris catches Hector, an eight-year-old boy who is Lynn’s sister, before he falls. For the rest of the book, she chooses to remember it as the time she "chose not to save Marlene." That doesn't ring true, Roth: a real person would remember it as the time they "couldn't save Marlene," "didn't make it in time," or even "saved Hector but lost Marlene."

It gets worse: After that "attack," Tris catches a train to the Erudite compound. Alone. With the full intention of giving herself up to experimentation--which will only increase Jeanine's power, as she has said to her that her goal is to learn how to control the Divergent--and eventual death. She doesn't even think of telling her friends, who would gladly suit up, arm themselves, and mount a surprise attack on Erudite to avenge the death of one of their own. She doesn't consider the fact that Erudite didn't implant the serum in all Dauntless; those could easily be left back at the compound behind three feet of reinforced steel to keep them from causing any damage, should Jeanine choose to activate said implants. No, Tris decides she's going to "die like the Abnegation" and makes the "selfless" choice to give herself up.

So Jeanine experiments on her. She puts Tris under simulation after simulation, but Tris sees each one for what it is. This sends Jeanine into orbit, who then decides that Tris is going to be executed the next morning. Now, I had heard something about a fantastic twist that no one saw coming, so when I got to this part, I thought Tris was going to die. I actually got excited. How would Roth carry the rest of the series, without Tris to narrate? Would she shift the viewpoint to Tobias, or maybe another Dauntless like Lynn? Unfortunately, Roth didn't even attempt this twist. Peter (yes, Peter, the traitor Dauntless who is now with Erudite, the Peter who stabbed Edward in the eyeball in the last book, and who tried to kill Tris so he could rise to the top) switches the death serum (they call it that) with a paralysation serum (they call it that too) and rigs the heart monitor to flat line right about the time the death serum (seriously, Roth? could you have given it a more stupid name?) will take effect. Wow! I had no idea Erudite faction's equipment was so easily tampered with! How incredibly convenient for our plucky young heroine! How wonderfully coincidental that Peter would have a change of heart just in time to save our narrator's life!

I could go on about the lack of logic involved with Tobias surrendering himself and telling Tris about a rescue operation that's going to take place in two weeks, but I want to skip ahead to the part where Tris and a few others invade the Erudite compound AGAIN, this time so they can help Marcus (yes, that Marcus) steal the information the Priors died for.

First, Tris doesn't stop to think that maybe Marcus is lying to her. He's lied about a lot of stuff so far, but he chooses to tell the truth now, and Tris automatically believes him.

Second, she doesn't tell Tobias or anyone else that they're going to be helping Marcus while everyone else is attacking the compound. She could have just said "Hey, Tobias. Listen, the Erudite have this information. My parents died trying to get it, and it's probably really important for the rest of us, too. So if you could just give us some cover and explain this to the Dauntless authorities when it's all over, I'd really appreciate it." Nope, she just angsts about how what she's doing is treason to Tobias and Dauntless, and when it's over, she angsts about how now she's a traitor. And it all could have been avoided if she told the other Dauntless in the first place.

Third, they sneak in dressed like the Erudite. Including Tris, who had just spent a considerable amount of time at the compound being introduced to doctors and interns waiting to experiment on her, as well as passing countless Erudite who saw her face. And nobody recognizes her, because Erudite clothes are magic or something. So the geniuses of Erudite can’t recognise possibly the single most important girl in existence? And I thought Erudite was loaded with security cameras. Apparently not.

Fourth, Jeanine's office. It's heavily guarded, not by a spray of bullets (which would make the most sense) but by a computer system. Tris tries to enter, but a voice conveniently announces her name, age, faction, and the fact that she is "confirmed Divergent." It then plunges her into a simulation.

A simulation.

Just after spending the past five chapters learning that you can’t control the Divergent into a simulation.

Anyway, Tris makes it past the simulation. Naturally. If I were Jeanine, I would have set it up so that if an intruder is confirmed Divergent, they would be subjected to a hail of bullets, an RPG, or another reliable instrument of death. But Jeanine was apparently created by someone who was not Erudite, and thus did not fully understand what the term "applying logic to a situation" means.

The ending twist isn't as good as I heard it was. So the city was designed to be a utopia. When the Divergent began appearing, the city was supposed to give the keys to Amity, unlock the gates, and go forth into the big bad world and save it with their awesome utopian powers. Okay...so if this was supposed to be a utopia, why divide people into factions where they embrace the most simplistic lines of thinking? Why would people who can think along multiple lines be so special that they would need to open the city gates? Why would they erase the memories of people who decided to join this utopia? If they had memory-erasing technology, why hasn't Jeanine gotten hold of it and used it to control the city, which is apparently what she's dreamed about ever since she was a little girl?

And with that, the book ends.
But the book wasn’t completely filled with logical fallacies, and I think what really made the book pick itself off the ground was Roth’s way with words. She creates such a strong, vivid image of everything that happens, thus creating an immersive experience. I ended up reading this book twice before making this review reading it the first time round was great! It was only after I had read it a second time that all these logical fallacies were thrown in my face. So unless you are a very perceptive first-time reader, you should enjoy it the first time round.
I would recommend this book to readers aged 12-30 and I would rate this book 3 stars. ( )
  8EN4 | Mar 7, 2015 |
I won't write a spoiler here, but Veronica Roth really has a way of wrapping up the end of the story while leaving the reader gasping at the revelation, and desperate to read more.

Veronica Rothprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Galvin, EmmaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Like a wild animal, the truth is too powerful to remain caged.

-From the Candor faction manifesto
To Nelson,

who was worth every risk
I wake with his name in my mouth.

Tris Prior survives the Erudite simulation attacks that occur during the time she expected to be celebrating her achievement of being ranked first among the initiate class of her chosen faction, Dauntless. Even though the Dauntless have been freed from Erudite mind control, a war develops and secrets emerge.

"As war surges in the dystopian society around her, sixteen-year-old Divergent Tris Prior must continue trying to save those she loves--and herself--while grappling with haunting questions of grief and forgiveness, identity and loyalty, politics and love"--… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,136,879 books! | Top bar: Always visible