Insurgent (Divergent) by Veronica Roth

Insurgent (Divergent) (original 2013; edition 2012)

by Veronica Roth

Member:RoeschLeisure
Title:Insurgent (Divergent)
Authors:Veronica Roth
Info:Katherine Tegen Books (2012), Hardcover, 544 pages
Tags:fiction, young adult, scifi, dystopia, Divergent

Insurgent by Veronica Roth (2013)

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (Anonymous user)
    Incarceron by Catherine Fisher (peptastic)
    The Maze Runner by James Dashner (Waterbuggg)
    Waterbuggg: Both books are action-packed and have a similar premise and secret.
    XVI by Julia Karr (kathleen.morrow)
    kathleen.morrow: Both are well-written dystopians with complicated and developed female protagonists and excellent plotting.
    The Iron Butterfly by Chanda Hahn (SayoC)
    Die Verratenen by Ursula Poznanski (Camaho)

English (373)  Spanish (4)  Piratical (1)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (381)
SPOILERS!!! I love this book! Tris in this book is still torn over the deaths of her parents and Will. She's contently putting herself in danger, which usually doesn't involve a gun.

Tobias is awesome! He doesn't like the fact that Tris keeps running into danger. Tris and Tobias fight a lot in this book, which I wasn't so happy about. I didn't want them to fight. It was painful to read. But they both made very good points.

And we can't forget Uriah, Marlene, and Lynn. Uriah was amazing as always. I'm really happy we get to see more of him in this book. I love him! I like that we see more of Marlene and Lynn. I love the part when Uriah and Marlene kiss! I started shipping them but then Veronica Roth threw that ship out the window (so not okay!). When I first read Divergent I did not like Lynn; she did not make a good first impression on me. But by this book I started to like her a little over the course of this book. I like that she started treating Tris like she was Dauntless, she kind of treats her as an equal. Which I liked.

I also really love Zeke and Shauna! I ship them hard. We also got to see a little bit more of Tori in this book.

And Caleb easily became one of my least favorite characters of the series.

This book was amazing, but I don't like that a few of my favorite characters died. Really, Veronica Roth? Really?! ( )
  barbiekait | Oct 16, 2014 |
**S*P*O*I*L*E*R**
Do not read further if you don’t want to have parts of this novel revealed. I really enjoy Roth’s writing style, and I have to say that while the plot is not wholly original, she has added some intricate twist and some wonderful details to the idea of taking a society in crisis and then isolating some of the population to try and rediscover the best in people. While the first book leads you to believe that the faction culture is the dystopian society, we realize in this book that while they may be, this society was created to be the salvation for a culture that we can only assume is even more dysfunctional. Roth closes out the book leaving us with many questions: can the Divergent save humanity and restore civilization? Now that the factions have been overthrown, is the new culture and government being created by the factionless any better than the ones they have replaced? And while I believe that Roth has created an innovative and intricately woven plot, it is really her characterizations that make the books. She invites the reader into the lives of her characters and asks us to identify with them, for there is some of each of us in all of her characters. As Tris reflects several times, no one is wholly good or wholly bad. Roth asks us to consider if segregation can ever be good, even with the best of intentions. She asks us to consider the makeup and exercise of power and reflects on the ability of power to corrupt, but also on the ability of power to attract the corruptible. This is a wonderfully crafted book that draws the reader through it with ease and grace so that the final page cannot come quickly enough, but at the same time comes too soon. ( )
  Al-G | Oct 10, 2014 |
Beatrice Prior is a 16 year old girl with a team of the Good Dauntless side. She fights against ( )
  Azoraw91.G1 | Oct 9, 2014 |
Dystopian, Young Adult

Tris Prior is finding that every choice can both transform you and has consequences. Tris is trying to save those she loves and also herself as unrest surges in the factions. She is also grappling with haunting questions dealing with grief, forgiveness, identity and loyalty not to mention politics and love.

Tris’s initiation day should have been a day of celebration and victory with her new faction. Instead she had a day that ended in unspeakable horrors. Now war is looming as the conflict between the factions and their ideologies grow. With war coming sides need to be chosen and secrets are emerging and those choices will become even more irrevocable and more powerful. Tris has been transformed by her decisions and also the haunting grief and guilt she is dealing with. Not to mention the radical new discoveries and shifting relationships she is dealing with. Tris now must fully embrace her Divergence even when she doesn’t know what it will cost her by doing so.

This is proving to be an excellent trilogy that doesn’t let up on the action and suspense. With some romance it makes for a book that is very hard to put down. Readers get to see how the characters have changed from the first story to this one and how they are still the same in many ways. It will also have readers wanting to see just how this is going to turn out in the final book. The story gives a fascinating look of what ifs and a look at a different world while still being in places that readers can identify with. It is easy to see why this one was turned into a movie. This is one trilogy worth trying by readers of all ages. ( )
  lrhubble | Oct 8, 2014 |
In the aftermath of the Erudite’s co-option of the Dauntless and attack on Abnegation, Tris and Four leave the city and try to rally their forces against the Erudite’s brutal campaign. But what can Candor and Amity do against the Erudite’s technology and the Dauntless training? What can the Dauntless do when split against itself and at risk from the Erudite’s mind control?

Forces have to be rallied in the most unlikely of places, all the while dealing with the fallout of so much loss – and the terrible things Tris has had to do. And under it all is a creeping worry of what they will do – is it right to destroy the Erudite? Can society survive without them? Can it survive if the Erudite win? How can they win a war that seems to have no good outcomes?

In some ways this book continues and confirms my opinion of the world building from Divergent. The faction system is broken, it doesn’t make much sense, it’s not workable, not a useful tool for creating peace let alone one for creating a society that works. That’s not bad world building on the part of the author, that’s what we’re supposed to be seeing – this whole book, even more than Divergent is about showing the flaws of the system, the flaws of each faction and it inevitably breaking down.

Like we see the Amity faction which looks so peaceful and beautiful – and then realise it achieves this by constantly drugging everyone (which is actually an ongoing habit of the whole world – these ridiculous factions are held together with regular doping to avoid any common sense) and, of course, the flaw of Amity being so conflict averse is that their response to evil abuse is to put their hands over their ears and pretend it’s not happening. We see Candor’s honesty is truly merciless with no accounting for people’s pain or experiences – it’s also deeply and utterly impractical in any meaningful away. We see the factionless in their great numbers – there simply because of the deeply unjust system they operate on; not just the choosing. We’ve seen the Dauntless cruelty, but now see their ableism in discarding anyone who doesn’t fit their physical ideals – and the Erudite in their treatment of anyone who doesn’t match up to their intellectual standards

The factions only last because of constant drugging and a developed knee jerk hatred about every other faction so they constantly support their own without question for fear of being seen as disloyal or “unpatriotic.” Any attempt at thinking clearly and sensibly is clearly Erudite sympathies, any attempt to seek peace is cowardly Amity-ness etc etc. This system designed for peace only lasts because of the created conflict within each faction. Yet this conflict will inevitably lead to the war.

This is the underpinning feature of this series – this society is broken and that’s not bad writing, it’s the world itself.

I also appreciate that an effort was made to reverse the overwhelming condemnation of the Erudite and a final acknowledgement that their society would collapse without them – that without the technology the Erudite provide then no-one else would be able to live.

There are elements I do consider terrible world building – like Candor and Dauntless being pretty much useless society. Candor doesn’t seem to provide any valued service to the other factions (and if they do they needed to emphasise that more – especially since Divergent suggested they were the legal class) and Dauntless exists to protect them without actually any indication of what they’re protecting them from. Instead they’re a lot of weapon toting adrenaline junkies who could pull off a coup at any time because they’re the only faction who can fight.

I also have problems with the ending which I’m going to try and not spoil. But I can see why the Divergent, with their mental flexibility, adaptability and even empathy are a way forward for peace. I cannot see how the people-who-made-this-plan-who-will-remain-nameless expected the thing-they-created to be a good vehicle for achieving anything. It’s a little like someone saying “we need Divergent for peace! So we will throw cottage cheese at cats.” I can see the first part, I’m not quite sure what the second part has to do with anything. This doesn’t help that the ending is just plain awful anyway – this is the big secret? This is the secret worth starting a war over? This is what people were willing to die to defend?

There’s also some decent character development I liked (and some I didn’t). While Tris did spend a lot of this book moping, it was a pretty acceptable mope. She’d just lost most of her family (albeit she doesn’t actually spend that much time grieving for them) and she’s just been forced to kill someone who was a friend. I’m glad this had a lasting effect on her – I’m glad we do see trauma and this isn’t seen as weakness, it’s seen as a natural result of being traumatised

There’s also the conflict of being Divergent which I think is fairly well done. After all, Tris has aptitudes for 3 different factions – in a world where any deviation is regarded with suspicion at best and the prime way to show loyalty to your faction is to show contempt for the others and their traits. How can she embrace her natural curiosity when she loathes the Erudite so much? Is finding courage through selflessness a betrayal of her Dauntless faction ideals?

There’s a fair amount of good there. And then there’s the bad – Four. Not that Four is inherently a bad character per se, but Four and Tris’s romance is annoying, contrived, takes up a vast amount of space and is completely and utterly unnecessary to this book. We have a story here. We have a story in an interesting world with lots of epic battling against a broken society with lots of character growth and personal conflict. And all of it takes a back seat because of Four and Tris’s romance which we seem to spend a vast amount of really pointless time on – and it adds nothing to the story. Worse, it has a bad case of “second book romance” – you know when the first book is all “will they won’t they” (or, more likely, “when will they?”) and then it ends with them together? Well then you have a second book and you need to continue this story so – RANDOM CONFLICT HAPPENS. I see this in so many books with a heavy romance plot, they get together in the first book and then contrived reasons drive them apart in the second book so there can still be some convoluted conflict in the story.

Read More ( )
  FangsfortheFantasy | Oct 3, 2014 |
I won't write a spoiler here, but Veronica Roth really has a way of wrapping up the end of the story while leaving the reader gasping at the revelation, and desperate to read more.

Veronica Rothprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Galvin, EmmaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Like a wild animal, the truth is too powerful to remain caged.

-From the Candor faction manifesto
To Nelson,

who was worth every risk
I wake with his name in my mouth.

Tris Prior survives the Erudite simulation attacks that occur during the time she expected to be celebrating her achievement of being ranked first among the initiate class of her chosen faction, Dauntless. Even though the Dauntless have been freed from Erudite mind control, a war develops and secrets emerge.

"As war surges in the dystopian society around her, sixteen-year-old Divergent Tris Prior must continue trying to save those she loves--and herself--while grappling with haunting questions of grief and forgiveness, identity and loyalty, politics and love"--… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,328,176 books! | Top bar: Always visible