Insurgent by Veronica Roth

Insurgent (2013)

by Veronica Roth

Series: Divergent (2)

4,997391909 (3.92)284
Recently added byprivate library, amymyoung, olivianicole, murphyrules, aquaAnnajustme
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (Anonymous user)
    Incarceron by Catherine Fisher (peptastic)
    The Maze Runner by James Dashner (Waterbuggg)
    Waterbuggg: Both books are action-packed and have a similar premise and secret.
    XVI by Julia Karr (kathleen.morrow)
    kathleen.morrow: Both are well-written dystopians with complicated and developed female protagonists and excellent plotting.
    The Iron Butterfly by Chanda Hahn (SayoC)
    Die Verratenen by Ursula Poznanski (Camaho)

English (384)  Spanish (3)  Piratical (1)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (391)
Wasn't as thrilled with this one as I was the first. I began to predict some of the characters' decisions and the big twist was obvious...but somewhat well executed. I want to see how the author fixes this. ( )
  LadyLiz | Nov 25, 2014 |
Could have been three stars but the first half of the book is so terribly slow.

This is clearly a "second book," and not a stand-alone in any way. It does little except move the plot forward a bit for what could be a very interesting conclusion to Roth's trilogy.

ALSO: If you haven't read Divergent in a year, I highly recommend you read a quick synopsis of what happened. Insurgent expects to you remember all of the plot points, minor characters, political back story, relationship dynamics, etc, and does a horrible job of reminding you what happened. You can piece it together but it's highly distracting. ( )
  redrabbit | Nov 25, 2014 |
I read Divergent a million years ago it seems (just after it's release) and adored it. I forgot about it until Allegient came out and then the movie so I watched the movie and remembered why I loved Divergent so I had to go read Insurgent right away. It wasn't perfect but it was still pretty good. There were some massive plot holes here and there but the book was okay and did pretty well for a trilogy middle novel. I enjoyed it.

After reading reviews for Allegient I won't be reading it as I did enjoy these first two novels and I don't want to ruin them. I hope the movie franchise can save the series and turn the ending into what it should be. Never thought I would say that. ( )
  mojo09226 | Nov 21, 2014 |
I'm so pleased, this book was just as well-written as the first one--great flow, great continuity. I'm really happy with how this one ended, and am anxious to start the last one in the series! ( )
  trayceetee | Nov 15, 2014 |
I enjoyed Book II more than Book I. I felt the author had a better grasp on the world and the characters in Insurgent. Quite a few people have criticized the series because they feel a lack of realism.

The argument being that no parents would allow their children to do half the things the kid characters do in these books—but if you think about it, that’s part of the world itself. It’s part of the world-building that the author sets up. This is a dystopia where teenagers can be considered adults and can act any way they wish (if they are Dauntless).

Some reviewers felt that the series has been unrealistic because of the cruelty dished out by teenagers against others, but teenagers can be just as ruthless and relentless in their bullying, sexual assaults, and violence in general as adults can. If anything, I think that makes this series more realistic.

Read the full review here: www.ravenoak.net ( )
  kaonevar | Nov 12, 2014 |
I won't write a spoiler here, but Veronica Roth really has a way of wrapping up the end of the story while leaving the reader gasping at the revelation, and desperate to read more.

Veronica Rothprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Galvin, EmmaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Like a wild animal, the truth is too powerful to remain caged.

-From the Candor faction manifesto
To Nelson,

who was worth every risk
I wake with his name in my mouth.

Tris Prior survives the Erudite simulation attacks that occur during the time she expected to be celebrating her achievement of being ranked first among the initiate class of her chosen faction, Dauntless. Even though the Dauntless have been freed from Erudite mind control, a war develops and secrets emerge.

"As war surges in the dystopian society around her, sixteen-year-old Divergent Tris Prior must continue trying to save those she loves--and herself--while grappling with haunting questions of grief and forgiveness, identity and loyalty, politics and love"--… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,038,353 books! | Top bar: Always visible