Insurgent: Collector's Edition…

Insurgent: Collector's Edition (Divergent) (original 2013; edition 2012)

by Veronica Roth

Title:Insurgent: Collector's Edition (Divergent)
Authors:Veronica Roth
Info:Katherine Tegen Books (2012), Edition: Har/Pstr C, Hardcover, 592 pages

Insurgent by Veronica Roth (2013)

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (Anonymous user)
    Incarceron by Catherine Fisher (peptastic)
    The Maze Runner by James Dashner (Waterbuggg)
    Waterbuggg: Both books are action-packed and have a similar premise and secret.
    XVI by Julia Karr (kathleen.morrow)
    kathleen.morrow: Both are well-written dystopians with complicated and developed female protagonists and excellent plotting.
    The Iron Butterfly by Chanda Hahn (SayoC)
    Die Verratenen by Ursula Poznanski (Camaho)

English (497)  Spanish (4)  Dutch (2)  Piratical (1)  Italian (1)  German (1)  All languages (506)
Perhaps I shouldn't have but I watched the movie adaptation of this novel with my flatmate earlier this year before I read the book, and they are so different! I actually much prefer the movie, I prefer the characters of Tris and Tobias, and I prefer the way the plot is told. The only the element I preferred in the book was some of the extra characters that we don't see in the movie, especially the one's that Tris is friends with in the Dauntless faction especially. Characters like Lynn and Zeke who (if I remember the movie correctly) don't feature, or at least not very prominently. I liked these characters, and I liked the insights we got into other minor characters' backgrounds, like their families and siblings.
This novel is again told through Tris' point of view, and this was one of my main problems with the novel, Tris is a dislikeable narrator. Her voice irritated me, and this did sour my reading of the novel. On another point I had no idea that she was only 16, I presumed she was older, she doesn't really speak or act like a 16 year old at all! Her reckless behaviour and her keeping things from Tobias just to give the novel some drama was really irritating, I hate it when a couple in YA can't just tell each other things, and the excuse "I did it to protect them" drives me crazy!!!
I quite liked Tobias in this novel, I thought the struggle within him about his parents was very interesting to read about, and the element with his new fear added to my idea of his character, and gave us a better insight into him.
I did like how grief was depicted in this novel, Roth has a nice way of writing emotions and getting across how a character feels at a particular time. Tris' grief over certain characters deaths was well handled by the author, the way that grief affected her felt real and seemed realistic to how both she would react, and how many others would react too.
This is a very action packed sequel, which is good because it didn't feel like it was a filler book being used to set up plot points for the third book, it felt like a good book that could stand up on its own. The plot was fast paced throughout, this made the book a very quick read, and also left us with a nice cliff hanger for the last book in the series.
However I was disappointed with how Roth dealt with explaining the world she had created to the readers. I still have loads of unanswered questions and very little grasp of how the city came to be split into factions, and no idea how the rest of the world is set up. Perhaps these things will be explained in the third book, but I normally prefer to have some of my questions answered by the end of the second novel in a trilogy.
Overall I gave this novel 3/5 stars, I thought it was an ok sequel, but I was a little disappointed by certain elements of the novel. I will be reading the last novel in this series, however, and I will be posting a review in the coming weeks! ( )
  ACascadeofBooks | Oct 5, 2016 |
4 stars

Just as good as the first one. ( )
  JennysBookBag.com | Sep 28, 2016 |
I really loved this book - the action was non stop, the characters were well developed.... but.... I could not give the book five stars because of the continuously stupid decisions that Tris kept making. In the middle of the book, I had an overwhelming desire to jump into the story and kill Tris myself for her absolute stupidity. By the last quarter of the book, however, Tris seemed to recover some of her senses that the story progressed phenomenally. Great book and I can't wait to start Allegiant. ( )
  Bubamdk | Sep 9, 2016 |
I found Tris to be slightly less annoying than I found her to be in the first book. She can be reckless and only think about herself. She doesn't always think things through before jumping in and she doesn't think about the people who are in her life. I was extremely happy when she got called out on this behavior.
I greatly enjoyed this book, it started off slow and took almost half the book to pick up and allow you to see where the story was going. The past half of the book is more action packed and I had a hard time putting it down.
I would recommend reading the second book and being patient with it. I'm looking forward to seeing how the third book is delivered since I already know how the series ends. ( )
  haileymary | Sep 9, 2016 |
I really liked Divergent more than Insurgent, but it was pretty fun to read. Now I can't wait for some closure, because it literally was a gianormous cliffhanger there. ( )
  escapefromreality13 | Aug 25, 2016 |
I won't write a spoiler here, but Veronica Roth really has a way of wrapping up the end of the story while leaving the reader gasping at the revelation, and desperate to read more.

Roth, Veronicaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Galvin, EmmaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Like a wild animal, the truth is too powerful to remain caged.

-From the Candor faction manifesto
To Nelson,

who was worth every risk
I wake with his name in my mouth.

Tris Prior survives the Erudite simulation attacks that occur during the time she expected to be celebrating her achievement of being ranked first among the initiate class of her chosen faction, Dauntless. Even though the Dauntless have been freed from Erudite mind control, a war develops and secrets emerge.

"As war surges in the dystopian society around her, sixteen-year-old Divergent Tris Prior must continue trying to save those she loves--and herself--while grappling with haunting questions of grief and forgiveness, identity and loyalty, politics and love"--… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,691,934 books! | Top bar: Always visible