Insurgent: Collector's Edition…

Insurgent: Collector's Edition (Divergent) (original 2013; edition 2012)

by Veronica Roth

Member:AidaDee
Title:Insurgent: Collector's Edition (Divergent)
Authors:Veronica Roth
Info:Katherine Tegen Books (2012), Edition: Har/Pstr C, Hardcover, 592 pages
Rating:***

Insurgent by Veronica Roth (2013)

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (Anonymous user)
    Incarceron by Catherine Fisher (peptastic)
    The Maze Runner by James Dashner (Waterbuggg)
    Waterbuggg: Both books are action-packed and have a similar premise and secret.
    XVI by Julia Karr (kathleen.morrow)
    kathleen.morrow: Both are well-written dystopians with complicated and developed female protagonists and excellent plotting.
    The Iron Butterfly by Chanda Hahn (SayoC)
    Die Verratenen by Ursula Poznanski (Camaho)

English (367)  Spanish (4)  Piratical (1)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (375)
The scenario of having to shoot Will plays through Tris’ mind over and over again. Unable to forgive herself for his death, she sinks into a world of apathy, depression and fear. Read the rest of my review on my blog: http://shouldireaditornot.wordpress.com/2013/12/10/insurgent-veronica-roth/ ( )
  ShouldIReadIt | Sep 26, 2014 |
My mother is the only reason I managed to finish this book. She loved [b:Divergent|8306857|Divergent (Divergent, #1)|Veronica Roth|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1327873996s/8306857.jpg|13155899] and has just finished re-reading it but for some reason she wanted me to read this one first so I had to force myself to finish.

This time around I had no connection to the characters. They seemed drastically different. More juvenile with lots of sulking and ruminating on problems. Everything is seen through the lens of Tris and Four's relationship which acted as a means of constant personal conflict. I had no patience for the angst that came out of that conflict, or for Tris's new-found suicidal nature. I was here for the dystopia, for the tragedies, hard choices and sacrifices to be made. One of the few good scenes is when the Erudite deliver a message to the Divergent (which are more numerous than first thought), to Tris, via a kind of suicide note, and Tris is forced to make a split-second decision of who to save and who to sacrifice. That was startling and gruesome, and exactly what I was looking for.

As for Marcus the robot, Marcus the mouthpiece -I found his character difficult to comprehend. He's an empty character the reader is supposed to hate but it's hard to do so when he doesn't show emotion or react to anything despite being publicly beaten by his own son. He has no comeback. He says nothing. Why did he submit Four to repeated physical abuse? There's no answer because he doesn't acknowledge he did it or the accusations. Other than a hate figure, he's a mouthpiece for plot progression. Without him we wouldn't find out the secret to this dystopian dynamic.

Peter is an odd one. I guess you could say he's a frenemy -an enemy who can also be an ally under the right circumstances. I wonder how close he is to his family. Does he love them? Love seems an alien thing to him and now that he's been reunited with them, will he fight for them? Will he change?

As I grew closer to the last page and freedom, I swore if Roth introduced zombies outside "the fence" the book would meet the wall at lightning speed. It didn't happen but it was close.

The ending is drawn out and predictable, concluding with a revelation, plus cliffhanger. By now I just wanted this book to be over. I'm only mildly curious:

- As to what the revelation means in terms of the Factionless new world order.

- What the relationship is between Tris and this Edith Prior.

- About the significance of being divergent in light of this new information. How can that help whatever's left outside the fence?

Insurgent feels very padded. Not a lot happens for a long time. It needed to be tighter, punchier, be a more faithful continuation of [b:Divergent|8306857|Divergent (Divergent, #1)|Veronica Roth|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1327873996s/8306857.jpg|13155899]'s story and characters, and less about romantic entanglements. ( )
  Cynical_Ames | Sep 23, 2014 |
I DNF'd this with about a hundred pages left... I count it as read. I deserve to after wading through what I did. ( )
  autumnturner76 | Sep 22, 2014 |
Tris Prior has escaped out of the dire situation at the end of the first book Divergent with Four straight into another time of action-packed scenes where truth is not as it seems and enemies seem to change with every page. She goes forward dauntlessly to figure out the truth, to find some sort of absolution for her deeds in the last book, and to understand her society.

I almost feel guilty for giving this book 1 star because it's not a horrible book. But honestly, I just didn't like it. I probably never should have picked up this second book because I didn't really like the first book (which I read a while back) as well - but I was convinced by a friend who loved it and then I didn't want to drop the book halfway in.

I've been thinking about why I dislike this book and I think it stems primarily from my disbelief of the dystopian world and the characters within this world. It just doesn't ring true to me. I say this because of the inconsistencies in character. For example, the five different groups represent five different personality traits. These factions become stereotypes of whatever they portray and seem to have no other personality traits beyond that. It's like the Dauntless can't think logically unless they're divergent. It's as if all Erudite members must be extreme nerds. It's as if someone from Amity will never argue. It infuriates me because that is such a contradiction after you get to know the more crucial characters for the book who all have different personalities and quirks like good characters do. So then why are the rest of the people in factions so darn stereotypical? It's as if these people are normal (as seen from characters we get to know like Tris or Tobias or Christina), but then not normal (as seen from supporting characters like Uriah, Caleb, and many more).

So my conclusion is that Roth doesn't go far enough into this dystopian world. The characters are just too similar to people who wouldn't live in a dystopian world until she wants to make a point that the world is different. Then all of a sudden they turn a 180 and say a line that says something to the effect of "oh I can't think logically, I'm not an Erudite" or "only the Dauntless are gutsy, you're not so you're weak". It's not consistent!!! And that infuriates me.

Another thing that just kept bothering me was the amount of times Roth had to make the obvious and overt statements that indicate Tris is divergent in terms of Erudite. I honestly don't see how she is divergent at all besides asking a lot of questions. It seems the difference between someone who's divergent and who's not is just that they aren't affected by simulations rather than personality characteristics. Which kinda blows the whole premise out of the water.

The action was as fast paced as the last book. Unfortunately that was more of a negative than a plus for me because I felt most of the action had zero to no transition, jumping from love-scene to an argument with the brother, to discovering a new twist, to running out of Candor into Amity, to shooting someone, to etc etc etc. As much as I love action, it feels like there was no thought placed into Tris's actions, like the character was falling into plot points rather than directing the story through her actions.

Okay, those are my opinions of the book - but that doesn't mean Roth is a bad writer. On the contrary, I can definitely see why many love this book. It has a strong heroine, a bad-ass love interest, many plot twists, good hate-able villains, action and adventure, and mystery. Her grammar and sentence structure has no problems. Her scenes are cohesive. It's not a bad book. I just didn't like it.

So yes, I didn't like the book, so therefore one star.
Recommended for people who read the first book Divergent (if you liked it). I just personally wouldn't recommend it to anyone. ( )
  NineLarks | Sep 15, 2014 |

So yes, I didn't like the book, so therefore one star.
  NineLarks | Sep 15, 2014 |
I won't write a spoiler here, but Veronica Roth really has a way of wrapping up the end of the story while leaving the reader gasping at the revelation, and desperate to read more.

Veronica Rothprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Galvin, EmmaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Like a wild animal, the truth is too powerful to remain caged.

-From the Candor faction manifesto
To Nelson,

who was worth every risk
I wake with his name in my mouth.

Tris Prior survives the Erudite simulation attacks that occur during the time she expected to be celebrating her achievement of being ranked first among the initiate class of her chosen faction, Dauntless. Even though the Dauntless have been freed from Erudite mind control, a war develops and secrets emerge.

"As war surges in the dystopian society around her, sixteen-year-old Divergent Tris Prior must continue trying to save those she loves--and herself--while grappling with haunting questions of grief and forgiveness, identity and loyalty, politics and love"--… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,972,824 books! | Top bar: Always visible