The Serpent Club by Tom Coffey

The Serpent Club

by Tom Coffey

1st (1) boyfriend (1) city (1) crime (2) Crime Scene (1) deadbeat (1) decay (1) dj (1) F2 (1) facts (1) father (1) fiction (6) first novel (1) friends (1) gave away (2) glittery (1) good review(s) (1) HC (1) horror (2) mother (1) mystery (2) pretty (1) private school (1) questions (1) reporter (1) scene (1) surfer (1) thriller (3) to-read (2) veneer (1)

The story started out well. The author provide excellent descriptions of the character. The story seemed to switch directions as if not really sure what the conclusion should be. I'd read another by this author as this is his first novel. ( )
  gac53 | May 14, 2018 |
Well, the old adage holds true: You can't judge a book by it's cover. The title and illustration have very little do with the dark interior. Coffey is a talented writer and obviously knows his way around court houses and newspapers. But this book is way too dark and ugly for me, and I hope most people. I only stuck with it to see if the bad guys got their just desserts, and in this case, one of the bad guys was the main character in the story. They didn't. ( )
  repb | Aug 1, 2016 |
I've never read a novel by Tom COffey but I picked up this book in a sale at my library. Ted Lowe is a reporter for a newspaper who is stuck with an obsession to solve the case of a young girl who was murdered after he saw her battered body.

From Ted's own personal demons to the problems of everyone else, the twists and turns throughout the book made it hard for me to put down even though I predicted the end results. ( )
  daywsie000 | May 2, 2011 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0671028286, Mass Market Paperback)

Tom Coffey delivers a gut-wrenching debut, a sensational thriller that could be torn from today's headlines. Plunging deep into the morality of a city renowned for sin -- Los Angeles -- this edgy, piercing novel will carve its way into your psyche.

Her name is Megan Wright. Pretty. Thirteen. Nice house. Private school. When she is raped and murdered, it's a story, and Ted Lowe is the one to report it. He's been a reporter for many years, but this is the first time he actually sees a body. Megan was indeed pretty. The crime scene is anything but.

As Ted smoothly uncovers the facts surrounding Megan's death, he finds that the glittery facade of her perfect life was just that -- a thin veneer easily wiped away with the answers to a few well-placed questions. The suspects slowly accumulate: the cold-as-ice mother, the deadbeat surfer father, the friends, the boyfriend who happens to be the son of one of the richest men in California. It could be any one of them. For any reason.

As the spun-out decay of an entire city closes in around Ted, he realizes there are people who do not want this case solved. And if the life of a thirteen-year-old girl was worth taking, so is the life of a reporter who has seen too much.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:01:50 -0400)

As he investigates the rape and murder of a 13-year-old girl in Los Angeles, reporter Ted Lowe learns that the man who committed the crime was the victim's boyfriend. But he is the son of a billionaire who intends to save him from prosecution.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,339,905 books! | Top bar: Always visible