Insurgent by Veronica Roth

Insurgent (2013)

by Veronica Roth

Series: Divergent (2)

Recently added byvballnerd16, DBReads, private library, DebNguyen, MABoone, StephanieNicole
2012 (70) 2013 (66) 2014 (37) adventure (43) Chicago (69) Divergent (54) dystopia (288) dystopian (204) ebook (66) factions (23) family (39) fantasy (63) fiction (180) future (21) identity (23) Kindle (59) post-apocalyptic (30) read (53) read in 2012 (44) read in 2013 (38) romance (70) science fiction (226) series (97) survival (22) teen (55) to-read (124) war (35) YA (182) young adult (261) young adult fiction (35)
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (Anonymous user)
    Incarceron by Catherine Fisher (peptastic)
    The Maze Runner by James Dashner (Waterbuggg)
    Waterbuggg: Both books are action-packed and have a similar premise and secret.
    XVI by Julia Karr (kathleen.morrow)
    kathleen.morrow: Both are well-written dystopians with complicated and developed female protagonists and excellent plotting.
    Die Verratenen by Ursula Poznanski (Camaho)
    The Iron Butterfly by Chanda Hahn (SayoC)

English (342)  Spanish (3)  Piratical (1)  German (1)  All languages (347)
A decent continuation of the Divergent plot but not as compelling as the first novel.

My main complaint about this novel is that Tris is a passive observer thorough large chunks of the story. I wanted her to take charge more often and have it be her story, not just the story of future, dystopian Chicago. The back-and-forth trust issues and insecurities in her relationship with Tobias grew tiresome too. ( )
  StephanieNicole | Jul 10, 2014 |
I did not know if I would like this book or not given that it was so popular with the younger readers. However, I was pleasantly surprised. This Utopian style world in which they are living in is truly thought provoking with very interesting sects and behaviors. An excellent story that involves the battle of good and evil rolled into a love story makes it intriguing enough to keep you both on your seat and guessing the entire way. I could not wait to get to the next book. ( )
  ShadowRhelm | Jul 9, 2014 |
Insurgent seems to continue from exactly where Divergent left off, so for those of us who read Divergent a long time ago and don't really remember... not so good. There is no recap of any kind, so I spent the first ¼ of the book being really confused. I finally sort of figured out what was going on in this one, but it still bothers/ed me that there was no recap to remind me of what happened in Divergent. This is why I am not doing a synopsis with this review. Well, maybe I'll attempt this: everyone seems to be double-crossing everyone else, including some of the factionless.

All the double-crossing made for lots going on in the book, and so I am rating it 3.5 (good), but I was still somewhat confused through a portion of the book. I bought the first two books, but won't be buying the third. This one ended on a cliffhanger, so I might still read the 3rd one, but it'll come from the library. I hope the author gives a bit of a recap in that one, as a reminder. ( )
  LibraryCin | Jul 8, 2014 |
Like other reviews, I have to echo that this seemed like a different Tris. Not as much happened and she spent a lot of time in her head. There were a few plot twists that were kind if fun, though, so on to Book 3! ( )
  reginacorley | Jul 8, 2014 |
I wanted to like this book. I tried to like this book. I did not even like Four in this book and Tris just worked my reading nerve. Here is the thing, I will most likely read the last book in the series because I want to see how the author resolves the series. Why do heroines have to be non-logical? Why does this girl never think? Why is it I wanted Four to walk away from her? Why did I rejoice that I did not have to purchase this book because it is popular so I knew I could borrow it from the library. Don't even get me started with my feelings regarding the train or the flaws I have with the factions. I think the series reached a closure point with this one but I will find out when I complete the third installment. None of these characters are like-able not even the ones you previously thought were a possibility. Is there some law that states young adult dystopian novels have to cause a gag reflect in the reader. Yeah I know some people love this series and that is there right but me not so much. My flaw is I am a junkie who wants to know the ending. ( )
  vtlucania | Jul 5, 2014 |
I won't write a spoiler here, but Veronica Roth really has a way of wrapping up the end of the story while leaving the reader gasping at the revelation, and desperate to read more.

Veronica Rothprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Galvin, EmmaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Like a wild animal, the truth is too powerful to remain caged.

-From the Candor faction manifesto
To Nelson,

who was worth every risk
I wake with his name in my mouth.

Tris Prior survives the Erudite simulation attacks that occur during the time she expected to be celebrating her achievement of being ranked first among the initiate class of her chosen faction, Dauntless. Even though the Dauntless have been freed from Erudite mind control, a war develops and secrets emerge.

"As war surges in the dystopian society around her, sixteen-year-old Divergent Tris Prior must continue trying to save those she loves--and herself--while grappling with haunting questions of grief and forgiveness, identity and loyalty, politics and love"--… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,254,473 books! | Top bar: Always visible