Blood Will Tell (Warriors of Ankh #1) by…

Blood Will Tell (Warriors of Ankh #1)

by Samantha Young

Originally reviewed at Witchmag's Boekenplank

I have to hand it to Samantha Young. Again and again she manages to write the most captivating beginnings. It’s easy to get taken and be warned, her stories won’t let you go till you’ve read it all. In this book too there’s a very griping start. With a very creepy memory that made me think of horror movies. And since I’m a scared-y-cat, it left a very deep and horrifying image for the rest of the night. The rest of this story also felt “dark” to me. I just can’t explain it any other way. There were no warm feelings ( or at least a lot of them) or bunnies and the like, only evil beings.

And that I had a bit of a problem with. This is the first time I’ve read a book were the main character is from a race that’s evil to the bone. The Blessed don’t seem to be capable of showing human emotions and they suck the life out of other people. And I had to bond with them? That was a bit hard to process, since me liking a character is based on how he or she behaves. Evil masterminds and such won’t receive much warmth from me. A character should have at least the ability to see what he or she does wrong and try to chance for the better. Otherwise they’ll fall in the “evil masterminds” category. This book however, twisted my conception with Stellen. The best big brother out there. And an evil being. I had a hard time coping with it and in turn this made the story feel even darker and more twisted. Which, to be honest, isn’t really my kind of thing, I prefer more “fluffy” stories ;)

Surprisingly, there was no romance in this story. Not that I felt the book was less because of this, but I just noticed it. Eden has enough to cope with without the whole falling in love thing and kissing would be deadly for the other party! I think Samantha Young reserved it for the next book and look forward to it ^^

The ending was a bit sudden. I know I could have seen it coming with the big showdown and such, but normally you can feel when a writer finishes a story. The pace gradually slows down, things get solved (or not). Anyway, I can usually feel it (or see it when I see how many pages are left ;) ). Not with this one. I still felt I was in the middle of the story, that this book wasn’t finished, there was no mellowing down of the pace. I wasn’t prepared for this story to end and therefore it was so sudden it didn’t satisfy me. I was left with too many questions and loose ends to really feel that this was the end (and yes I know this is a series, but even then there’s usually some kind of ending).

Conclusion

3 HEARTS. It’s a great book to read, but a bit too dark and twisted for me. With all the evil beings who can be good, but are still evil. That was a bit hard to understand. Surprisingly, there’s no romance, but it didn’t feel like there had to be. There’s enough other stuff to worry about. The ending felt a little too sudden and wasn’t satisfying. ( )
  Iris-Boekenplank | Dec 21, 2013 |
A few months ago Blood Past was offered for free on Amazon so I downloaded it even though it was book 2 in The Warriors of Ankh series. Then I was gifted Blood Will Tell from a fanpage on FB and I started reading and was hooked instantly.

Now, I'm not saying it was the best book ever. Eden was very annoying. She made dumb choices and kept stupid things from people but it was regular YA book stuff. Noah was equally annoying but again your everyday run of the mill YA annoying.

The story was good, even the parts that drag read fast enough that I didn't get bored. The story was character lite. Even though there were a lot of them named so few mattered that it didn't get distracting. The start of the book was so far from the end that it made book 2 very needed and also very appealing. Which is awesome. That is how it should be done.

Now on to the story. Eden is torn. She knows she is a monster. Her survival means preying on innocent souls. She does not want to do this but her entire family is pressuring her, including her beloved brother. To make things worse, her best friend, Noah, has awaken a hunger in her so strong it is damn near impossible to resist. It is not the romantic hunger but one that would leave him dead if she gave in and oh how she wants to give in... Trying to save both their souls she does the only thing possible, pushes him away as she gives into the pressures of her Tyrannical father, unfeeling mother and her sociopath of a cousin who is also her betrothed? Yuck.

Noah is keeping a secret from Eden. A secret that feels like betrayal. A secret that ends with a death. How can Eden be helped by people she can't trust?

Sounds all twisty turny right? It is. And I loved every moment of it. ( )
  CatholicKittie | Oct 8, 2012 |
There is a very funny story as to why I bought this book. I was on my phone with my blogger friend, Trini from A Book Lovers Review along with Damaris from Good Choice Reading, were trying to get me to buy a book they recommended. Trini yelled," NO Savannah! Buy Slammed, you'll love it." And then Dee was like," NO! Buy Blood Will Tell." Because these wonderful ladies crack me up, I gave in and bought both. In the end, Dee won and I decided to read Blood Will Tell first. FYI: I made Trini sad. LOL!

Onward with the review, my verdict. Holy freaking crap! Why hadn't I read this book sooner. And thank you Dee for yelling at me to read it first! Geez, I zoomed through this book. It was raw, dark, gritty and dangerously addicting. At the end, I sat there amazed, then quickly got back on to phone to report my status to Dee. She squealed with delight. And suffice to say Ms. Young gained a new fan! For one thing, I like a dark plot. Mixed in with what is right and what is wrong, you always have a choice. Just liked Eden.She knew who she wanted to be, it was up to her to get there. But with so many voices and people telling you who you are and who to be, how do you know who to trust and what do to. Take it from me when I say, HELL TO THE YEAH, this book ROCKED!

The love interest is right on target as well as forbidden. Forbidded love, don't you just love it. You can't be together, yet you steals moments just to gaze into each other eyes. Not to mention, prophecies in the wake, your time is ticking. I loved this love. I can't wait to read the next book and to see where it goes.

Blood Will Tell is an amazing story. Raw and out of the box, the energy flowing from the story accelerated the reader into a world of war and death. A well-crafted dark story that leaves the reader utterly speechless, Blood Will Tell knocks you off your feet! ( )
  Bookswithbite | Aug 30, 2012 |
Fantastic! This was a supernatural young adult novel without an obvious romantic side story which was a surprisingly refreshing change of pace. The story was focused on the difficulties the main character was undergoing in trying to figure out who she really is...and what she really is. I really can't say enough good things about this book. It was a page turner. You're drawn into really caring about the characters and the mythological backdrop was so intriguing. Not to mention, the author just really has a way with putting you in the midst of the scenes. Loved it! ( )
  ThriftyMorgana | May 3, 2012 |
You can read this review over on my blog, too: http://abnormallyparanormal.blogspot.com/2012/04/book-review-blood-will-tell-by-...

Plot: Eden is a soul eater, a type of human-like being that has to eat human souls in order to live. But, she hates the idea of having to kill people just to feed herself and resists the urge to cave into her baser instincts, daily. Her best friend Noah doesn't help much since he's so yummy in more ways than one. But, he's on an assignment from the order of the Ankh—immortal warriors who hunt and kill soul eaters. Eden is a special soul eater, and Noah needs to see if she can be saved from the demonic side of herself before she takes her first soul, or it will be too late.

Characters: Eden is a grumpy teenager with a very dysfunctional family, and not just because they're all soul eaters. Her father, Ryan, is even a deviant amongst his own kind, being a sadistic, perverted killer/rapist along with Eden's cousin, Teagan, who lives with her. The only bright spot at home is her older brother, Stellan, who never kills any of his victims. He's a really sweet character, always protecting her, especially from Teagan, whom she must marry at age eighteen. Oddly, enough I liked Teagan the best. He has a kind of sass I find really fun in villain characters. Ryan, although right on the same level of perversion as Teagan, just has no personality other than being a d-bag. Noah is a nice guy, tall, handsome and caring, but when Eden discovers who he really is, it causes major mistrust issues. I like that he and Eden had already known each other for six months when the story began. No insta-love, since Noah's hardly a real teenager, anyway. As if!

Writing: It's good, definitely nothing to worry about. I love how it was written in such a way that you could literally read the entire novel in one sitting, although I didn't do that. But, it's a very fast and engaging read. We also get alternating POV's between Eden and Noah, all done in 3rd person, and not confusing at all.

Storytelling: I found myself sucked right into this story, even though Eden isn't that likable of a protagonist. She basically pushes everybody away, perhaps in an effort to protect them from herself, since she grows more and more dangerous to the humans around her. I can forgive her for being a teenager and sympathize with her horrible home life. Her dad and Teagan are a couple of sickos. Ryan has a basement in his mansion and brings all his victims there to rape and torture them before eating their souls. It's unnecessary to do any of these things just to eat souls, but he and Teagan relish in being sick freaks. Ryan likes Teagan so much, he promised he could marry Eden (they're first cousins—gag) when she turns eighteen, and Teagan constantly sexually harasses Eden. She completely loathes him. (Although, I like him because he's sassy!) I feel so bad for her life and the pressure she's under to go through with the soul eater ceremony to become one, officially. She doesn't want to, at all. Noah hopes to get her away from her family to join his because she actually does belong with the Ankh, too. It's very interesting how the whole story plays out, and Eden ranges from being an irritable teenager to an overwhelmed girl struggling with unbearable urges to kill innocent people.

Overall Quality: Really good. I didn't notice any plot holes or world-building problems. Everything seems to make sense within the world created.

Favorite Scene/Moment: This wasn't a favorite scene, but one that stuck out to me. Eden finally went down into her father's torture basement and found a girl her age chained to a bed. She had a chance to save her, but instead, ran back upstairs and vomited in her toilet. I just thought that was a sad, weak moment for her, although she redeems herself of this cowardice later on. Eden is made out to be a pretty realistic teenager who isn't perfect, but still manages to do the right thing, in time.

I'll be reading the next book, if anything, because I want to see more of Teagan and how he plays out as a significant villain character....*hee-hee*

(There is some graphic violence, just so you know!) ( )
  Cathy_Keaton | Apr 30, 2012 |
Her brother, Stellan, was always telling her curiosity killed the cat.

From Amazon:
What would you do if you were born to be a predator? Would you fight your natural instincts or give in to your nature?

Eden is a soul eater closing in on her Awakening. Her family has convinced her that soon she will have to take a life in order to save her own. It’s a decision Eden doesn’t want to deal with even as her hunger for souls grows stronger every day.

To complicate her impossible position, new guy in school Noah Valois’ determination to befriend her puts Eden in touch with a humanity she’s never known. Addicted to his company, his friendship and affection, she becomes more and more terrified that giving into her hunger will mean losing him forever…

… But when she discovers that Noah is not what he seems, his betrayal forces her to face two choices. One will offer her revenge and the destruction of a boy she loved. The other may offer her a life of eternal redemption…

YA Paranormal fiction for mature teens+ (some content may not be appropriate for younger readers)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,332,198 books! | Top bar: Always visible