Christmas in Sugarcreek: A Seasons of…

Christmas in Sugarcreek: A Seasons of Sugarcreek Christmas Novel (edition 2011)

by Shelley Shepard Gray

Member:itsJUSTme
Title:Christmas in Sugarcreek: A Seasons of Sugarcreek Christmas Novel
Authors:Shelley Shepard Gray
Info:Avon Inspire (2011), Hardcover, 256 pages
Tags:Fiction, Christmas, Amish

Christmas in Sugarcreek by Shelley Shepard Gray

Believe it or not I could not make myself finish this book. I have loved all the others in the series.
Maybe it is me and not the books. ( )
  jnut1 | Mar 4, 2014 |
Judith Graber has always done what her family wants whether it is working in the family store, cooking, cleaning the house, or babysitting her younger siblings. But she sometimes thinks that no one cares about what she wants - which is to find someone she loves. Ben Knox, long considered a "bad boy" in the Amish community, is back in Sugarcreek - just long enough to sell his family's home. However, his plans may change as he grows closer to Judith and her family. Will both Ben and Judith find the love they've been looking for?

"Christmas in Sugarcreek" is the first book I've read in Shelley Shepard Gray's Seasons of Sugarcreek series, but it won't be the last. Although this is part of a series, I never felt lost and I quickly became caught up with the various characters. Set in the Amish and Mennonite communities, the novel has several plot lines. Newly married Lilly Miller is determined to be the perfect wife (even if she can't cook) and is searching for just the right gift for her husband Robert. Judith's brother Caleb loves Rebecca Yoder but wonders what secrets she is keeping from him. And there is the main plotline involving Judith and Ben. All of these are nicely done as three people - Ben, Lilly, and Rebecca - all struggle with feeling that they don't deserve love. Rebecca and Ben's story lines are especially moving. Ben is a particularly interesting character, not as "bad" as he pretends to be and it interesting to read as Gray slowly reveals various aspects of his character. The romance between Ben and Judith is very sweet. The Christmas setting is nice (Gray starts the book ten days before Christmas and ends it the day after) and it is always interesting to read how the Amish celebrate Christmas. The whole Amish setting is very nicely done.

"Christmas in Sugarcreek" is a nicely done novel and a perfect read for the holidays. ( )
  drebbles | Sep 12, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I won this from LibraryThing last year, but I didn't get it until after Christmas so I never read it. I decided to read it this season and I wasn't missing out on much. The writing was average and the story as well. It was a little interesting to read about Amish people, but the conflicts for the romances were so silly. Plus, there were 3 couples that the book was focusing on, and I really only wanted one, possibly two. It was such a small, quick read there was no reason to focus on so many people. ( )
  ladytaluka | Dec 9, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A wunderbaar Amish novel! I love Christmas time and I love Amish so this was a double bonus for me. Ms. Gray is one of my absolute favorite authors and her work just gets better with each new novel she writes. This Christmas story is continuing in the Sugarcreek series and brings the reader back to the heart of the Amish community. I absolutely loved every minute of this story and can't wait for more! ( )
  ReviewsbyMolly | Sep 14, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Gray's Seasons of Sugarcreek holiday installment, Christmas in Sugarcreek, is a sweet story of love and redemption. The book is a quick, easy read, but a moving read, nonetheless. It is the story of two young people who are each misunderstood in their own way. Judith is frustrated in a life where no one seems to appreciate her efforts to make everyones' lives easier. Ben is trying to find who his is and how he fits in the Amish church. They find comfort in each other and enjoy a special Christmas. ( )
  curls_99 | Aug 14, 2012 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0062089765, Hardcover)

Judith Graber has always been the obedient daughter. When her older brother Josh struggled with his love life, she offered wise counsel. When her younger brother Caleb flirted with the idea of leaving their order, she firmly told him he was wrong. Over the years, she’s watched her younger siblings, helped around the house, and worked in her family’s store during her spare time. Judith feels overworked, overlooked, and underappreciated this holiday season.

But everything changes when her father hires Ben Knox.

Ben Knox is the “bad boy” of Sugarcreek. Though he’s never considered jumping the fence, he’s certainly never tried to be anything close to dutiful. Two years ago he left Sugarcreek under a cloud of shame. Rumors circulated that his rumspringa had been filled with more than the usual harmless explorations.

Now he’s back and working side by side with Judith.

As the chaos of the holiday season threatens to sap all joy, sparks fly between Ben and Judith. But Judith steels herself to ignore her infatuation. The last thing she wants to be is just one more girl who falls under Ben’s spell. Ben, on the other hand, wants Judith to realize there’s more to him than his bad reputation. When he fled Sugarcreek, he was running from a disruptive home life. Now that he’s back, he wants a fresh beginning.

Could this Christmas season bring love and a new life for the unlikeliest pair in Sugarcreek?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:47:47 -0400)

As the holidays approach, dutiful daughter Judith Graber, feeling overwhelmed, overworked and under appreciated, is attracted to her father's new employee, Ben Knox, Sugarcreek's own "bad boy", but refuses to be another one of his conquests.

90 wanted1 pay4 pay

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Christmas in Sugarcreek by Shelley Shepard Gray was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,147,638 books! | Top bar: Always visible