Insurgent (Divergent) by Veronica Roth

Insurgent (Divergent) (original 2013; edition 2012)

by Veronica Roth

Member:RoeschLeisure
Title:Insurgent (Divergent)
Authors:Veronica Roth
Info:Katherine Tegen Books (2012), Hardcover, 544 pages
Tags:fiction, young adult, scifi, dystopia, Divergent

Insurgent by Veronica Roth (2013)

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (Anonymous user)
    Incarceron by Catherine Fisher (peptastic)
    The Maze Runner by James Dashner (Waterbuggg)
    Waterbuggg: Both books are action-packed and have a similar premise and secret.
    XVI by Julia Karr (kathleen.morrow)
    kathleen.morrow: Both are well-written dystopians with complicated and developed female protagonists and excellent plotting.
    The Iron Butterfly by Chanda Hahn (SayoC)
    Die Verratenen by Ursula Poznanski (Camaho)

English (357)  Spanish (4)  Piratical (1)  German (1)  All languages (363)
*No spoilers.

Immediate reaction after reading the last word:

Holy shit. My heart nearly thumped right outta my chest at the end.

After some reflection:

This book was okay, but it didn’t have the same shine as Divergent. Again, I thought I had things figured out, but Roth kept throwing me for a loop. This and the first book were definitely action-packed and fast-paced. There was no time to get bored, because just as you’d be getting comfortable, the rug would be pulled out from under you and off the story would go.

Tris. Oy. I was on the fence about her in Divergent, although I thought she was mostly likeable. In this book, she really kinda fell apart. She was an emotional wreck. I get it. Your world is in shambles and it’s not easy to keep it together, but the contrast between Divergent’s Can-Do-No-Wrong Tris and Insurgent’s Can’t-Do-Shit Tris was too great. It occurred to me that maybe the author did this purposefully (I know that sounds stupid, but ya know what I mean) and she just went a little overboard. There were many times that I just wanted to shake the shit outta Tris and yell at her to get it together, bitch! She acted out of character often and that threw me off. A lot.

Tobias (ugh, that name is horrid) was a conundrum to me. Half of the time, I thought he was so awesome and I knew where he was coming from, but then he’d screw our love, I mean, their love up and turn my world upside down. I just wanted them to get it together. Too much turmoil for my cold, little heart.

I still liked this book. It wasn’t as good as Divergent and by no means is it a masterpiece, but I had so much fun reading it. I’ve had an inkling of where the story was heading and at the very end, my notion was confirmed, but there was a twist and that has left me ridiculously excited for book 3. Which is eons away. Fucking sniffle.
  JennyJen | Aug 14, 2014 |
I loved this one too! Can't wait to read the next one!! ( )
  Tiffy83 | Aug 11, 2014 |
WOOOW!!!

I am still in love with this series.

A lot of questions where answer in my opinion. The end was definitely something i was not expecting but it cleared quiet a few stuff. IT DOES tell you what is behind the gates (more or less), IT DOES tell you what they are doing inside the gates. A little bit of it is predictable but i am still interested in what is going to happen between Tris and Tobias, like I am really hoping they can spend their life together like Katniss and Petaa did.
I am beginning to like Peter a little bit more, like this book was FULL of suprises, like OMG CALEB!! i just can not wait to finish the seires and put it all together. ( )
  angie.arciba | Aug 9, 2014 |
ASDGFGHJKL! That ending is @##@*&%%%^$. This is me possessed.

This book made my heart beat faster than I could ever imagine. It's more incredible than Divergent.

I cried a lot of times and I just feel so sad to have finished it already. I'm left wanting for more. :(

“People, I have discovered, are layers and layers of secrets. You believe you know them, that you understand them, but their motives are always hidden from you, buried in their own hearts. You will never know them, but sometimes you decide to trust them.” ( )
  margaraawr | Aug 8, 2014 |
ASDGFGHJKL! That ending is @##@*&%%%^$. This is me possessed.

margaraawr | Aug 8, 2014 |
I won't write a spoiler here, but Veronica Roth really has a way of wrapping up the end of the story while leaving the reader gasping at the revelation, and desperate to read more.

Veronica Rothprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Galvin, EmmaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Like a wild animal, the truth is too powerful to remain caged.

-From the Candor faction manifesto
To Nelson,

who was worth every risk
I wake with his name in my mouth.

Tris Prior survives the Erudite simulation attacks that occur during the time she expected to be celebrating her achievement of being ranked first among the initiate class of her chosen faction, Dauntless. Even though the Dauntless have been freed from Erudite mind control, a war develops and secrets emerge.

"As war surges in the dystopian society around her, sixteen-year-old Divergent Tris Prior must continue trying to save those she loves--and herself--while grappling with haunting questions of grief and forgiveness, identity and loyalty, politics and love"--… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,118,488 books! | Top bar: Always visible