Insurgent: Collector's Edition…

Insurgent: Collector's Edition (Divergent) (original 2013; edition 2012)

by Veronica Roth

Member:AidaDee
Title:Insurgent: Collector's Edition (Divergent)
Authors:Veronica Roth
Info:Katherine Tegen Books (2012), Edition: Har/Pstr C, Hardcover, 592 pages
Rating:***

Insurgent by Veronica Roth (2013)

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (Anonymous user)
    Incarceron by Catherine Fisher (peptastic)
    The Maze Runner by James Dashner (Waterbuggg)
    Waterbuggg: Both books are action-packed and have a similar premise and secret.
    XVI by Julia Karr (kathleen.morrow)
    kathleen.morrow: Both are well-written dystopians with complicated and developed female protagonists and excellent plotting.
    The Iron Butterfly by Chanda Hahn (SayoC)
    Die Verratenen by Ursula Poznanski (Camaho)

English (396)  Spanish (3)  Piratical (1)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (403)
I can't really say if I like this one more than the first one or not. I probably feel about the same about both of them. They were entertaining to read at the time, but after some thought, don't hold up well. While this book works to explain the events that happened in the last book, I don't find it overly convincing or believable. Now before anybody gets on my case about complaining about the believability of a dystopian novel, let me explain my idea of what makes a good one.

The major thing, for me anyway, that makes dystopian novels great is the fact that some part of them is based on current issues. While crazy things happen that are destructive and horrifying, there is some inkling of the world that is imagined/how the world got to be that way that is similar to how our world works today. Like Orwell's Big Brother concept and how cameras and social media can track our every move as you read this. We can find a connection between our current events and the events of the dystopian world that makes the novel disturbing. To me, the dystopian novel should make us wonder to ourselves, "Is this where we are headed?". I didn't get that from this series.

There were also some glaring holes that would actually distract me from the story. Such as, why Tris and Four spend most of the book sneaking around and sometimes just walking straight into places that are supposedly on high alert for them. Did nobody send out a memo? Did nobody make a sketch of them and tell the guards that if they see someone that looks like that to arrest them? And this didn't just happen once or twice. This happened throughout the entire book! They never even disguised themselves! This was highly annoying and caused my eyes to roll.

Another thing that has been bothering me while reading this series is that I increasingly dislike Roth's writing. Her use of commas sometimes makes very little sense and often confuses the meaning to the sentence. (This can also be due to bad editing. Why did nobody catch these?) She also uses the word "breaths" instead of "breath" which often didn't flow well. While I don't believe it is technically wrong, it is jarring to read.

Overall, this was an okay book. It's a good fast read, but if you want something with more substance to it I would go with something else. There really isn't much to this one, and while there was some potential, I don't believe that this book is a good example of what dystopian novels can really achieve when done well. ( )
1 vote kell1732 | Jan 25, 2015 |
I wasn't crazy about this. It's holding on to its three stars by its toenails, because I did finish wanting to continue on to the last book--but, well, almost not. What first intrigued me about this series from the first book were the factions, which so reminded me of the Houses in Harry Potter and the implied critique of "sorting" people into groups with a few or one overriding value, and how those values can become corrupted. I also liked our action heroine/narrator Tris quite a bit, even if she at times didn't strike me as a very plausible teenager, nor is she as distinctive and appealing a character as say Rowling's Hermione or Collin's Katniss.

Overall, I wasn't thrilled with how Roth continued to develop the factions in this book, even if I did appreciate how she showed the dark side of most of them. But if I didn't particularly care for how Gryffindor-centric the Harry Potter books were--well, I'm out and out repelled by the Abnegation faction, Roth's answer to "What Would Jesus Do?" That may be the reason right there, since I'm no fan of Christianity even though I was raised in it--I'd never choose to live their way, and I'd resist being ruled under them. Although Roth does have some ambiguous and ruthless characters coming from Abnegation, I'm still left feeling we're supposed to embrace their ideals of selflessness. Moreover, about half-way through the book Tris acts in a way that embodies those ideals, in a way so stupid I almost slammed down the book and gave up. There was also another plot point in the book where supposedly brilliant people acted in a way stupid beyond belief. The series got a pass on that one only because a comment of one character implied not all was as it seemed, so I'm holding out hope it's explained in the last book.

Also, I have yet to fall in love with any of the characters, even though I'm sure Roth is only slightly less in love with her Tobias than Stephenie Meyer is with her Edward. At least neither Tobias nor his relationship with Tris is anywhere near as nauseating and dysfunctional as that central to the Twilight series and if Tris is no Hermione or Katniss, at least she's no Bella--for which, much thanks. (And Roth is a better writer than Meyer, even if not imo as striking and imaginative as Rowling or Collins.)

It is at least an easy fast read--and I was left just curious enough about the outside world about to be revealed to us I am now speeding through Allegiant. The friend who first brought this series to my attention says the series gets better, and Tris' arc is strong. We'll see if I find that true in the last book. ( )
  LisaMariaC | Jan 15, 2015 |
I have to admit that this one took me a little longer to get completely swept away. This does not mean that this book was in any way inferior to the first. Actually, I think the problem was that I had an idea of where I thought the characters were going and it didn't quite jibe with Veronica Roth. :-P That being said, by the midpoint in the book I was hooked again. This book was darker than the first (believe it or not) because the fight is not just about factions but about secrets. Those in the highest level of government know a secret and Abnegation was prepared to tell the entire population...until Erudite decided that it was too dangerous. That's what prompted the fighting (and Jeanine Matthews wanting to wield control over everyone). The Divergent, in particular, are impacted by this information but we won't know exactly to what extent until the next book in the series. Here we go again! ( )
  AliceaP | Jan 10, 2015 |
Why can't sequels be as good as the first book? Insurgent continues to have me on the edge of my seat. I love the characters and the twists/turns are very good. However, many parts of this sequel to Divergent, seem forced and I can't help but feel that Ms. Roth rushed things at the end. I'm still not sure how she got to the conclusion she did - I must have missed something. ( )
  sunnydrk | Jan 8, 2015 |
From deepening the plot line to developing the characters more...I must admit I am enjoying this series and very glad I did not stop reading after Divergent. Problems are constantly stirring up and getting to know more about the characters just drags one deeper into the world...cannot wait to see what the next book has in store.
  PhilipTroy | Jan 8, 2015 |
I won't write a spoiler here, but Veronica Roth really has a way of wrapping up the end of the story while leaving the reader gasping at the revelation, and desperate to read more.

Veronica Rothprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Galvin, EmmaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Like a wild animal, the truth is too powerful to remain caged.

-From the Candor faction manifesto
To Nelson,

who was worth every risk
I wake with his name in my mouth.

Tris Prior survives the Erudite simulation attacks that occur during the time she expected to be celebrating her achievement of being ranked first among the initiate class of her chosen faction, Dauntless. Even though the Dauntless have been freed from Erudite mind control, a war develops and secrets emerge.

"As war surges in the dystopian society around her, sixteen-year-old Divergent Tris Prior must continue trying to save those she loves--and herself--while grappling with haunting questions of grief and forgiveness, identity and loyalty, politics and love"--… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,151,031 books! | Top bar: Always visible