Insurgent: Collector's Edition…

Insurgent: Collector's Edition (Divergent) (original 2013; edition 2012)

by Veronica Roth

Title:Insurgent: Collector's Edition (Divergent)
Authors:Veronica Roth
Info:Katherine Tegen Books (2012), Edition: Har/Pstr C, Hardcover, 592 pages

Insurgent by Veronica Roth (2013)

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (Anonymous user)
    Incarceron by Catherine Fisher (peptastic)
    The Maze Runner by James Dashner (Waterbuggg)
    Waterbuggg: Both books are action-packed and have a similar premise and secret.
    XVI by Julia Karr (kathleen.morrow)
    kathleen.morrow: Both are well-written dystopians with complicated and developed female protagonists and excellent plotting.
    The Iron Butterfly by Chanda Hahn (SayoC)
    Die Verratenen by Ursula Poznanski (Camaho)

English (449)  Spanish (3)  Piratical (1)  German (1)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (456)
I read Divergent a million years ago it seems (just after it's release) and adored it. I forgot about it until Allegient came out and then the movie so I watched the movie and remembered why I loved Divergent so I had to go read Insurgent right away. It wasn't perfect but it was still pretty good. There were some massive plot holes here and there but the book was okay and did pretty well for a trilogy middle novel. I enjoyed it.

After reading reviews for Allegient I won't be reading it as I did enjoy these first two novels and I don't want to ruin them. I hope the movie franchise can save the series and turn the ending into what it should be. Never thought I would say that. ( )
1 vote mojo09226 | Nov 12, 2015 |
POV: 1st Person
Genre: Fantasy/Dystopian
Insurgent starts off where Divergent leaves and it is a roller coaster of action and emotions. Tris' decisions oftentimes border on bravery/idiocy, but you can always see why she chooses to do what she does even if you don't necessarily agree. At times she is capable of acting wise above her years and others you are reminded that she is only 16. There are twists in Insurgent that I did not see coming and it was refreshing to be taken by surprise. I again (as with Divergent) felt the emotional impact of this book and had a hard time putting it down. Roth is able to pull you completely into the story and make you temporarily forget that you are not really within the walls of that city. ( )
1 vote Kristymk18 | Nov 12, 2015 |
I love "on the edge of my seat" endings . . especially when they revolve around finishing the second book of a terrific trilogy! Veronica Roth's third,and final, book of the Divergent Trilogy, Allegiant, is inching toward me on my beloved library's HOLD list. Thankfully, for me, anticipation is something I embrace with open arms. ( )
1 vote idajo2 | Nov 3, 2015 |
Até 50% deste danado era 5 estrelas. A diabinha enjoada cresceu lindamente, mas o rapaz ficou besta. Equilibrio saudade.Depois da enrolaçãozinha que fez perder uma estrela a história foi ficando interessante de novo e fechou bem simpática. Estou até surpresa. Daria 4,5 se fosse possível. ( )
1 vote MarthaNunes | Nov 2, 2015 |
I didn’t read this straight after ‘Divergent’, the first of the trilogy, and so felt at a bit of a loss at the beginning of ‘Insurgent’. I could have done with a brief recap, a couple of paragraphs would have sufficed. So this made me irritated for the first few pages.
Book two is very action-led and the pace fairly trips along. I’m still trying to get a handle on Tris’s character, she is a complex mixture of two factions: her upbringing in Abnegation [considerate, selfless] and her adopted faction Dauntless [brave, daring, reckless]. It’s a dangerous mixture which gets her into trouble, and that drives the story along. She is confrontational, brave, but often makes questionable decisions. She distrusts Four’s father and believes he is misleading them: “…sometimes, if you want the truth, you have to demand it.” Demand, not ask: this tells me more about Tris than about Four’s father Marcus.
We do see more of Tris’s inner world in book two compared with book one, perhaps because she is maturing into her Divergent personality. “I drift off to sleep, carried by the sound of distant conversations. These days it’s easier for me to fall asleep when there is noise around me. I can focus on the sound instead of whatever thoughts would crawl into my head in silence. Noise and activity are the refuges of the bereaved and guilty.” And she is both.
A major difficulty for me with this book was keeping track of the huge list of characters. I don’t like books with a cast list at the front, but that’s what I needed with ‘Insurgent’. Coupled to this is the lack of clarity about the main enemy: who is it? There’s lots of infighting to keep track of too, petty squabbles some of which have carried forward from the first book and which I had forgotten. There is no one single enemy, no Voldemort or President Snow.
Perhaps there should be fewer factions. No wonder Tris is confused: “Sometimes I feel like I am collecting the lessons each faction has to teach me, and storing them in my mind like a guidebook for moving through the world. There is always something to learn, always something that’s important to understand.” She seems to think that there is a cut-off date by which she will have learned everything. But adults carry on learning until they die.
Read more of my book reviews at http://www.sandradanby.com/book-reviews-a-z/ ( )
1 vote Sandradan1 | Oct 30, 2015 |
I won't write a spoiler here, but Veronica Roth really has a way of wrapping up the end of the story while leaving the reader gasping at the revelation, and desperate to read more.

Veronica Rothprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Galvin, EmmaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Like a wild animal, the truth is too powerful to remain caged.

-From the Candor faction manifesto
To Nelson,

who was worth every risk
I wake with his name in my mouth.

Tris Prior survives the Erudite simulation attacks that occur during the time she expected to be celebrating her achievement of being ranked first among the initiate class of her chosen faction, Dauntless. Even though the Dauntless have been freed from Erudite mind control, a war develops and secrets emerge.

"As war surges in the dystopian society around her, sixteen-year-old Divergent Tris Prior must continue trying to save those she loves--and herself--while grappling with haunting questions of grief and forgiveness, identity and loyalty, politics and love"--… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,856,899 books! | Top bar: Always visible