Insurgent: Collector's Edition…

Insurgent: Collector's Edition (Divergent) (original 2013; edition 2012)

by Veronica Roth

Member:AidaDee
Title:Insurgent: Collector's Edition (Divergent)
Authors:Veronica Roth
Info:Katherine Tegen Books (2012), Edition: Har/Pstr C, Hardcover, 592 pages
Rating:***

Insurgent by Veronica Roth (2013)

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (Anonymous user)
    Incarceron by Catherine Fisher (peptastic)
    The Maze Runner by James Dashner (Waterbuggg)
    Waterbuggg: Both books are action-packed and have a similar premise and secret.
    XVI by Julia Karr (kathleen.morrow)
    kathleen.morrow: Both are well-written dystopians with complicated and developed female protagonists and excellent plotting.
    The Iron Butterfly by Chanda Hahn (SayoC)
    Die Verratenen by Ursula Poznanski (Camaho)

English (474)  Spanish (3)  Piratical (1)  German (1)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (481)
Disappointing second book in trilogy. ( )
  fromthecomfychair | Feb 11, 2016 |
What happened to the awesome heroine we came to know and love in Divergent? What happened to the action-packed adventure? Why is this book suddenly the story of two angsty teenagers who apparently "love" each other but can't stand to be in the same room? What happened, Veronica Roth? WHAT HAPPENED?

Insurgent picks up right where Divergent left off. Literally. Exact same place. There's no recap of the action of the previous book, so if you, like me, took a little year-long break in between reading the two, you'll be more than a little confused. I had to enlist the help of a friend who'd just borrowed Divergent from me to figure out what the hell was going on. Just when I thought I'd gotten all the previous characters straight, a good number of new characters were thrown in. Talk about frustrating. But that, really, is a very minor problem compared to what happens later.

First of all, when did this series become a romance? One of the things I loved about Divergent was that, for once, the romance took a backseat to the action. Tris and Four were falling for each other, but it was secondary to her training, secondary to the fighting, secondary to everything else in the book. She didn't, like so many other main characters in YA novels, let him become the be-all and end-all of her world. Somehow that changes with Insurgent and this boy suddenly consumes her whole life. In the first few chapters, Tris and Tobias do little else than make out. As the book progresses, they do little else than argue and keep secrets and purposely ignore each other. Why can't Tris just tell Tobias about Will? Why does she decide to tell him while she's under truth serum, making him think she's then forced to tell him, rather than doing it of her own free will? Why does Tobias say he trusts Tris's opinions, and then shoot her down every time she disagrees with him? They act like such children, and it's completely out of character from the couple we saw previously. It's like Tris and Tobias have been taken over by different people. Or maybe like the author didn't feel continuity was important and just wanted to advance the ridiculous plot.

Now let me just ask how it's possible that Tris, an emotional, unreliable, whiny sixteen-year-old, is the only person in all of the factions who has more than one personality trait. Her friends attribute the fact that she can think AND take risks AND be selfless (OMG) to her being Divergent, but we don't see them running to any of the other Divergent for answers to their questions. Only Tris. Are we really to believe that just because someone is Abnegation, they can't figure out the answer to a simple question? That just because someone is Dauntless, they could never possibly do anything for less than selfish reasons? That just because someone is Erudite, they could never do anything that comes with any semblance of risk? Even the faction transfers don't seem to have the ability to fit into more than one box, except, of course, when it's convenient to the plot. The premise is ridiculous. I didn't notice this as much in Divergent. Maybe the constant action distracted me. Who knows. But the idea that Tris has this magical brain but still makes the most idiotic decisions baffles me.

Speaking of idiotic decisions, can I just say how out of character it is for Tris to team up with Marcus? She makes it so painfully obvious how much she hates him, and then he dangles the promise of what's outside in front of her, some little bit of information she doesn't know, and she basically says, "Okay, so you're a horrible person and you abused my boyfriend so much that he ran away to Dauntless to get away from you, and I don't think I can trust you on anything, but I guess you know something I don't so I'm going to team up with you just in case you're telling the truth." Tris knows that this likely means the end of her relationship with Tobias. She knows that there's little chance that Marcus is going to fulfill his end of the bargain. But she doesn't seem to care. And in the end? Don't even get me started.

I was expecting something great and explosive for the ending. Something to make the previous, what, 500 pages? be worth it. What did we get? A cop-out. Okay, it's bad outside too. People are too selfish, so they wiped memories and sorted people into neat little boxes, and waited for the Divergent to emerge to save the world. This supposedly has happened in only two generations, since when Tris is trying to break into the lab, it's revealed that she's a second-generation. I'm sorry, but if people were specifically engineered to fit into neat little boxes, the population of Divergent would not be so high after only two generations. But that's a topic for a different conversation.

This review barely scratches the surface of my feelings about the book. I haven't even touched on the confusing faction-jumping that goes on throughout -- they run between faction headquarters so often that I couldn't even keep track of where they were, and I read this book over two days with no substantial breaks. I didn't even get into how confusing the motivations of the characters are -- is Caleb good or evil? What about Peter? Tobias's mom? Is the book meant to be this confusing? The more I think about it, the angrier I get. Divergent was a great dystopian novel. Insurgent is a terrible, disjointed romance novel with a little bit of dystopia thrown in. Will I still read Allegiant? Most likely, if for no other reason than to clear up all the questions I have post-Insurgent.
  Sara.Newhouse | Feb 11, 2016 |
Oh my gosh - even more of a thrill than the first. Nothing is what it seems. And instead of tiring on the concept, the end leaves you actually craving the third installment. I had to re-read this to pick up all that was going on - and I'm SO GLAD I did... ( )
  bjoelle5 | Feb 10, 2016 |
This felt slower than Divergent and I didn't enjoy it quite as much. I felt the "Big Secret" at the end wasn't really that much of a surprise and a bit of an anti climax. I'll finish the series though. ( )
  Laurochka | Feb 6, 2016 |
Too many teenage relationship issues and not enough revolution. Still an enjoyable read. ( )
  tashlyn88 | Feb 5, 2016 |
I won't write a spoiler here, but Veronica Roth really has a way of wrapping up the end of the story while leaving the reader gasping at the revelation, and desperate to read more.

Veronica Rothprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Galvin, EmmaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Like a wild animal, the truth is too powerful to remain caged.

-From the Candor faction manifesto
To Nelson,

who was worth every risk
I wake with his name in my mouth.

Tris Prior survives the Erudite simulation attacks that occur during the time she expected to be celebrating her achievement of being ranked first among the initiate class of her chosen faction, Dauntless. Even though the Dauntless have been freed from Erudite mind control, a war develops and secrets emerge.

"As war surges in the dystopian society around her, sixteen-year-old Divergent Tris Prior must continue trying to save those she loves--and herself--while grappling with haunting questions of grief and forgiveness, identity and loyalty, politics and love"--… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,156,504 books! | Top bar: Always visible