Insurgent by Veronica Roth

Insurgent (2013)

by Veronica Roth

Series: Divergent (2)

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (Anonymous user)
    Incarceron by Catherine Fisher (peptastic)
    The Maze Runner by James Dashner (Waterbuggg)
    Waterbuggg: Both books are action-packed and have a similar premise and secret.
    XVI by Julia Karr (kathleen.morrow)
    kathleen.morrow: Both are well-written dystopians with complicated and developed female protagonists and excellent plotting.
    The Iron Butterfly by Chanda Hahn (SayoC)
    Die Verratenen by Ursula Poznanski (Camaho)

English (424)  Spanish (2)  Piratical (1)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (430)
* THERE WILL BE MANY SPOILERS FOR DIVERGENT, SO IF YOU HAVEN'T READ THE FIRST BOOK OF THE SERIES, THEN DON'T READ THIS REVIEW.

Insurgent was an amazing thrill ride. I still feel goosebumps after finishing it almost 13 hours ago.

If I were to compare Insurgent to Divergent , I'd have to say that the former kicked the latter's ass.

Divergent, with its 487 pages, introduces us to a post apocalypic world divided into factions. It shows us the world of Beatrice Prior, a 16 year old girl that abandons her selfless faction and goes to a dangerous and fearless one. She doesn't make this choice lightly, as she is a Divergent, which naturally means that her mind doesn't conform. Beatrice, renaiming herself as Tris, quickly adapts to the Dauntless faction, becoming one of the highest ranking initiates there, but when she realizes that there's a conspiracy occuring that may just put her life at risk, she has to rely on her instincts to survive. This book was an action-packed story, but had more of an.. introductory feel.

Whereas, Insurgent, with its 525 pages, kicks into action right from the very first sentence. I was captivated almost immediately, my eyes flying over the pages as the story progressed.

We see Tris as a more vulnerable character, in contrast with the first book. She's fragile, broken because of the deaths of her parents and Will. Tris isn't perfect, and this book showed that perfectly.

We also see Tris and Tobias's relationship intensify, but also become rocky (and really, when you're facing a conspiracy and your life is being threatened, how can it not?).

All the "plot holes" in the first Divergent book are quickly dispelled. We are answered all the questions that arose when Divergent finished, but about 50 more arise after Insurgent finised.

This book was really poetic and raw. All of Tris's emotions were laid bare. There's an aching gap in my heart from reading this. I really believe this book was full of a lot of "angst" and self sacrificing moments from Tris, that maybe was taking on more than she should have.

After all, Tris is just 16 years old, and she was taking on so many things at the time.

Another aspect I really loved from this book was the amazing character growth. We not only see Tris maturing, but we see all new kinds of characters mature and take responsible choices.

This book will toy with your emotions like you have no idea. You'll find yourself siding with the bad guys and doubting the good guys. You'll see people dying. You'll maybe even cry when you find out an important secret revealed. I did .

Insurgent was a literary [for lack of a better word] mindfuck. The ending will leave you shocked. I've never thought there could be such a big cliffhanger with suck a short last sentence. The last sentence is only 5 words. 5 WORDS! And I am still shocked at it.

I cannot believe it ended like it did. I am seriously afraid of reading book 3, as I don't really know how Veronica Roth can top this book. I trust her though, so I have some hope left.

If it wasn't obvious already, I give this book An infinite amount of stars! 5 stars.

mariannelee_0902 | Jul 1, 2015 |
A big let down. TERRIBLE metaphors all through the first few chapters of the book. The story wanders around. Characters splash back and forth, doing things that seem random, making choices based on things the author TELLS us. Violence and lust are tossed in to prop up the story, but aren't believable and don't work. This novel hangs around the neck of the first, hoping to use the heat of the original to fuel it. It fails. ( )
  DL_Orton | Jun 29, 2015 |
Continues the story well. Not sure I actually like the characters but the story twists are good. ( )
  libgirl69 | Jun 28, 2015 |
DRAMA! Things are getting intense. Specially towards the end. I simply cant wait to finish the last installment and definetely to watch the last 2 movies. ( )
  valesbookshelf | Jun 23, 2015 |
This second book in the series seems to continue and focus more on conflict than the first. It just about has constant action and one thing happens right after the other. ( )
  SebastianHagelstein | Jun 7, 2015 |
I won't write a spoiler here, but Veronica Roth really has a way of wrapping up the end of the story while leaving the reader gasping at the revelation, and desperate to read more.

Veronica Rothprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Galvin, EmmaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Like a wild animal, the truth is too powerful to remain caged.

-From the Candor faction manifesto
To Nelson,

who was worth every risk
I wake with his name in my mouth.

Tris Prior survives the Erudite simulation attacks that occur during the time she expected to be celebrating her achievement of being ranked first among the initiate class of her chosen faction, Dauntless. Even though the Dauntless have been freed from Erudite mind control, a war develops and secrets emerge.

"As war surges in the dystopian society around her, sixteen-year-old Divergent Tris Prior must continue trying to save those she loves--and herself--while grappling with haunting questions of grief and forgiveness, identity and loyalty, politics and love"--… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,930,150 books! | Top bar: Always visible