Insurgent: Collector's Edition…

Insurgent: Collector's Edition (Divergent) (original 2013; edition 2012)

by Veronica Roth

Member:terra_incognita
Title:Insurgent: Collector's Edition (Divergent)
Authors:Veronica Roth
Info:Katherine Tegen Books (2012), Edition: Har/Pstr C, Hardcover, 592 pages
Rating:****1/2

Insurgent by Veronica Roth (2013)

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (Anonymous user)
    Incarceron by Catherine Fisher (peptastic)
    The Maze Runner by James Dashner (Waterbuggg)
    Waterbuggg: Both books are action-packed and have a similar premise and secret.
    XVI by Julia Karr (kathleen.morrow)
    kathleen.morrow: Both are well-written dystopians with complicated and developed female protagonists and excellent plotting.
    The Iron Butterfly by Chanda Hahn (SayoC)
    Die Verratenen by Ursula Poznanski (Camaho)

English (487)  Spanish (4)  Piratical (1)  German (1)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (495)

“We both have war inside us. Sometimes it keeps us alive. Sometimes it threatens to destroy us.”

I think I enjoyed this more than the first because we got the tense situations of group choosing out of the way, ditching some of the clique stuff that I found annoying. Since there's no trials in this book as part of the Dauntless house, I wasn't maddened by that either.

That leaves the main character Tris, accompanied by love interest Tristan and some fellow comrades from various houses, to group together and try to destroy the foe who wants to crush them all. We go from tense plot moments where characters are betrayed, surprised or intrigued - to some more frustrating moments where bullheaded characters irritate me once again. The ending...well, I'm not sure where it's going but I have an idea, and I'm not sure how well it will work without giving it a chance in the third novel.

Roth writes well enough; she keeps it simple and easily digestible, even if some of the dialogue is overly interrupted. Characters have some mood swings that grow trying but overall they're decent. I'm not in love with any of them - including not being wholly convinced of the rope-tight bond between Tris and Four - but it was clever to have betrayals in the camps among friends and saviors from standing foes.

There's some emotional down time but not much angst, and it works with tense moments when I wasn't sure how the character would get out of the situation. Due to this, it's easy to keep reading and hard to put down. ( )
  Paperbackstash | Jun 14, 2016 |
Divergent was much better than this one.  It started to get too far out for my enjoyment.  I won't read Alligent. ( )
  winterslights | Jun 12, 2016 |
This was really good, but I found the intricacies of the plot a little hard to follow at times. I'm enjoying the development of the relationship between Tris and Tobias, but finding the twists a little wearing. But I 'm happy to wait for the sequel! ( )
  mmacd3814 | May 30, 2016 |
More of a 3.5 star read. I couldn't get into this one like I did the first one. It took me over a year to finish it. ( )
  LenaR0307 | May 30, 2016 |
Harder to get into than the first book. Seemed to be less content and slower moving as well. Also a bit nastier and grim in parts which made it hard going ( )
  Felicity-Smith | May 29, 2016 |
I won't write a spoiler here, but Veronica Roth really has a way of wrapping up the end of the story while leaving the reader gasping at the revelation, and desperate to read more.

Roth, Veronicaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Galvin, EmmaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Like a wild animal, the truth is too powerful to remain caged.

-From the Candor faction manifesto
To Nelson,

who was worth every risk
I wake with his name in my mouth.

Tris Prior survives the Erudite simulation attacks that occur during the time she expected to be celebrating her achievement of being ranked first among the initiate class of her chosen faction, Dauntless. Even though the Dauntless have been freed from Erudite mind control, a war develops and secrets emerge.

"As war surges in the dystopian society around her, sixteen-year-old Divergent Tris Prior must continue trying to save those she loves--and herself--while grappling with haunting questions of grief and forgiveness, identity and loyalty, politics and love"--… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,714,885 books! | Top bar: Always visible